Author Topic: Dyna-beads, anybody tried it ??  (Read 20423 times)

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Re: Dyna-beads, anybody tried it ??
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2011, 11:15:24 AM »
Lather - Cosmetics is one of the major selling points.  Beads are often sold at custom bike shops where customers have dropped big coin on billet rims and they don't like the look of the lead weights.  The other points are ease of balancing, and increased tire life because of the dynamic balancing.
I get it now and I think yur attitude is charming 8)

By the way I did research the carp out of Dyna Beads a long time ago when they first came out and wrote them off as being of doubious value to my self balancing and lead loving self. And I generally don't believe anything on the website when it is selling a product.

I can see the "ease of balancing" (assuming they work) but argue that advantage is negated when they have to be retrieved from an old tire. Increased tire life is feasible but imo impossible to document and since I get up to 17,000 miles with lead that's  not an issue for me.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline Gearhead82

« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2011, 11:32:46 AM »
I get it now and I think yur attitude is charming 8)

By the way I did research the carp out of Dyna Beads a long time ago when they first came out and wrote them off as being of doubious value to my self balancing and lead loving self. And I generally don't believe anything on the website when it is selling a product.
 t
I can see the "ease of balancing" (assuming they work) but argue that advantage is negated when they have to be retrieved from an old tire. Increased tire life is feasible but imo impossible to document and since I get up to 17,000 miles with lead that's  not an issue for me.

I think most people just leave them in the old tire and buy new beads for the new tire.
'09 C14, Area P Full System, BMC, Flies out, PCV

Offline Vic Salisbury

« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2011, 12:27:48 PM »
Well, I don't buy the axles being fixed in place negates the effect. I hope my axles are held in place firmly while traveling down the road. Are you implying "road" vibrations are required to energize or something the beads?  I did ride the bike with the beads only in the front tire, no dice, very out of balance. And the rear tire was not fixed in place, that thing was bouncing around so much it was scary, no way would I have tried to run it down the road.

As with all topics, some for, some against.
Vic Salisbury
COG #3673
'97 Concours "Grinch"
Sarasota, FL

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2011, 12:42:47 PM »
I think most people just leave them in the old tire and buy new beads for the new tire.
At 7 or 8 tires a year that would not work for me.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline Cruise Missile

« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2015, 11:38:51 AM »
Hello.
I had posted in "what did you do to your Concours today) that I had installed new PR4 GTs on my Connie and used Dyna Beads to Balance them as I have had good success with them before.

After taking a 'lets say a high spirited ride I was disappointed with the result.
So I removed the tires to have them balanced at my local dealer. Removed the tires, broke them down yo remove the Dyna Beads and discovered why they didn't work this time. I used a dish soap and water mix in a spray bottle to lubricate the bead. This solution obviously got inside the tire . The result of having even the slightest amount of water caused the Dyna Beads to stick to the tire ' completely around the center of the tire. I had to rub them off so i could vacuum them out of the tire. They are suppose move and balance the tire as needed. My soap/water solution prevented them from doing there job.
Just thought let everyone know it was not the Dyna Beads that failed.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2015, 11:55:21 AM »
My soap/water solution prevented them from doing there job.  Just thought let everyone know it was not the Dyna Beads that failed.

Yeah, I imagine that any type of moisture in the tire would be a big no-no with those things.  How far off balance were the tires when balanced by the shop, after?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline clogan

« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2015, 12:15:31 PM »
Yeah, I imagine that any type of moisture in the tire would be a big no-no with those things.  How far off balance were the tires when balanced by the shop, after?

Globbed up Dyna Beads was very likely the cause of a high speed wobble that resulted in a 75 mph high-side on the interstate back in 2011 that very nearly killed me...very easily could have. Totalled out my nearly new Rocket III, put me off my feet for three months, and forced me into early retirement.

NO MORE DYNA BEADS FOR ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anybody that uses them is downright foolish to risk it, IMHO.
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline Cruise Missile

« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2015, 05:55:48 PM »
Just returned from the dealership with my Balanced PR4GTs.
Both front and rear took 1.75oz each.I haven't taken it for a ride but will post results.

