Author Topic: To pull the tank or not pull the tank this is the question.  (Read 3358 times)

Offline m919

To pull the tank or not pull the tank this is the question.
« on: October 15, 2011, 02:03:39 AM »
Ok, I was getting ready to pour in some fuel treatment and when I unscrewed the cap the little cardboard seal under the cap came off and fell into the fuel tank. I am not sure if I should pull the tank and get the seal out of there or do you all think it will not be an issue. I guess my concern is it clogging and starving the bike for fuel. Thanks for your advise in this matter.
2009 kawasaki concours (red)
1999 honda valkyrie(sold)
2002 honda cb919(sold)

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
Re: To pull the tank or not pull the tank this is the question.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 02:33:56 AM »
I suppose what you need to figure out is what is the risk of not removing the cap seal or not.  Is it likely to cause problems?  I don't know.  I try to err on the side of caution and would most likely fish the cap seal out of the tank.  Removing the tank isn't that big of a deal unless it is really full.  :)
T.S.R.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 06:07:16 AM »
What are you going to do AFTER you remove the tank? You will still have to drain it to turn it upside down to get the seal out, right?  Might as well drain it first, then maybe you could vacuum the seal out.

Is the seal plastic or paper? I would look at the fuel pump in a parts diagram and try to evaluate the likelihood of a clog. Plastic will likey stay intact forever, paper might eventually dissolve. Just guesing. If it were my bike I would try to get it out. If it clogs it will probably happen when the tank is almost empty when your in the middle of nowhere trying to make it to a distant gas station :'(
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline Summit670

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 06:57:23 AM »
Maybe the seal is floating on top of the gas and you might be able to fish it out.

Take the seal from another treatment bottle and throw it in a cup of fuel so you can see the propensity of it to float and/or dissolve.

Decide from there what you need to do.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline Freddy

The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline m919

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 11:48:29 AM »
It is a paper seal with a foil backing, and of course it is a full tank of fuel. I guess ill will look into removing the fuel tank over the winter. Thanks for your help.
2009 kawasaki concours (red)
1999 honda valkyrie(sold)
2002 honda cb919(sold)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 02:15:57 PM »
Another perfect example for the use of a borescope. Someone just used one to remove a screw that had fallen into a spark plug hole and if I remember right, that person rented the 'scope from Home Depot or similar. Let the level in the tank drop, put the borescope in the tank and look around inside until you find it and then use some type of flexible retrieval device (the ones with the multiple expanding 'fingers' would probably work best) to retrieve the gasket.

Even if you pull the tank you probably won't be able to get that piece of debris out of it until you remove the fuel pump, and even then it might be a challenge. Of course if you are persistent you should be successful but the borescope sounds easier, faster and a lot more fun....

Maybe what we really need is a traveling borescope / retrieval service. Someone to come directly to your house or place of business and retrieve whatever you lost in an orifice.... well, not just any orifice but the ones found on motorcycles should be OK.

Brian

It is a paper seal with a foil backing, and of course it is a full tank of fuel. I guess ill will look into removing the fuel tank over the winter. Thanks for your help.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 04:22:16 PM »
Deja vu all over again?

Offline Frank ZZR

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 07:46:34 AM »
FWIW...the same thing happened to me on my Triumph Sprint a few years ago. I left it in the tank. Never had any issues.
2010 C 14 ABS
2008 ZX 250
2007 Vulcan 900 Custom
2002 ZZR 1200

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 07:54:47 AM »
I might let the warranty man get it out about the time I'm at the stealership when the new Zx14 arrives  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Spanky

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 03:32:22 PM »
Are you going to buy the ZX-14 in New Jersey in the middle of winter too?  ::)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 04:13:14 PM »
And he has to use SPOT again like last time so we can all follow along.....  ;)

Brian

Are you going to buy the ZX-14 in New Jersey in the middle of winter too?  ::)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com