Author Topic: Thinking of buying a new C14, have some questions  (Read 10589 times)

Offline Auron

Thinking of buying a new C14, have some questions
« on: October 23, 2011, 12:18:47 PM »
Hey all, I have a CBR1100XX that has been an incredible bike for me but I am getting older now and need something more comfortable.  I am hesitant about the extra weight and loss of sportbike capabilities if anyone can comment on that :)

I am basically wondering about any major issues with the '10 and up models. Is it true there is no way to be locked out of your bike with the newer key card system?

I have never been one to read too much into the media but there has been talk of strange handling characteristics of the old bike but they fixed it with different tires? Is it still an issue? And speaking of tires how long can you keep a tire in good shape with that kind of power?

Also, how does the bike handle and feel in general compared to a heavy sportbike, especially on tighter roads?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Thinking of buying a new C14, have some questions
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 12:32:20 PM »
Hey all, I have a CBR1100XX that has been an incredible bike for me but I am getting older now and need something more comfortable.  I am hesitant about the extra weight and loss of sportbike capabilities if anyone can comment on that :)

I am no sport rider, but the C14 has ample power and handling to satisfy most anyone....  will it zip around a corner leaned over at 10 degrees above the pavement like a 600R, no.  But a good/skilled rider (which I am not) on a C-14 can clobber a mediocre or unskilled race bike rider.

I am basically wondering about any major issues with the '10 and up models. Is it true there is no way to be locked out of your bike with the newer key card system?

?  There is always a way to be locked out of any bike due to some type of system failure.  That said, the limited ignition spring issues on the 2008/2009 models was supposedly fixed in 2010 and I have seen nobody complain about it on 2010+.

I have never been one to read too much into the media but there has been talk of strange handling characteristics of the old bike but they fixed it with different tires? Is it still an issue?

Maybe you should share this info, since I haven't seen anything like that.  As far as power or handling, there are almost no differences in the model years of the C-14 (that I am aware of, anyway).  The big changes from 2008/2009 to the 2010/2011/2012 were mostly cosmetic (fairings) or comfort/convenience (heated grips, higher mirror, eco mode, etc).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Spanky

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 12:39:40 PM »
I have never been one to read too much into the media but there has been talk of strange handling characteristics of the old bike but they fixed it with different tires? Is it still an issue? And speaking of tires how long can you keep a tire in good shape with that kind of power?

Also, how does the bike handle and feel in general compared to a heavy sportbike, especially on tighter roads?

The stock tires on the connie are the worst I have ever experienced. The stock tire grip is fine, but new tires will have a dramatic effect on handling, namely staying neutral in a corner. The stockers require constant adjustment to maintain a given lean angle. This is entirely the tires and will go away when you install new tires- assuming you don't put the same tires as the stockers back on. This was true on my 09 and my buddy just put pr3's on last week to replace the stockers on his 11. He said it felt like a different bike. I just smiled.

The bike is a big bike and you cannot get away from that fact. It does not handle like a sport bike, but it does handle very well for a bike this size. It is the best all around bike I have owned. It does everything very well.

Good luck on your decision!

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 01:01:07 PM »

It is heavy yes, but you aren't losing much at all in sportbike capabilities, at least not on public roadways.  My previous sport tourer was a 1200RT.  While a fine handling bike, I missed being on the GSXR when I rode it.  When I ride the C14, I do not miss the GSXR.

There are various threads on that here, it's a fairly reliable system, even more so than the BMW EWS system that still required a key.  You can POTENTIALLY lock your fob in the storage compartment due to the electronic lock, but only if you had a failure of the bike or fob batteries.

I have a 2010, I don't believe the "old bikes" handle any differently.  Tires make a big difference in handling with any bike.  That and inflation pressures.  My OEM Bridgestone tires lasted about 11,000 miles.  I expect at least 15,000 out of the PR2's I'm running.  It's not the power that eats the tires, it's the weight.

It handles and feels much like a liter class sportbike, obviously with more weight and somewhat less cornering clearance.  But it does NOT feel heavy on tight roads at all. Power wise, it's similar to that of a liter class sportbike.  My 1200RT was lighter and more nimble in the parking lot, but outside of the parking lot, I can ride circles around it with the C14.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 01:44:51 PM »
She is a bit heavy at lower speeds, but at speed feels very nice!  :)

Happy hunting.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 01:51:43 PM »

Happy hunting.

