Author Topic: M/C or car GPS??  (Read 15505 times)

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
Re: M/C or car GPS??
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2011, 05:00:01 AM »
definitely not worth the money difference in my opinion. With gloves, you can always put one of those tippy things on the tip of your GPS-operating-finger and get over the (as far as I can see) only drawback of a non-MC GPS: operating the touch screen. I have a 765T and it does everything and more. It can be had for a third of the price of a Zumo  ::)
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2011, 07:05:15 AM »
I have a Garmin 765T, got it new off ebay for about $150 (going off memory)...  ;)

Blue tooth directions to my Scala G4, built in mp3 that plays in stereo, a very solid unit and I've had zero problems with it or using it with both summer and winter gloves, best $150 I've ever spent for a gps, have had it for about a year now.  :thumbs:
I just looked at the 765T details and it sounds nice. Have you used the traffic feature and does it work well?
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2011, 08:28:26 AM »
in my opinion, the little 765T works lightyears better than a 3000$ navigation system mounted on a BMW car. The instructions are clearer, and of course* the traffic warnings are more up-to-date.

* I say of course because, as I discovered a few days ago, BMW cars (in fact, most cars) use an "official" traffic warning system. Navigation systems like Garmin's use other sources of data that include cell phone signals that are first "anonymised" and then collected to estimate the occupation factor of a road. This will be added to BMWs in the near future and be called RTTI.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 11:20:21 AM by martin_14 »
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2011, 08:42:54 AM »
gave up my ZUMO 550 for a droid and haven't looked back.

smart phones FTW
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2011, 09:44:48 AM »
I just looked at the 765T details and it sounds nice. Have you used the traffic feature and does it work well?

Yes, the traffic feature works well, first time I've ever had that feature on a gps though so not sure how it compares to others with that option.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2011, 10:18:00 AM »

Yes, the traffic feature works well, first time I've ever had that feature on a gps though so not sure how it compares to others with that option.
What exactly does it do? Visual and/or spoken warning of traffic up ahead? Does it suggest an alternative route? I just found out my Nuvi 500 is Traffic Compatible, whatever that means!

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2011, 10:32:24 AM »
Yes the traffic feature will put a red icon on your screen warning of traffic delays ahead.  It will lengthen your arrival time based on the estimated delay, and it does a very nice job of re-routing you around the slow traffic area.  I used the feature on my way home from Ohio- cars stopped on the freeway and an exit .1 mile away.  Garmin told me the traffic problem was .2 miles ahead so we hit the off ramp and it routed us back onto the freeway downstream of the construction or accident or whatever it was...

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2011, 11:17:12 AM »
Another option you can think about is using your cell phone with a good nav app.  I have been using the Navigon app on my phone for the past three or four months and I loved it compared to a dedicated gps since I only have to sync one device with my Sena bluetooth and I have music, phone, and gps all in one.  It doesn't rely on data or cell signal for the maps since it stores all 50 states plus Canda and Puerto Rico directly to the phone.  Best $40 I have ever spent.

Navigon app for my iPhone is $50. This weekend my wife found a Garmin Nuvi 1000LM online at Walmart for about $55 (some emailed special deal) and Walmart's regular price is $75. Yes, I know it's a discontinued model, but it's got "lifetime" map updates. They have the larger screen 1300LM for $117.

Also, check out Garmin's outlet store: http://g.factoryoutletstore.com/ for lower pricing.

Walmart also has a Tom Tom Ease and a Motorola TN30 for $55 and $57, respectively. Haven't looked into those yet.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline Sea Level

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2011, 06:41:01 PM »
Yabut, 430/530/G1000 have this spiffy "nearest" button on them :)

Can you imagine the marketing possibilities if Garmin could do the same on M/C GPS's? Like for a Gold wing: "nearest DQ/Crispy-Cream", for a Duc "nearest tire/fuel/chiropractor", for a Hardley "nearest place to buy a pin/patch/beer", and for the Connie "nearest twisty road".

Just plug in your brand of motor-scooter, have all the info you need a finger press away. :) ;)

Rick

PS, Nice RV :)

:goodpost:

Funny stuff! I love to see other pilots on this board. And we're getting closer to glass cockpits on our bikes every year. I have an iFly 700 with the street nav option that I think would be very cool on the motorcycle, if I could find a way to mount it.

Until then, I use a Zumo 660 on the Connie, which I bought due to recommendations relative to their strength against vibration and weather. I like it, but it's a little flaky. Needs to go back to the factory, it tends to shut down for no apparent reason. Mounted directly underneath the Zumo is my iPhone, so I can navigate, communicate and watch videos while riding.   ;D

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2011, 06:43:55 PM »

:goodpost:

Funny stuff! I love to see other pilots on this board. And we're getting closer to glass cockpits on our bikes every year. I have an iFly 700 with the street nav option that I think would be very cool on the motorcycle, if I could find a way to mount it.