Cheers

Offline reh8388

« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2015, 07:01:16 PM »
I put new PR4 GTs both front and rear on my bike last year. When dropping the wheels off to be mounted the shop asked if I minded them using the beads instead of weights. I went ahead and tried them. The funny thing is the bike had a vibration at ~120mph before and after the new tires and beads I have no vibrations all the way to the governor. The guy doing my tires said he typically uses slightly more beads than are called for and he also pointed out that some rims/tire combinations require even more just like some would require more traditional weights.
---------------------------------------------------------------
2011 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Conrad

« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2015, 05:08:51 AM »
I put new PR4 GTs both front and rear on my bike last year. When dropping the wheels off to be mounted the shop asked if I minded them using the beads instead of weights. I went ahead and tried them. The funny thing is the bike had a vibration at ~120mph before and after the new tires and beads I have no vibrations all the way to the governor. The guy doing my tires said he typically uses slightly more beads than are called for and he also pointed out that some rims/tire combinations require even more just like some would require more traditional weights.

Perhaps the tires with the vibration at ~120 weren't balanced properly in the first place?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline reh8388

« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2015, 05:10:01 AM »
Perhaps the tires with the vibration at ~120 weren't balanced properly in the first place?

Or had fallen out of balance with age and wear.
2011 Kawasaki Concours

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2015, 08:48:32 AM »
Dyna bead salesman are proof reincarnation is real. Before these guys were reincarnated, they were successfully peddling small bottles of liquid  ;D

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline reh8388

« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2015, 08:53:20 AM »
Dyna bead salesman are proof reincarnation is real. Before these guys were reincarnated, they were successfully peddling small bottles of liquid  ;D

So you're saying they don't work and my tires without any wheel weights happen to be so well balanced that I don't have any vibrations from 0-150 mph?

Interesting. I must be one lucky guy.
2011 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2015, 08:55:34 AM »
 :popcorn:
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2015, 10:16:56 AM »
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2015, 10:36:31 AM »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

elp_jc

« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2015, 12:45:42 PM »
One thing is clear: They will NEVER work like a properly balanced tire, especially at high speeds. But to each his own. Don't understand why people mess with that crap, when it's so easy to properly balance a motorcycle tire. Oh well.

Offline reh8388

« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2015, 01:57:29 PM »
One thing is clear: They will NEVER work like a properly balanced tire, especially at high speeds. But to each his own. Don't understand why people mess with that crap, when it's so easy to properly balance a motorcycle tire. Oh well.

Can you explain why they won't work as well at speed? You seem quite confident so I am sure you will be able to provide a link to a study that proves your point. I look forward to reading it.
2011 Kawasaki Concours

elp_jc

« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2015, 06:57:01 PM »
Can you explain why they won't work as well at speed? You seem quite confident so I am sure you will be able to provide a link to a study that proves your point.
Have read it many times. And since you haven't provided any 'study that proves your point' either, it's just our opinions :o. And even if you did, too many folks have complained of issues at high speeds (fi you like to venture there). If you think that snake oil works like a proper balancing, which 99.99%+ of vehicles get done for a reason, have at it ;). Takes minutes to balance a motorcycle wheel, even on your own. Not saying that you're lazy, but that seems to me to be the reason to use that stuff. And yes, I balance my own motorcycle wheels.

Now let me ask you this: If you know a properly done balancing job works 100% of the time, why the heck don't you get it done that way? Inquiring minds want to know :).

Offline reh8388

« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2015, 07:15:35 PM »
?
Have read it many times. And since you haven't provided any 'study that proves your point' either, it's just our opinions :o. And even if you did, too many folks have complained of issues at high speeds (fi you like to venture there). If you think that snake oil works like a proper balancing, which 99.99%+ of vehicles get done for a reason, have at it ;). Takes minutes to balance a motorcycle wheel, even on your own. Not saying that you're lazy, but that seems to me to be the reason to use that stuff. And yes, I balance my own motorcycle wheels.

Now let me ask you this: If you know a properly done balancing job works 100% of the time, why the heck don't you get it done that way? Inquiring minds want to know :).

I am speaking from first hand experience and you are responding with statements that are supported by something you read somewhere on the internet.

I don't think laziness has ever been a factor in dyna beads. The fact that they redistribute and re-balance the tire constantly means you won't have any issues of the tiring coming out of balance due to wear or by throwing a weight.
2011 Kawasaki Concours