Author Topic: M/C or car GPS??  (Read 15506 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: M/C or car GPS??
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2011, 05:29:01 PM »
Yeah, Kirby has mentioned that before.  :D

Back to the subject: I think the choice depends on the user more than anything else. I have used both dedicated motorcycle GPSs as well as automotive GPSs as secondary units, both covered in plastic baggies as well as inside a Ram Aqua mount. My take is that if you are counting on the GPS and cannot tolerate the time it may take to tinker with the GPS then the weatherproof version is almost required. The automotive types have displays that are not as bright as the Zumos, at least in my experience, and adding anything to shield them from the elements only makes it worse. If the GPS is being casually used and the person using it is not dependant on being able to see the unit clearly or hear the directions, then an automotive unit is probably fine.

Another thing to consider is that the motorcycle units, at least the Zumos, all support bluetooth and MP3 players which makes them much more useful if used with a motorcycle comm. system. They integrate nicely and allow easy and fast control and display of both the MP3 player and cell phone directly from the screen. Auto units are tending away from these functions and I do not think there are any current units that have both MP3 player and blue tooth capabilities.

All of that said, motorcycle GPSs are a terrible value IMO due to their high price. I own a Zumo 550 and use it all the time but I cannot justify the high price really.

Brian

Some people are easily amused. :-*
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2011, 05:42:15 PM »

Another thing to consider is that the motorcycle units, at least the Zumos, all support bluetooth and MP3 players which makes them much more useful if used with a motorcycle comm. system. They integrate nicely and allow easy and fast control and display of both the MP3 player and cell phone directly from the screen. Auto units are tending away from these functions and I do not think there are any current units that have both MP3 player and blue tooth capabilities.

The Garmin 765T has both bluetooth and built in mp3 that plays in stereo to your helmet speakers and can be picked up for less than $100...  :thumbs:

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2011, 05:56:23 PM »
It's not that hard to find units that have Bluetooth. The $130 unit I've ordered has that and also comes with "lifetime" maps. As far as having an MP3, I've got my iPhone.

The display brightness may be an issue, but I guess that's something I'll find out after I start really using it. I can always upgrade to the MUCH more expensive M/C units later if I find that I really need to.

This is my first foray into GPS on a M/C and I've never been "lost" badly enough that I didn't get where I was going, eventually.  ;)
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2011, 07:20:15 AM »
But I believe that is a discontinuted unit. I do not think there are any current units (non motorcycle) that have MP3 and bluetooth on board.

Brian

The Garmin 765T has both bluetooth and built in mp3 that plays in stereo to your helmet speakers and can be picked up for less than $100...  :thumbs:
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2011, 07:27:00 AM »
Yep, all of that is fine.

One of the problems with any battery operated unit, like your iphone, is that they need recharging. An MP3 player wired to the bike will work forever. Not much of a consideration for most perhaps but long distance riders definitely prefer non- battery operated devices because we often ride longer than the batteries last.

You sound like an ideal candidate for an auto GPS. A more casual GPS user who is not counting on it working, the auto units will represent a far better value than any dedicated motorcycle unit. Nothing wrong with the performance of the auto units either- in fact, I cannot find any functional difference between a Nuvi 350 and a Zumo 550 other than the fact that that specific Nuvi will not u/load entire routes. I think that GPS will serve you very well.

Brian

It's not that hard to find units that have Bluetooth. The $130 unit I've ordered has that and also comes with "lifetime" maps. As far as having an MP3, I've got my iPhone.

The display brightness may be an issue, but I guess that's something I'll find out after I start really using it. I can always upgrade to the MUCH more expensive M/C units later if I find that I really need to.

This is my first foray into GPS on a M/C and I've never been "lost" badly enough that I didn't get where I was going, eventually.  ;)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2011, 10:15:56 AM »
But I believe that is a discontinuted unit. I do not think there are any current units (non motorcycle) that have MP3 and bluetooth on board.

Brian

Yes, this is true Brian, the 765T is no longer offered new from Garmin but you can still pick them up off ebay. I'm tempted to just buy another one now to hoard in case anything ever happens to mine, can't beat the price value IMO...

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2011, 01:47:00 PM »
I've gotten flawless performance from my Zumo 550 since I bought it. My main worry with a non-motorcycle unit would be keeping it waterproof. Even if you only paid $50 for a unit, I hate to think that what's going to keep it dry is a 3 cent baggie. I've ridden through some heavy downpours and I was glad I didn't have to worry about the GPS. I also use it in my car a lot, too. With bluetooth, it works great as a hands free device in the car and it came with everything I needed to wire it to the bike (ram mount, cradle and power lead) and use it in the car (windshield mount and cigarette lighter adapter). It was expensive, but I think it was worth it.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2011, 01:49:28 PM »

There are different screen brightness levels depending on the type of power you are using.  I know this sounds crazy but it is true.  The battery option will be diminished, the usb cable option will also have a diminished level of brightness.  The brightest screen on the 765T will be achieved using the cigarette lighter connection.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2011, 02:42:22 PM »
There are different screen brightness levels depending on the type of power you are using.  I know this sounds crazy but it is true.  The battery option will be diminished, the usb cable option will also have a diminished level of brightness.  The brightest screen on the 765T will be achieved using the cigarette lighter connection.
The Nuvi 500 and 550 have brightness settings, 0% to 100%. I will set it at about 50% to save battery when not using the 12V connection. With the 12V hookup and 100% brightness setting I have never had a problem reading the screen.

The only compalint I have with the NUvi screen is that secondary roads are drawn in light gray on a pale green background and are hard for me to see in any lighting conditions. This is not an issue for follwing a route as the magenta route line is very easy to see.

For all I know, the above may also appy to Zumos.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2011, 05:30:05 PM »
My 765T is basically useless unless using the cig plug and brightness at 100%

Offline OCK913

• Arena
    • The Orlando Riders Club
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2011, 11:36:38 PM »

Brian

Brian, did you mean BOTH features? There are still plenty of units that have bluetooth, but MP3 is a missing from the current lineup.

I will have to try that. I had a 12volt cable from another model that used the USB plug for connection and it worked so I used it. I have seen another plug that plugs in the the adapter that snaps on to the back of the 765........if that connector will make it brighter then I'll be ordering one.

I'm tempted to just buy another one now to hoard in case anything ever happens to mine, can't beat the price value IMO...

I did just that! I bought a refurbished model from Newegg.com for $109.00. But I am tempted to start using it now becasue it has the newest 2012 map.
            2009 Kawasaki C14 - Black

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2011, 11:20:08 AM »
Brian, did you mean BOTH features? There are still plenty of units that have bluetooth, but MP3 is a missing from the current lineup.

I will have to try that. I had a 12volt cable from another model that used the USB plug for connection and it worked so I used it. I have seen another plug that plugs in the the adapter that snaps on to the back of the 765........if that connector will make it brighter then I'll be ordering one.

I did just that! I bought a refurbished model from Newegg.com for $109.00. But I am tempted to start using it now becasue it has the newest 2012 map.

I've found extra 12 volt cables (cig lighter) online for as little as $5, most under $10. Aftermarket, of course, not from Garmin. If your Garmin doesn't have the traffic feature, I think these inexpensive cables would work for a secondary for your car.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2011, 11:35:20 AM »

Yea, I used the USB with a USB to Cigarette adapter for the accessory plug on the C14 and my brightness was horrible.  I used the plug supplied by Garmin with the Cig style end and the screen was MUCH brighter.  I almost gave in and bought a Zumo but glad I figured it out. 

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2011, 01:17:41 PM »
Yes, automotive GPS units with both blue tooth and MP3 players are either difficult to find or are no longer manufactured.

As to the USB thing- note that Garmin uses a proprietary USB plug that allows the units to be powered up by the external 12 volt source as well as charge the battery at the same time. If you use a generic USB adapter, the unit can be powered by the external power source or the battery will be charged but it will not do both at the same time. This is because doing both simultaneously exceeds the current supplied by standard USB spec.'s (1/2 amp).

Brian

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2011, 01:21:12 PM »
Yes, Zumos have the same feature that reduces screen brightness to save battery power.

But in the end, the Nuvi units I have and have seen, when set to the brightest setting possible are still quite a bit less bright than a Zumo set to its brightest value. It is like the auto units run at 100% brightness but the Zumos run at 150% brightness :-)

As far as the map colors, they can be changed on the Nuvis that I have seen. You can choose one of several maps (four I think) although the nighttime colors are really only useful at night in my experience. You may also be able to download other map styles from third party sources.

Brian

The Nuvi 500 and 550 have brightness settings, 0% to 100%. I will set it at about 50% to save battery when not using the 12V connection. With the 12V hookup and 100% brightness setting I have never had a problem reading the screen.

The only compalint I have with the NUvi screen is that secondary roads are drawn in light gray on a pale green background and are hard for me to see in any lighting conditions. This is not an issue for follwing a route as the magenta route line is very easy to see.

