Author Topic: C14 holds up well  (Read 8121 times)

Offline MikeERideWNC

C14 holds up well
« on: November 12, 2011, 04:56:47 AM »
Moved
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 11:22:36 AM by MikeERideWNC »

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
Re: C14 holds up well
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 05:18:18 AM »
Sorry to hear about the down but glad you all made it out relatively unscathed.
T.S.R.

Offline mike

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 05:27:14 AM »
That's why I don't rail blind corners. Glad everyone is ok.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 05:46:49 AM »
Glad everyone is ok!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Ga. Cycle Rider

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 05:47:07 AM »
Sounds like you were smart enough to have on the proper gear. You also don't sound like the kind that won't get back on the horse just because you got kicked in the butt.

It looks like the damage as you said is light in comparison to how you went down.

The great thing is you and your wife are here today to live ,love and ride another day.
Riding big bore in line fours and v-4 hondas and such since 1976. Lost count of the miles, but it is more than 500 thousand. Currently in the garage...1999 vfr800, keeper forever. 2006 klr 650, forest road thrasher, 2011 C-14 ICBM.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 06:31:02 AM »
Wow! Sorry to hear about the crash Mike but I'm happy to hear how well you and your wife did. Thanks for the report on the gear's performance. Could you ride the bike after?

How bad is your wife's hand?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 07:01:24 AM »
Very lucky. Glad there were no cages involved in this it would have changed a lot. Glad you guys are O.K.
Joel from Maine.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 07:05:24 AM »
How badly are you bruised from the beating your wife musta given you? Seriously, glad yall are ok and hope the domestic damage is not too bad.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 07:22:43 AM »
"How badly are you bruised from the beating your wife musta given you?"

Unfortunately I speak from experience having performed a similar faux-pas, but when the wife picks herself up, dusts off the gravel, helps you gather up the pieces, helps you right the bike then gets back on and rides home you know she's a keeper. I couldn't agree more, proper gear makes all the difference.
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 07:31:46 AM »
Glad you two are ok.  Very similar to what happened to my wife and I (minus the gravel). 

Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 08:54:03 AM »
It looks like your case has a hole pretty much where mine did.  You might get away with just putting on a new pulser cover, which is a $50 part.   Good luck with the rebuild or finding a new bike. My insurance should have totalled mine since they have written me two seperate checks totalling $8,000 for my C14.   
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline DaveO

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 09:10:42 AM »
glad you 2 are OK and had the sense to wear gear. You're very lucky not to have impacted a hard object like gaurdrail,tree or car.
What are your thoughts on textile now?
Will you upgrade to leather?
I have both and sure trust the leather more.

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2011, 09:17:48 AM »
EEEOUCH!

Glad to hear you and your wife came out relatively unscathed, and hopefully her hand heals up quickly.  The bike can be fixed, but without proper gear, we know it would have been worse. 

Looking at the pic, I see no marks on the fork tube.  I've wondered if the bottom of it would touch in a slide, since they sell sliders for it.  I was told they were not needed there.

I suppose frame sliders would have kept the engine case off the road enough so it didn't grind a hole through it.   But then I haven't seen any pics yet of a C14 with sliders that went down.

Thanks for sharing, visual aids and a story with a relatively good ending are always helpful to show people why good riding gear is important.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2011, 09:48:41 AM »
That sucks, heal quick my friend!  :grouphug:

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2011, 10:11:32 AM »
I'm glad you and your wife are okay and hope you both heal quickly and completely.  I'm also glad that you didn't take out anyone coming the opposite direction.  And that you and your wife are content with the risk management paradigm you have adopted. 

I hope this forum does not become like some of the other bike forums, where avoidable crash threads are commonplace.  Maybe these two will suffice.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline Shadowofshoe

• Arena
  • Mastiff pup/human pup
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2011, 02:41:33 PM »

Mike it sucks to have happen, but apparently decent outcomes for you both, someones looking out for you two!!
     I wonder how your LT would held up...I always imagined a lot of parts in the road if it happened to someone like the "deputy" who started a whole parts website after his get off.

Sincerely happy for you guys all considered.

Mike
Sooooo....we are about to be a Nation that makes you prove you have insurance-but it's not necessary to prove that you are indeed a Citizen of that Nation?

Offline shreveportSS

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2011, 05:19:31 PM »
I would not have been traveling so fast on the LT.
The lean angle is not there.
The C-14 has a way of making the right wrist twist back.

I just put new 190/55 PR2 on Thursday and the bike was handling perfect!

Just a freak mishap. The roads were all very clean up to that point.
Have you looked into who is responsible for the gravel on the road?
2011 Concours 14
2011 ZX1000GBF Ninja. Died Dec. 1st, 2012
2012 ZX1000HBF Ninja.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2011, 05:26:42 PM »
Have you looked into who is responsible for the gravel on the road?

I hope you are not implying the fault for the accident should be shifted to some third party...  S*** happens.  Any number of naturally or human-caused things could be present on a road causing loss of traction.  If one is going to ride at great speed, especially on a motorcycle, especially into a blind curve, there is great risk.

I have been reading this thread in both shock and admiration, not knowing what to think.  I am one of those pessimist riders who has a hard time putting disaster out of his mind.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline TLOC

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2011, 06:04:13 PM »
Mike, sorry to hear of the spill but apparently a very fortunate outcome that could have been much much worse. I ride the NC mountains often, what rode were you riding...T

Offline Rawman

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2011, 08:18:37 PM »
Will insurance pay for new gear as well?  I have always wondered that.
2009 Non-ABS
VStream, PR2s, AreaP Full Exhaust, Carbon Can, PC-V, BMC Air Filter, 151 Dyno'd RWhp.
'04 Honda VTX-1300C, '01 Kawasaki ZRX-1200R, '87 Yamaha VMax, '79 Kawasaki K-1000 LTD, '77 Kawasaki KZ-1000,'80 Suzuki GS-550L