Author Topic: Cleaning question  (Read 5068 times)

Offline F-106

Cleaning question
« on: November 12, 2011, 07:36:06 PM »
What are you guys using to clean and keep the black inner fairing staying black. My 06 is still looking good and want to keep it that way.
IN THRUST WE TRUST

Offline Leo

Re: Cleaning question
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 08:02:31 PM »
The 4 years I was in the wonderful  Texas sunshine really started turning the old bike gray.  I got a product from the auto parts store called  "Back to Black"  I think it was from Mequires or turtle wax.   It took several liberal applications before it returned the inners and back fender to black.  I touch it up about twice a year.  Everything is ok so far.  Good Luck
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 06:41:48 AM »
Waterbed Vinyl Conditioner and Cleaner.
Not a petroleum based conditioner like Armor All, it won't cake or leave a residue, or dry out. Think about it, you don't want a waterbed mattress drying out do ya ? I've used it for yrs. and my local Wally World sells it.
My $.02 cents.
Ride safe all, and please, ATGATT.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline westkyguy

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 07:52:07 AM »
Pledge or S100 or DOT 5.1 according to some folks

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 01:04:17 PM »
Pledge or S100 or DOT 5.1 according to some folks

I don't know about DOT 5.1 Brake Fluid but I know that DOT 5.0 is made with Silicone Oil and that it will not harm plastics and very few rubber based products and that it does indeed rejuvenate faded plastic. After bleeding my brakes I always wipe down the black painted and plastic with my used rag; still looking like new but my bike is treated like a Garage Queen while I'm gone 240 out of 360 days per year.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 01:48:25 PM »
pledge works wonders. Steve

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 03:10:42 PM »
Tony P. Crochet

Offline gtr1000inFL

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 06:37:40 PM »
I had a faded 1993 C10, nothing fixed it, too far gone, tried the above remedies to no avail.  Sold it, new owner painted them including the saddle bags and it looks nice again.  I got a clean 2005 bike, and keep it in the garage.  Restoring fade is not realistic, but as you said, you want to maintain what you have.  Pledge was recommended locally from a C14 owner, but I just feel better leaving furniture polish in the house, and get a product intended for the bike, anti static feature cuts down on attracting dust and dirt, has UV protection written all over the can, and it does amazing on my brake dust and chrome mufflers too.  It's called ORIGINAL SPIRITS in a pink and black can, bike spirits on the second line.  $6 a can.  I use it on the car too, bug removal is easier to remove when used regularly.   

Offline F-106

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 07:02:27 PM »
Thanks guys for all your input. I have been using Protectall since I got the connie. Used it on my Goldwing and it did the job. However I thought I would ask to see what other were using. Those inner fairing panels are not cheap to replace and like the bags they do fade over time. Again, thanks for all your replies!
IN THRUST WE TRUST

Offline ATC Buckeye

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 08:11:08 PM »
I clean both my bikes with pledge from top to bottom. 

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 01:42:12 PM »
I'm experimenting, not on the bike yet, with a floor polish. Yup, a commercial vinyl floor polish. My wife found it on an RV forum as an alternative to waxing the entire rig. It takes several coats on a smooth surface (ie fiberglass RV) to get it to not look streaked, but I have used it on plastic air intakes and such under the hood of the car and it glosses things right up! It has the look and consistancy of Armour All, but leaves a hard glaze behind. It can be washed and reapplied as needed. On textured surfaces, a coat or two does the trick. Not sure I would use this on non faded, good looking plastics just yet, but it may turn out to be the way to keep the plastics that way. I'm considering trying it on my rear fender, there were some stickers there that were removed with solvent, leaving dull grey areas behind. It's called Red Max Pro, available at Lowes (maybe it was Home Depot) in 1 gallon bottles. We did the RV about 6 times and still have nearly 1/2 of it left, and I did the fiberglass roof of the RV too! RV forum posters are claiming an annual touch up is all that's needed. Some of them with class C rigs (van front end), did the cab area as well. All other waxes/finishes need to be removed first, but washing with Dawn dishwashing detergent handles that.
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline bigpigtx

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 05:32:03 AM »
+1 on Pledge!

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 07:20:03 PM »
I like the folks who spiffy up their engine compartment with Armour All and then wonder why the check engine light comes on.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2011, 07:27:35 PM »
Not the case, if you're refering to me. I do wash my engine bay regularly on all of my vehicles, and have used various products including Armour All to brighten things up. Knowing my way around the engine compartment, however, I have never caused a check engine light by doing so.
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline txfatboy

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2011, 11:16:46 PM »
As far as "cleaning" goes, I use a spray can "mag wheel cleaner" that is safe for ALL finishes including painted wheels. I use this to clean everything except the plastics. It removes the road grime very well and rinses away and to date has not harmed/discolored/faded any finish on the bike. The body work gets a normal car/bike wash (not dishwashing soap) and a spray detailer. I also use WD40 if I want it to look real pretty....
Woody
2014 V-Max
1991 Connie, 17 inch wheels,  ZRX1200 forks with racetech valves and brakes, zx9/ zzr1200 hybrid rear shock, 2 min mod and exhaust cam sprocket from SISF, tubular handle bars, hywy pegs, HID headlight and LED running lights.

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2011, 12:38:53 AM »
I like the folks who spiffy up their engine compartment with Armour All and then wonder why the check engine light comes on.

Do tell.
In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2011, 04:49:48 AM »
Do tell.
Yes please.... The bike is designed to be rode in the rain so how does cleaning the engine with a spritz or two of cleaner such as AA, Pledge, or WD become the cause of an electrical anomaly? My hi beam indacator is out should I stop cleaning the headlight? :)
Tony P. Crochet

Offline westkyguy

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2011, 06:50:03 AM »
I don't know about DOT 5.1 Brake Fluid but I know that DOT 5.0 is made with Silicone Oil and that it will not harm plastics and very few rubber based products and that it does indeed rejuvenate faded plastic. After bleeding my brakes I always wipe down the black painted and plastic with my used rag; still looking like new but my bike is treated like a Garage Queen while I'm gone 240 out of 360 days per year.

Sorry, you are right, it is 5.0 instead of 5.1. I don't use brake fluid, nothing but Pledge and S100 since Honda Polish was taken off the market and reformulated. I had read some people use it, hence the caveat "according to some". S100 is really good but so expensive I rarely buy it anymore, Pledge is 4 bucks a can at the local Dollar General.

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2011, 07:18:05 AM »
. The body work gets anormal car/bike wash   (not dishwashing soap) and a spray detailer. 

WHAT??   Are you suppose to wash'em? :o
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2011, 01:30:19 PM »
I wash the bike with an eagle one car wash stuff, because someone gave me a gallon for Christmas some years ago, plus I like the smell.  I wax the tank with zymol and everything else gets pledged regularly.  Okay, semi-regularly.  Okay, the windshield and mirrors get pledged sporadically.
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F