Author Topic: How do you keep your neck dry?  (Read 3744 times)

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
How do you keep your neck dry?
« on: October 20, 2011, 07:27:33 PM »
I'm looking for something like a balaclava, but not insulated to go under my helmet and outside the collar of my jacket to keep my neck dry when riding in the rain. Anyone have any products that you use or reccommend? I love my turtle fur for the cold, but today it was warm and raining.  Also, the turtle fur is not intended to keep me dry.
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
Re: How do you keep your neck dry?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 07:44:59 PM »
CycleGear sells a number of neck guards, some pretty inexpensively.
http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/categories/street-gear/cold--rain-gear/base-layers--accessories

They were out of stock when I was at the store the other day, so I cannot comment on value or quality.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 08:15:13 PM »
I can find lots of "warm" neck stuff, but nothing geared toward simply keeping your neck dry. Even the warm stuff doesn't indicate thet it is water repellant.

Edit:
Ignore that, I am finding a few that are water repellant at the least...
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 08:50:16 PM »
I am not sure what would work alone just for the neck Blaise but a rain jacket and a F.F. helmet works for me. I cannot remember the brand but my rain gear has a high, wrap- around collar that seals very well. The downside is that it is pretty warm to wear in the summer.

Brian

I'm looking for something like a balaclava, but not insulated to go under my helmet and outside the collar of my jacket to keep my neck dry when riding in the rain. Anyone have any products that you use or reccommend? I love my turtle fur for the cold, but today it was warm and raining.  Also, the turtle fur is not intended to keep me dry.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 08:55:42 PM »
You're welcome.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 08:56:09 PM »
CycleGear sells a number of neck guards, some pretty inexpensively.
http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/categories/street-gear/cold--rain-gear/base-layers--accessories

They were out of stock when I was at the store the other day, so I cannot comment on value or quality.

+1

I have the balaclava version and it is made out of the same stuff as the Freeze out line of product and I have had ZERO water penetration.  Cheap and simple and works.  ;)
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 10:00:44 PM »
. . . a rain jacket and a F.F. helmet works for me.

+1.
In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man.

Offline roadie

• RIP:2009 ABS....Welcome 2015 Black
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 05:39:25 AM »
+1 full face helmet keeps my neck dry as long as I have my Rocket Sonic jacket zipped all the way up...the collar of the jacket sits under the helmet.

+1.
Will

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 06:19:28 AM »
+1 full face helmet keeps my neck dry as long as I have my Rocket Sonic jacket zipped all the way up...the collar of the jacket sits under the helmet.

Low jacket collar seems to be my biggest problem. I wear a full face helmet and a  Tourmaster Saber jacket and , which I like and it does a fair job of keeping me dry, but the collar is too low cut to keep my neck dry. I'm not ready for a new jacket, so I'm looking for an interim (reasonably long term) solution. So far I like the look and features of this one, http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product/wind_tube/web1001037 but there are no reviews to back it up.
COG 9331

Offline roadie

• RIP:2009 ABS....Welcome 2015 Black
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 06:26:14 AM »
BBROJ...I wear a neck gaiter tube also but mainly for warmth.  I'd imagine it would help keep the bite of cold water off your neck also.  Its down in my locker right now, so brand escapes me.  But its a stretch cotton/poly/nylon material...kind of like a muffler that you slip over your head.  It has spandex in it so it grabs my neck. I have it tucked inside my jacket collar. When its cold I can cover from my neck baseline to over my ears and chin as well.  And when I take my helmet off, I wear it on top of my head.  Came in handy in Afghanistan to beat the dust as well.  Bought it at Ranger Joes (www.rangerjoes.com).
Will

Offline kathybrj

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 07:38:15 AM »
Low jacket collar seems to be my biggest problem. I wear a full face helmet and a  Tourmaster Saber jacket and , which I like and it does a fair job of keeping me dry, but the collar is too low cut to keep my neck dry. I'm not ready for a new jacket, so I'm looking for an interim (reasonably long term) solution. So far I like the look and features of this one, http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product/wind_tube/web1001037 but there are no reviews to back it up.

Um....for $21 I think we can take the HUGE risk and give it a try..... ::)

AND you can be the very first to write a review on that site!!!! 8)

But...if you're still on the fence...

http://bolty.net/2009/03/02/initial-report-bikers-comfort-in-action-wind-tube/
bbroj's better half

'14 Honda CTX 700

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 08:55:17 AM »
Kathy, a much easier and cheaper approach would be for you to just ride behind him and hold a zip-loc baggy. See problem solved and no money spent.  You can thank me later  :chugbeer:
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 09:08:47 AM »
Half the price of your fancy tube
In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man.

Offline kathybrj

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 11:18:23 AM »
Kathy, a much easier and cheaper approach would be for you to just ride behind him and hold a zip-loc baggy. See problem solved and no money spent.  You can thank me later  :chugbeer:

Chris, your creativity knows no bounds...... 8) but I do enjoy riding my own ride....

threads like these are how I do my Christmas shopping for Blaise...
bbroj's better half

'14 Honda CTX 700

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2011, 06:48:16 PM »
Chris, your creativity knows no bounds...... 8) but I do enjoy riding my own ride....

threads like these are how I do my Christmas shopping for Blaise...

And now, all of next years posts by Blaise are going to be about C-14s.    :rotflmao:
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2011, 06:51:37 PM »
 :hail: ;D ;D
COG 9331

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2011, 10:37:49 PM »
I like to wear a 9 foot scarf while my drives in a car nearby with loudspeakers on top blaring "Ride of the Valkyries" at full volume!

Wagner - Ride of the Valkyries
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F