Author Topic: Here is the damage, what do you think?  (Read 9452 times)

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
Here is the damage, what do you think?
« on: October 22, 2011, 10:10:52 AM »
I got the pics from the adjuster this morning and the motor isn't damaged, it was just the pulser cover that had a hole rubbed into it.  I am not sure if the bike will be totaled or not.  What do you guys think by looking at these pics?  The exhaust, mirror and right pannier are also toast so if you had damage similar to this what was the total for the damage?  My right leg took alot of the impact and helped save the bike.   ;D  I am guessing that I have $4,000-$5,000 in damage, thoughts?

« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 11:23:24 AM by Jeremy Mitchell »
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline ZG

• Arena
Re: Here is the damage, what do you think?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 10:16:38 AM »
Looks to be repairable though, a good opportunity to lose that stock exhaust and go with a full system and have the bike painted the Kawi green Jeremy!  8)

Did you have the side bags or trunk on at the time?

Thanks for sharing the pics and keep us posted...

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 10:22:45 AM »
Looks to be repairable though, a good opportunity to lose that stock exhaust and go with a full system and have the bike painted the Kawi green Jeremy!  8)

Did you have the side bags or trunk on at the time?

Thanks for sharing the pics and keep us posted...

Yes the all the bags were on.  The right side pannier is the only one that was damaged, my new Givi didn't get a scratch on it.  Kawi green is pretty high on my list of possible choices.  I will probably go with a full AreaP exhaust.  I am pretty sure I can get the whole bike painted for around $1500, so I should end up in good shape.  If it does end up being totaled then I will probably try to do a buy-back so my dad can have a good project bike.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 10:47:03 AM »
It doesn't take much damage to total a bike, but you may get lucky. I'm glad it was just the cover that wore through. It was tough to tell under the bodywork.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 12:38:53 PM »
I got the pics from the adjuster this morning and the motor isn't damaged, it was just the pulser cover that had a hole rubbed into it.  I am not sure if the bike will be totaled or not.  What do you guys think by looking at these pics?  The exhaust, mirror and right pannier are also toast so if you had damage similar to this what was the total for the damage?  My right leg took alot of the impact and helped save the bike.    ;D  I am guessing that I have $4,000-$5,000 in damage, thoughts?

Way to take one for the team. ;)

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 04:55:18 PM »
I'm guessing $7500. I had $8200 in damage on my 2008 and there was no engine involved in it. It was the opposite side that layed down. Fender, fairing, shifter, mirror, side bag, headlight, windshield, and top case. The last 3 were just scratched. A few more parts near the rear wheel were also scraped.
Good luck with the insurance.
Joel from Maine.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 01:47:17 PM »
So Jeremy, when did the shop say they'd have the repair $ estimate for ya?

Offline booger

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 02:51:43 PM »
I'm guessing $7500. I had $8200 in damage on my 2008 and there was no engine involved in it. It was the opposite side that layed down. Fender, fairing, shifter, mirror, side bag, headlight, windshield, and top case. The last 3 were just scratched. A few more parts near the rear wheel were also scraped.
Good luck with the insurance.

I'm with you.  I was thinking 4500-5000 minimum.  It does add up fast on a bike.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 04:16:47 PM »
So Jeremy, when did the shop say they'd have the repair $ estimate for ya?

The adjuster said something about having the bike towed from Arkansas to a Kawi dealer in Springfield, Missouri.  I don't know if they are waiting to see what the dealer says but hopefully I will know a dollar amount this week.  I really want to get this over with so I can go ahead a pick up a new bike or at least start the process of getting mine back on the road.

Offline golfhuntfish

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 07:30:22 PM »
in July mine wife took my 2008 out in the driveway....both panniers, both mirrors, all cowlings blah blah.....$5300....anything that had a scratch was put into the estimate by the dealer....including the muffler.....Geico paid the total minus the deductible....hopefully you are ok and the bike will repaired  Gene

Offline Gsun

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 08:08:53 PM »
This is what mine looked like when I bought it. I put it together for about $3000.00. There are a few dings from used parts, but it can be done.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 01:59:35 AM »
This is what mine looked like when I bought it. I put it together for about $3000.00. There are a few dings from used parts, but it can be done.

watching that picture, a T-800 doesn't seem so complicated after all, does it?  :o
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline shotgun

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 12:02:45 PM »
JD,I'd be worried about the bearings in the motor.
I know the bike has a fuel pump kill switch for such times...
I don't remember if you shut it down or was it already dead laying there?
It was a little hectic there for a bit.
Sure was a lot of oil running across the road.
Something to check into while the adjuster is still in the loop.
Hope yall are healing fine,Later.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 06:15:46 PM »
The bike was off when it went down.  I will make sure that I get something from the insurance company stipulating that if there are any motor problems that they will take care of it.

It sounds like my bike is going to be repairable, no talk about a dollar amount yet but I should hear something tomorrow.  I am probably going to have it painted Kawi green, but that is still being debated.  I do know that I am getting an AreaP full exhaust and Ohlins suspension front and rear.  I figure if I am gonna ride hard I need a suspension made for me not for a 150 lb Japanese test rider. 

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 07:44:01 AM »
The estimate is $4800.  This is minus the cost of replacing the right pannier since I had to send in pictures of the damage.  So total it will be a little over $5000, then they will make a supplemental claim for our gear and my wife's "pain and inconvenience".  Not sure what that will amount to but I know I can get my bike back on the road for under that amount including an AreaP full exhaust and Ohlins suspension. 

Son of Pappy

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2011, 08:18:23 AM »
So, to put a bright spot on this "off", you received a hard earned lesson, gonna get an upgraded bike, and some new gear ;D

Awesome, although I wouldnt recomend this approach to just anyone, it takes a Soldier to pull it off ;)

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2011, 08:21:12 AM »
I just wish my wife hadn't been with me, that is my biggest regret.  Now it will be hard to get her back on the bike with me. 

Offline reesedp

• Sail Army
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2011, 08:24:27 AM »
You MUST have been in ACU's when you went down right Jeremy?  No way that mere civvies could absorb enough impact to mitigate damage that well!  Glad you're ok. 

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2011, 08:37:56 AM »
You MUST have been in ACU's when you went down right Jeremy?  No way that mere civvies could absorb enough impact to mitigate damage that well!  Glad you're ok.

Lucky jeans (I left my Joe Rocket pants in the saddlebags)  Joe Rocket alter ego 2.0 jacket, and Icon Patrol boots.  I will never wear jeans when I am out riding hard again.  The Jacket held up well and the boots were phenomenonal.  My right foot should have gotten broken the way I went down but the boot saved it.  Now I just need to get my bum ankle fixed and I might be able to think about running again.

Offline roadie

• RIP:2009 ABS....Welcome 2015 Black
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2011, 12:39:31 PM »
Glad you guys made it through...How did your jeans hold up?  Ripped to shyte?  I see you listed a bunch of WTB posts, looking for parts to repair her?

Lucky jeans (I left my Joe Rocket pants in the saddlebags)  Joe Rocket alter ego 2.0 jacket, and Icon Patrol boots.  I will never wear jeans when I am out riding hard again.  The Jacket held up well and the boots were phenomenonal.  My right foot should have gotten broken the way I went down but the boot saved it.  Now I just need to get my bum ankle fixed and I might be able to think about running again.
Will