For all I know, the above may also appy to Zumos.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2011, 01:24:12 PM »
Good info, I really would love a Zumo but have to settle for the Nuvi until I find some funding. 

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2011, 01:37:11 PM »
I use this to plug my 765T into my powerlet plug on my Heli risers.

http://www.powerlet.com/product/mini-usb-short-powerlet-cable/259

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2011, 01:40:38 PM »
Don't feel too left out; I have a Zumo and still think they are vastly overpriced. They also have a couple of quirks that are pretty annoying; the cradles tend to fail because (wait for it....) they are NOT WATERPROOF. Amazing but true- if you go to the start of a long distance rally and look in the parking lot the night before, you will see literally dozens of bikes with Zumo 550 mounts (empty mounts) covered with a plastic baggie! They are not waterproof when the unit is in the cradle either and the pins that make contact with the GPS itself eventually corrode away to nothing. Also, the electrical contacts on the bottom of a Zumo 550 are nothing more than an etched PC board- the discs that are the contacts are only about 0.002" thick. Eventually the pins on the cradle (before they rot away) dig holes through the copper discs on the Zumo and will no longer make contact. Garmin did replace a Zumo that did that on me at no charge but it was still inconvenient to have to do the mail exchange.

One thing that we do not seem to get with the very high priced Zumos, at least not the 450 and 550 version (the 660 and 665 have different electrical contact mechanisms so they may be better) is reliability. I have been through something like 7 or 8 Zumo 550s, all under an extended Best Buy warranty. But I have to say that I have little confidence the current one may will not fail at any moment. I like GPSs but I always carry two unless I am on a long trip when I carry three. The automotive units have the double advantage that they are much less expensive and they are carried by most local stores so the odds that one could be replace on a long trip are much better than a Zumo.

Funny and true story: a friend of mine used to go on about how reliable he has found Garmins to be and implied that the blame must be on me rather than the unit. He was doing a Saddlesore 1000 and was nearly back to the start point when his Zumo showed him the blue screen of death. He knew where he was going but he was counting on the trip log from the Zumo which of course was lost for all time. His confidence in the units is now a bit more ‘reality based’ than it was before IMO.

Brian

Good info, I really would love a Zumo but have to settle for the Nuvi until I find some funding.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2011, 02:39:34 PM »
I use this to plug my 765T into my powerlet plug on my Heli risers.

http://www.powerlet.com/product/mini-usb-short-powerlet-cable/259

OUCH, nice cable but over 1/3 the units cost.  How is the brightness?  Powerlet makes great cables so I am sure the brightness is the same as the Cig style Garmin.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2011, 02:43:51 PM »
Don't feel too left out; I have a Zumo and still think they are vastly overpriced. They also have a couple of quirks that are pretty annoying; the cradles tend to fail because (wait for it....) they are NOT WATERPROOF. Amazing but true- if you go to the start of a long distance rally and look in the parking lot the night before, you will see literally dozens of bikes with Zumo 550 mounts (empty mounts) covered with a plastic baggie! They are not waterproof when the unit is in the cradle either and the pins that make contact with the GPS itself eventually corrode away to nothing. Also, the electrical contacts on the bottom of a Zumo 550 are nothing more than an etched PC board- the discs that are the contacts are only about 0.002" thick. Eventually the pins on the cradle (before they rot away) dig holes through the copper discs on the Zumo and will no longer make contact. Garmin did replace a Zumo that did that on me at no charge but it was still inconvenient to have to do the mail exchange.

One thing that we do not seem to get with the very high priced Zumos, at least not the 450 and 550 version (the 660 and 665 have different electrical contact mechanisms so they may be better) is reliability. I have been through something like 7 or 8 Zumo 550s, all under an extended Best Buy warranty. But I have to say that I have little confidence the current one may will not fail at any moment. I like GPSs but I always carry two unless I am on a long trip when I carry three. The automotive units have the double advantage that they are much less expensive and they are carried by most local stores so the odds that one could be replace on a long trip are much better than a Zumo.

Funny and true story: a friend of mine used to go on about how reliable he has found Garmins to be and implied that the blame must be on me rather than the unit. He was doing a Saddlesore 1000 and was nearly back to the start point when his Zumo showed him the blue screen of death. He knew where he was going but he was counting on the trip log from the Zumo which of course was lost for all time. His confidence in the units is now a bit more ‘reality based’ than it was before IMO.

Brian

More great info.  I have a 2720  that I use and the Nuvi 765T is the backup.  I just require Mapsourse capability so no need for all the bells and whistles.  If Garmin made a MC unit that had basic functions and was glove friendly they would make a MINT.