Author Topic: Dyna-beads, anybody tried it ??  (Read 20180 times)

Offline att2008vn

• C14 2010 ABS
Dyna-beads, anybody tried it ??
« on: October 17, 2011, 08:58:46 AM »
Hi,

any feedback on this ??

I still feel something is not right in their video with the plastic bottle

at

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: Dyna-beads, anybody tried it ??
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 09:21:43 AM »
Oh THIS topic again!?  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 10:01:27 AM »
 :popcorn:
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 10:05:48 AM »
AT,

What these guys are trying to say is that this topic has been DONE TO DEATH and if you'd do a search on it, you might get some info.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline att2008vn

• C14 2010 ABS
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 10:11:10 AM »
thanks Conrad,

I got it after seeing the word "again" but then a search didn't give out much things here, i m searching on the other COG forum and found something, still reading there.  Anyway seems it doesn't fit me, the beads i mean, cuz of my habit of using the tire plugs.

Thanks

at

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 04:19:39 PM »
That is a great observation- tire plugs would no doubt interfere with the proper operation of those beads. See, brand new information in a new thread about an old subject. Good stuff.

Disclaimer: my post assumes that Dyna beads are even capable of "proper operation" under any circumstances. I know there are those who love to hate that product but I really do not have an opinion about Dyna beads other than being impressed with their ability to rile up the natives on the 'Net.  ;D

Brian

thanks Conrad,

I got it after seeing the word "again" but then a search didn't give out much things here, i m searching on the other COG forum and found something, still reading there.  Anyway seems it doesn't fit me, the beads i mean, cuz of my habit of using the tire plugs.

Thanks

at
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 05:06:21 PM »
thanks Conrad,

Thanks

at

I think that both would be painful....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 05:10:13 PM »
Man. the learning curve here has to be tough on newbies. :)

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 05:16:11 PM »
Any conversation concerning "beads" tends to make my wife a bit uneasy.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 05:45:40 PM »
Man. the learning curve here has to be tough on newbies. :)

They gotta learn sometime...  Anything they say can be and will be used against them in a humorous way.

Any yes, Poke's wife does get nervous about any conversations about beads.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 08:23:29 PM »
That is a great observation- tire plugs would no doubt interfere with the proper operation of those beads. See, brand new information in a new thread about an old subject. Good stuff.

Disclaimer: my post assumes that Dyna beads are even capable of "proper operation" under any circumstances. I know there are those who love to hate that product but I really do not have an opinion about Dyna beads other than being impressed with their ability to rile up the natives on the 'Net.  ;D

Brian
Perhaps you mean that there is no doubt in your opinion...  Personally, I do doubt that a tire plug would significantly interfere with the proper operation of the beads.  A few would probably stick to the plug at first, but the remainder would continue to operate "normally", however that may be perceived.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 08:26:46 PM »

Brian

Tire plugs are a another great topic!  :D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 08:34:14 PM »
Of course the 'in my opinion' is implied, just as it is when you post about those beads, right Clyde?  ;)

That said, I believe the beads must be free to move about inside the tire, and the stalk of a tire plug sticking up (or is that down?) into a tire carcass has to impede the beads' movement. I will not go so far to say that I think a tire plug would outright defeat the operation of the beads, just that a tire plug would have some effect on their operation. Assuming of course that the balancing beads work at all (easy there Clyde, just pulling on your chain a bit  ;)).

Brian

Perhaps you mean that there is no doubt in your opinion...  Personally, I do doubt that a tire plug would significantly interfere with the proper operation of the beads.  A few would probably stick to the plug at first, but the remainder would continue to operate "normally", however that may be perceived.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 08:34:50 PM »
Yeah, but how soon can you use a synthetic tire plug on a new tire?

Brian

Tire plugs are a another great topic!  :D

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 08:43:19 PM »
Actually, with DynaBeads, the correct phrase would be "in my experience".  I fortunately have no experience with the combination of beads and plugs, so yes, that part is "in my opinion".   Somehow, "no doubt" did not trigger the obviously implied "in my opinion" you mention.  My reading skills must be slipping. 

Your other misapprehension is that the beads are continually rolling around the tire.  Once the bike/tire is up to speed, they are for the most part stable in their location.  Since the plug slightly alters the balance point of the wheel/tire, the beads' location will likely shift somewhat from the pre-puncture pattern.

Cheers.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2011, 08:57:10 PM »
No, I made no such assumption. The assumption I did (and continue) to make is that the beads must be free to <reach> whatever relative position they [for lack of a better word] 'should' be in after the tire accelerates. That is when I believe the plug tail will get in the way- while the beads are traveling, not necessarily when they are static (assuming they do reach equilibrium and tend to stay in one place after the tire is accelerated to speed).

Just as an aside Clyde, it seems that sometimes you get a bit defensive when no defense is necessary. I was not attacking you, Dyna beads or anything else. In fact, I actually like you Clyde although I do think that occasionally you could reach behind you and pull that stick out just a little bit (not all the way because that stick is part of your charm). This is a great forum and I like participating here, and I like reading your participation too. But occasionally you seem a little sensitive. And believe me, I am aware of your language and behavior preferences and already take them into consideration, in addition to many other things, when I do post. So please consider that we may really all be on the same side, more or less.

Brian

<snip>

Your other misapprehension is that the beads are continually rolling around the tire.  Once the bike/tire is up to speed, they are for the most part stable in their location.  Since the plug slightly alters the balance point of the wheel/tire, the beads' location will likely shift somewhat from the pre-puncture pattern.

Cheers.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2011, 09:02:42 PM »
Any yes, Poke's wife does get nervous about any conversations about beads.

:-X

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2011, 09:18:59 PM »
These guys will help you with your Dyno Bead issues, give 'em a call

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2011, 10:36:11 PM »
I like you, too, Brian.  Even if you have a know-it-all attitude that is often unjustified.  A rope plug in a tire no more inhibits the flow of the dynabeads than a twig inhibits the flow of a river.  Of course, there may be a small delay or diversion, but the twig will not dam the river.  If you had 40 or 50 rope plugs in a tire, dynabeads would probably not work well.

Again, you seem not to grasp the concept of what the beads do and do not do within the tire.   Not that it is a big deal.  Perhaps trying to correct a misconception on the internet is a loser's game.  Perhaps even a sensitive loser's game. 

Your turn.   

Son of Pappy

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2011, 12:58:36 AM »
When the wheel is in a static/constant motion I feel safe that they will find their home.  What happens to those beads during mild to hard braking?  What happens to them on irregular roads?  Add in plugs and everything changes, which of course should include the TPS.  Machine testing in a controlled environment will not replicate what we get on the street.  Finding that light spot and fixing a permanent weight removes the variables you have with free floating beads,  I wonder, do MX riders use these?