Author Topic: removing fairings  (Read 17880 times)

Offline S.Ga.Rider

removing fairings
« on: May 17, 2011, 12:06:39 PM »
Any tips for removing the fairings? I am going to remove the mids and raise the tank to check the air filter/header nuts and install some heat reflective material. Last year I had a problem with the heat coming from the seam of the gas tank and mids. I have never removed any of the fairings so is their any tricks or tips? It looks like a major pita.

Offline okxd45

Re: removing fairings
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 12:14:43 PM »
Subscribe. :popcorn:
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 12:27:52 PM »

Offline ZedHed

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 01:00:54 PM »
Watch for the hidden screws under the black top pieces connecting the dash to the upper fairing.  There is 2 screws under those pieces so you have to remove them before you can remove the middle fairing pieces.  Everything else is straight-forward.  Also, keep track of where the different screws go -- there are alot of different sizes and shapes.
"Life is a hard teacher - you get the test before the lesson is taught..."

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 01:09:07 PM »
Maybe Maxtog will be along shortly to offer some assistance, he was a big help quoting from the manual in the 'low fuel indicator disables other computer' thread.

"Remove to the bike on the side.  Depress indicator to happiness whilst move remaining hand to indicator on different location.  Undepress simultaneously until feel of process is complete.  Clear of the code in display will resulting"

Sorry, he just cracked me up with that. I still laugh about it when I think of it.  :rotflmao:
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 02:18:44 PM »
Taking them off isn't that difficult.  Remove the glove box and glove box tray.  Then remove the three bolts of the black filler panels (textured panels next to the gas tank).  You can remove the fairings without completely removing the filler panels but I find it cumbersome and worry about braking the locating tabs that go through the side panels so I also remove the push rivet under the windscreen and take the filler panels completely out of the picture.  To remove those rivets I cut a piece of wire hanger to about six inches, ground the end to a sharp angle and also put a bend in it.  This will allow you to push the center of the push rivet down (about 1/8th inch) then use the sharpened end to get under the rivet and gently pry it up.
Remove the side air deflectors, then the bolts that hold the side panels in place.  Of course this is for 08 and 09, there may be some changes for a 10 or 11.  It really isn't that difficult.  Getting all of the locating tabs that are on the various plastic bits is a slightly harder task when you reassemble but if you take your time it will go together with few swear words uttered.  Hope this makes sense.
T.S.R.

Offline Armyguns

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 02:41:10 PM »
I HIGHLY recommend purchasing the DVD set from Fred:  http://www.angelridevideos.com/

After watching the video you will should be able to remove AND replace the required pieces plus do all kinds of other routine service. 

2010 C14 ABS

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 03:30:30 PM »
Maybe Maxtog will be along shortly to offer some assistance, he was a big help quoting from the manual in the 'low fuel indicator disables other computer' thread.

"Remove to the bike on the side.  Depress indicator to happiness whilst move remaining hand to indicator on different location.  Undepress simultaneously until feel of process is complete.  Clear of the code in display will resulting"

Sorry, he just cracked me up with that. I still laugh about it when I think of it.  :rotflmao:

Made me laugh yet another time.  It reminds me of the first time I discovered http://engrish.com
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline JoeR

• COG 9284 / AMA 668669
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 03:39:13 PM »
The screws that contact painted surfaces have clear washers under them.  Don't drop them, they are a pain to find. 

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 03:49:23 PM »
Which year C-14?

The fairings are not too bad to remove on an '08 / '09 but there is a sequence.

Brian

Any tips for removing the fairings? I am going to remove the mids and raise the tank to check the air filter/header nuts and install some heat reflective material. Last year I had a problem with the heat coming from the seam of the gas tank and mids. I have never removed any of the fairings so is their any tricks or tips? It looks like a major pita.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline okxd45

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 05:52:35 PM »
Which year C-14?

The fairings are not too bad to remove on an '08 / '09 but there is a sequence.

Brian

For me it's an 09'.  Sequence please? :hail:
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 06:18:04 PM »
This applies to '08s and '09s only. 2010s and 2011s are similar but different.

Open the glovebox and remove the two screws at the back. Remove the glovebox cover. You have to remove the rivet (one on each side) behind the windshield that is holding the black fairing covers on; you can do this with a bent piece of wire and depress the center post of the rivet and then fish the rivet itself out or you can remove the windshield so you can get to the rivets. I remove the windshield as it is quick- four hex head screws holding the bearing covers over the windshield and two hex bolts under them actually holding the windshield on.

Remove the three screws on each black fairing cover and remove the covers. This does NOT take any force but it does take a bit of fiddling to remove the clip toward the outside of the bike- go easy and don't force anything.

Remove the battery fairing cover screw and the battery fairing cover.

Remove all the small fasteners on each side of the mid- fairings. Note that there are two fairing screws INSIDE the fairing and they go straight down into the lower fairings. Remove the lower screw through the grate only; the top screw only holds the grate onto the mid- fairing. There is one push plug on the back of the fairing that must be popped out- do it by pulling gently on the back of the mid- fairing and do not pry it with tools. The back of the fairing will pull away from the bike and the front will be hooked by small plastic clips inside; wiggle the fairing around a bit and it will pop off without forcing anything.

The front fairings come off next: remove the two screws from the inside of the fairing just in front of the radiator. Then remove the screw at the very top of the outside of the fairing that goes into the fairing stay, one on each side. Then remove the two fairing screws at the top and the one fairing screw at the bottom where the forward fairing meets the lowers. Pop the fairing off the bike, reach behind it and disconnect the marker light wiring connection.

Remove the screw in the lowers, one on each side. The lower will drop to the floor; gently work it to one side or the other while rotating the entire lower and it will come out from under the bike. I find it MUCH easier to remove the lowers as a unit and not separate the two halves because the center rivets are pesky.

The front / sides of the bike are more or less naked at this point and any maintenance can be performed.

It is a lot easier the third time....

Brian

For me it's an 09'.  Sequence please? :hail:
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline okxd45

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 06:44:16 PM »
Pasting to word doc.......thank you! :)
Jeff

Offline Wile

• Kawasaki is Japanese for "Money Pit"
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2011, 10:24:33 AM »
I find it MUCH easier to remove the lowers as a unit and not separate the two halves because the center rivets are pesky.
Brian

Duh...
why didn't I think of that?
sometimes ya can't see the forest because of the trees
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.
Past Bikes...  A bunch.  Current Bikes 1975 Z1 (the rat bike) and a 2010 C14

Offline RideBellChain

• RideBellChain.com Send a bell, receive a free bell!
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 01:58:46 PM »
Is there a sequence written up for '10-'12?
Ride Safe!  Mark Turkel
http://www.RideBellChain.com
2012 Black Kawi Concours 14, 2008 Yami Royal Star Venture