Until then, I use a Zumo 660 on the Connie, which I bought due to recommendations relative to their strength against vibration and weather. I like it, but it's a little flaky. Needs to go back to the factory, it tends to shut down for no apparent reason. Mounted directly underneath the Zumo is my iPhone, so I can navigate, communicate and watch videos while riding.   ;D
:loco:
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2011, 07:22:57 PM »
Mounted directly underneath the Zumo is my iPhone, so I can navigate, communicate and watch videos while riding.   ;D

:rotflmao:

Offline redbarber

• Arena
  • '09 ABS (wife on '08 Can-AM Spyder follows)
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2011, 10:33:01 PM »
Yabut, 430/530/G1000 have this spiffy "nearest" button on them :)

Can you imagine the marketing possibilities if Garmin could do the same on M/C GPS's? Like for a Gold wing: "nearest DQ/Crispy-Cream", for a Duc "nearest tire/fuel/chiropractor", for a Hardley "nearest place to buy a pin/patch/beer", and for the Connie "nearest twisty road".

Just plug in your brand of motor-scooter, have all the info you need a finger press away. :) ;)

Rick

PS, Nice RV :)
Not exactly the same, but I use custom POI's for similar results.  I have a POI file for Dairy Queen, IHOP, Cracker Barrel, Honda Dealers, WalMart stores, Home Depots, Firehouse Subs, Lighthouses, Waterfalls, Motorcycle friendly campgrounds, etc.    I haven't done one for Kawasaki dealers yet, but it's just a matter of time.   When my wife and I are out travelling, the most common need in unfamiliar territory is a place to eat, and she likes 24 hour breakfast, thus the IHOP and Cracker Barrel.  Whe's also a big Dairy Queen fan.  Walmart is for supplies and such.   Most models of Garmin will support custom POI's, and there are whle web groups dedicated to them.
If you take yourself too seriously, nobody else will.  Humor is all around you, make it your quest to find all of it!

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2011, 11:02:25 PM »

Funny stuff! I love to see other pilots on this board.  ...
Not a pilot, just yet, but hope to be :) Think four place 180kt plans built canard :)

Not exactly the same, but I use custom POI's for similar results.  ...

It is similar though, but very specific. "Nearest" is a dedicated button on almost all Garmin aviation GPS's. Hit it, and it'll point you to the nearest airport.

FWIW, Garmin aviation GPS's start at around $1k. The 450 runs in the $8k range, 550 in the $11k range, and the G1000 in the $50k range (includes a chrome cup holder though). Plus install ;)

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline Kiwi Graham

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2011, 08:43:34 PM »
Gone and ordered a Garmin nuvi 500 and a tech-mount.
looks like it will do the job in car on bike and on the boat  :)

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2011, 02:01:05 PM »
Ok, wife is buying me a Garmin Nuvi 1490LMT for Christmas. As you can tell by our going with a less expensive car unit, keeping the price down is part of the deal. (Saving $ for a radar detector,  ;).)

So, now I'm trying to come up with the most "economical" method to mount it. I love the Techmount's looks and mounting location, but the price is about double what I'd like to spend. I know I've read about several methods in the forums, but not having great success with the search option today.

The 1490 is a 5" screen, so it's pretty wide. Suggestions? Has anyone used the ram mount for clutch/break reservoir bracket with a medium length arm to move it closer to the centerline of the bike and keep it out of the wind?

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2011, 02:29:15 PM »
Ok, wife is buying me a Garmin Nuvi 1490LMT for Christmas. As you can tell by our going with a less expensive car unit, keeping the price down is part of the deal. (Saving $ for a radar detector,  ;).)

So, now I'm trying to come up with the most "economical" method to mount it. I love the Techmount's looks and mounting location, but the price is about double what I'd like to spend. I know I've read about several methods in the forums, but not having great success with the search option today.

The 1490 is a 5" screen, so it's pretty wide. Suggestions? Has anyone used the ram mount for clutch/break reservoir bracket with a medium length arm to move it closer to the centerline of the bike and keep it out of the wind?
I use the clutch bracket mount and a short arm with my Nuvi 500. I also have medium and long arms but I prefer the short arm. Wind is no issue, nor is having the unit  to the left of center for me. I position it just far enough inside to clear the rearview mirror view. FWIW I mount the same Nuvi on a steering stem mount while on my VFR and notice no difference in useability and actually prefer the clutch mount location.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2011, 02:58:04 PM »

Brian

I use the clutch bracket mount and a short arm with my Nuvi 500. I also have medium and long arms but I prefer the short arm.

<snip>

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2011, 05:17:51 PM »

Brian
Some people are easily amused. :-*

Offline GVmerle

« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2011, 07:41:22 PM »
I have used both.  For myself, I find the Zumo's worth the extra money. 

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2011, 08:04:16 PM »
I use the clutch bracket mount and a short arm with my Nuvi 500. I also have medium and long arms but I prefer the short arm. Wind is no issue, nor is having the unit  to the left of center for me. I position it just far enough inside to clear the rearview mirror view. FWIW I mount the same Nuvi on a steering stem mount while on my VFR and notice no difference in useability and actually prefer the clutch mount location.

Thanks.
I think I'll go with the clutch mount, but will probably stay with the medium length arm (at least to start). The 1490 is about 1.2" wider than the 500 and want to make sure that it clears everything.