Quit riding it so slow then....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 01:56:42 PM »

;D ;D ;D

You know it Jim!  :chugbeer:

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 02:51:00 PM »

Happy hunting.

+1. Not so easy (for me) to maneuver in parking lots and garages (tho I'm getting better), but once she's moving, the weight becomes a non-issue. Coming from my little Ducati, the weight was/is one of the major adjustments for me.

My .02 is that none of the things you've listed are prohibitive items. Weren't for me, anyway.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 02:52:26 PM »
Handling is all relative.   But I like to push hard through the turns and I'm very happy with the handling.  Change the tires to a '55 series in back, and I like the Michelin PR2's, and the handling becomes even better. 
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline Eric119

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 10:07:39 PM »
Hey

Handling wise ; its smooth. Deffinately not a sport bike. Its become the replacement bike for police patrol, overtaking sales of BMWs. Portland Police Bureau found the bike excellent handling in tight corners and low speed handling. Its also been excellent on freeway interception, very quick.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 04:51:51 AM »
Handling wise ; its smooth. Deffinately not a sport bike. Its become the replacement bike for police patrol, overtaking sales of BMWs. Portland Police Bureau found the bike excellent handling in tight corners and low speed handling. Its also been excellent on freeway interception, very quick.

Sigh....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 05:01:27 AM »
There ought to be a law....

Offline Conrad

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 05:19:54 AM »

Happy hunting.

;D ;D ;D

You know it Jim!  :chugbeer:

ZG can't help it, he has that color you know?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 06:31:34 AM »
I had a Blackbird too and I think the C14 actually handles as good. I think it is easier to go fast.

It is a handfull at parking lot speeds and Bridgestone front tires make that worse.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2011, 06:44:10 AM »

And mine can hang on the rear wheels of sportbikes dragging their knee pucks as well as can be expected for a sport-tourer-

Right at 44,000 miles on my 2010. Although I'm a Honda fan too, this is the first bike i've owned thats went anywhere close to this far with no issues whatsoever. Just routine maintenance and go.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Graffixnfun

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2011, 09:38:53 AM »
Here is my 2 cents.  I am 6'7" and 290 lbs.  I have a 2009 model I bought in Jan '11.  It had 1036 miles on it and now I have just shy of 13,000 miles.  The stock tires were not great but I replaced them in 2800 miles.  My favorite tire on the bike so far is the PR2.  I have gone through the PR2's, Pirelle Angel ST's and now I am on PR3's.  I average about 4000-4500 per rear tire and the front isnt to far behind.  I ride the bike very aggressively and scrape the peg feelers quite often.  If you baby the bike the tires would definitely last longer.  I ride with a buddy that has a 2007 GSXR-750.  He still has more lean angle than me but he says he is never board chasing me.   I can gap him coming out of the corner because of the torque I believe.  I also completed my first SS1000 on this bike with the stock seat (I did add lower footpegs for this ride because I am so tall).  The bike did awesome.  My only expense on this bike so far is tires and oil changes.  It is not a crouch rocket but I believe it will get your blood boiling and you wont get bored.  Plus you get to take everything with you in the bags!  My '09 is warm in traffic but fine when riding.  I would recommend 2010 or later if you can get it but I wouldnt let that deter you from a good deal on an '09
2009 concours
2006 ninja 650R
2003 victory vegas

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2011, 09:47:44 AM »

ZG can't help it, he has that color you know?

:thumbs:   8)

Offline Fretka

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2011, 11:10:31 AM »
Ya gotts ta remember that the connie has BIG wide handlebars that will make you think you are riding a much smaller bike.
Can't overestimate how much a bike is affected by that feature alone.

Fretka
Wretched excess visited upon an innocent C-14

Offline Shoe

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2011, 04:31:02 PM »
I wish the seat height were an inch or so less than whatever it is. Other than that the C14 is good for commuting and touring.
Eat corn. Drill for oil.

2008 Concours, 2010 Goldwing

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2011, 04:36:02 PM »
I wish the seat height were an inch or so less than whatever it is.

Well, that can be fixed with a replacement seat pretty easily.  My problem was that I needed it to be 3" lower... and that ain't happening!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc