Author Topic: TPMS unit replaced  (Read 22682 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: TPMS unit replaced
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2013, 04:51:26 AM »
True enough but not all of us that frequent both sides feel that way. Some of us do what we can to take 'the minds and hearts' of people in a soothing direction but it ain't easy or fast.  The very best news is that there are people joining both places every day that have no history or ax to grind in either direction and over time, and with positive encouragement, I think things will move in a less hostile direction. Certainly some evil things happened, and some were wronged and cannot get past that, and I respect those feelings but still here we all are an it does not look like anyone is going away. That leaves us two choices: coexist harmoniously or coexist with hostility.

OK, off soap box now. :D

Brian
COG #9125, Northeast area assistant area director. (AAD or ADD, whichever you like best)

Entropy?    ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2013, 04:56:17 AM »

well, Veni-Vidi-Vici...
 it seems true, coming from the people who wrote it... ( the part about sealed TPS units...)

I personally visit both sites, but have had a good dose of "poke him in the eye.... burn him.... he's a Witch...." from those folks still...
(as you saw firsthand over there.... ;)  )

as for "harmony", I got biotch slapped by The Bob, and others, for mistakingly posting a link to the rust removal post here, forgetting it required a login.... man, 4 pages of freakin' whining.... ::)

than they said, oh great stuff...(after I posted it there for them....I hate double posting....)

::) go figger'

"help, help, I'm being repressed...."

http://youtu.be/kNKSzmM44gE

at least we can see the humor in posting Monty python....

And The Bob even resulted in name calling. He called me a real piece of....work.  :o

I think that this part was later 'sanitized'.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2013, 05:30:52 AM »
It's simple enough to replace the batteries, Max, in the current sensors.

If I had xray vision and could magically reach my hands in through the tires, yes.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2013, 07:55:47 AM »
And The Bob even resulted in name calling. He called me a real piece of....work.  :o

I think that this part was later 'sanitized'.

Your point being? ;)

If I had xray vision and could magically reach my hands in through the tires, yes.

With enough martinis, anything is possible.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2013, 09:31:35 AM »

Offline Conrad

« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2013, 04:30:46 AM »
Your point being? ;)

Point? Point? I don't need no stinkin point!    :)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2013, 04:32:10 AM »
Exactly.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline phoneman

« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2013, 05:36:41 PM »
  Just a heads-up in case anyone is needing their TPMS units replaced.

It seems that Kawasaki has gone to a different sensor.  This new sensor is made so that it can not be opened up--therefore you won't be able to replace the batteries in these.

If you do need a sensor replaced make sure the dealer orders the " nut " that goes with the new style sensor.

I went last Saturday to the local ( closest ) Kaw dealer to get my rear sensor replaced--along with a new rear tire.  Hey--might as well get the tire mounted for free.

After I had been there about an hour the service manager told me there was a problem.  I looked at him and said " they didn't send the nut with the new sensor did they ".  He looked at me and said " how did you know ? ".  Told him I read someone else had run into the same problem just recently.

He said he didn't even know that Kawasaki had changed to a new style of sensor.  He didn't charge me for mounting the tire and said as soon as he got the " nut " I could bring the bike back and he'd get the sensor installed.  Free of course since I have the GTPP.

I guess he could have charged me for the tire install but he didn't--which I thought was a pretty good deal.  I bought some other stuff while I was there so they still made a little money.

Just remember--if you need a new sensor make sure they get the " nut ".

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2013, 07:25:18 PM »
Yeah, it is looking that way and the far worse problem than getting the nut or not is that in the future, we will not be able to change out the batteries in the TPS sensors. Depending on what Kawasaki charges for these new sensors, it may put is C-14 owners in a real spot in the future. I am working on part numbers and costs of the new sensors now. If by chance they are reasonable in price, say, $30 or so, then it won't be a problem. But at the old price of around $200 plus the cost of the dealer programming the bike to recognize the sensors, there are going to be a lot of older C-14's running around with non- working TPS systems as the years go by.

Brian

Just a heads-up in case anyone is needing their TPMS units replaced.

It seems that Kawasaki has gone to a different sensor.  This new sensor is made so that it can not be opened up--therefore you won't be able to replace the batteries in these.

<snip>

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline phoneman

« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2013, 06:16:05 AM »
  I have a question that I have been holding ever since I bought my 2009 a couple of months ago.

Is there any way possible to just turn off or disable the whole TPMS when the batteries go bad ?

It is kinda a pain in the butt to have a sensor going out and at the same time having the TPMS take over the display.  It's a nice feature and all but if there is not a work around I may just sell the bike before I get much more money invested in it.

The more I ride the bike the more I like it---and the more I spend on making it fit me.  Yall know the drill.

If there is a way to get around this I will probably just turn it off and keep riding.  I do have an air gauge.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2013, 06:49:10 AM »
I believe that once they are really truly dead, the messages stop.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2013, 08:23:06 AM »
Yeah, what Jim said. The only way I know to stop the sensors from transmitting the warning message, along with the tire's pressure, is to remove power from the unit; cutting either battery leg will do the trick. Unfortunately, the tire's bead must be broken at the very least, the sensor removed and the sensor partially dissembled.

I also understand this process will work to stop the voices in your head if only you can find the right wire....  ;D

Brian

I have a question that I have been holding ever since I bought my 2009 a couple of months ago.

Is there any way possible to just turn off or disable the whole TPMS when the batteries go bad ?

It is kinda a pain in the butt to have a sensor going out and at the same time having the TPMS take over the display.  It's a nice feature and all but if there is not a work around I may just sell the bike before I get much more money invested in it.

The more I ride the bike the more I like it---and the more I spend on making it fit me.  Yall know the drill.

If there is a way to get around this I will probably just turn it off and keep riding.  I do have an air gauge.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2013, 08:31:17 AM »
I'm getting used to those voices, Brian.  I'd be lonely without them and so would they without me.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2013, 08:40:17 AM »
Really Jim, or is that just your own false sense of self- importance? I personally think the voices would do at least as well without my interference and especially, my interference. Why right now one of them.... never mind, it is too fantastic to print here.

:rotflmao:

Brian

I'm getting used to those voices, Brian.  I'd be lonely without them and so would they without me.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2013, 09:04:37 AM »
23f this morning on the way into work. I got the low battery warning from both the front and the rear sensors. These are warranty replacements from last year. Since they still worked after I cleared the screen I guess I can live with that, especially since the warning went away after about 10 mins of riding.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2013, 09:11:13 AM »
Still tracking down information but it looks like the new sensors are potted. Might want to keep the set you have and just change batteries.

Brian

23f this morning on the way into work. I got the low battery warning from both the front and the rear sensors. These are warranty replacements from last year. Since they still worked after I cleared the screen I guess I can live with that, especially since the warning went away after about 10 mins of riding.

Offline PH14

« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2013, 09:32:02 AM »

I put my voices to work a long time ago. I figured if they were going to hang around, they could work and support me.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2013, 09:54:48 AM »
I put my voices to work a long time ago. I figured if they were going to hang around, they could work and support me.

Excellent philosophy!

Still tracking down information but it looks like the new sensors are potted. Might want to keep the set you have and just change batteries.

Brian

Potted eh?  We should all be so lucky.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2013, 10:21:44 AM »

;D

Offline Conrad

« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2013, 11:11:21 AM »

Domestic or imported?