Author Topic: Ticking noise or something vibrating?  (Read 9579 times)

Offline Awaz

• Arena
Ticking noise or something vibrating?
« on: October 11, 2011, 10:22:00 AM »
I have this faint ticking noise coming from the engine area. It is more prominent in the engine area. Weird part is that the frequency of the tick increases with engine speed. I am not sure if I got something loose (like a bolt or something) that is vibrating or if I got something else going on. Going to take the fairing apart to look, but wanted to see what you guys think.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
Re: Ticking noise or something vibrating?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 10:28:11 AM »
Header nuts? 
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 02:19:46 PM »
Sounds like a possible exhaust leak to me too...

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 02:57:07 PM »
Does this only happen when the engine is running? Sorry but someone had to ask....

The valve train on a C-14 does make some noise but not very much. There are no other odd noises that the engine makes other than the start- up rattle but that only lasts a few seconds. What others have said is probably correct- check the header nuts to make sure they are tight. If the noise persists you will have to track it down to a specific area of the engine.

Brian

I have this faint ticking noise coming from the engine area. It is more prominent in the engine area. Weird part is that the frequency of the tick increases with engine speed. I am not sure if I got something loose (like a bolt or something) that is vibrating or if I got something else going on. Going to take the fairing apart to look, but wanted to see what you guys think.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 08:43:25 AM »
Last night I took the bottom fairing off and tightened the header nuts. They were a bit loose but not excessive. But that did not fix the issue. I can still hear the 'ticking' (for lack of better words) noise. I tried to pinpoint where it is coming from. But all I can say it is somewhere from the top part of the engine. Again, there is no loss of power or any other functionality. It was just odd that I suddenly start hearing this noise about 2 - 3 days ago and it just won't go away. I even let the bike run for good 5 min or so to get warmed up completely, but the noise persist. Guess it is time to give the dealer a call?

To B.D.F, yes, it only happens when engine is running and frequency increases with rpm. Of course, at higher rpm, the natural engine noise drowns the ticking noise. You can hear it more prominently at idle or at low RPM (< 2000). So, the noise level does not increase with rpm - just how fast it ticks is all.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 08:47:18 AM »
I've heard a slight ticking since I've owned mine.... and all the other inline 4's I've owned.  A little bit of ticking is normal.

Except Yamaha, a little ticking is not normal but the LOUD "Yami-tick" as its called IS normal.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 09:07:14 AM »
Steve, well, the problem is that if I heard it from day 1, I probably won't be concerned. But since it appears to have come on like 2 or 3 days back, concerns me a bit.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 10:28:54 AM »
Yeah same here, I've been more conscious of ticking as well, it didn't start until about the 15K mark.  At least I haven't NOTICED it until then.  But it seems to come and go, sometimes it's pronounced and other times it's not.

Offline roadie

• RIP:2009 ABS....Welcome 2015 Black
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 12:22:25 PM »
I've heard a slight ticking since I've owned mine.... and all the other inline 4's I've owned.  A little bit of ticking is normal.

I've also heard this ticking noise sporadically, at low RPMs, tightened header bolts, still get it...very subtle.  I'm leaning toward what Steve says.  Frankly don't know if I had it from the beginning, as I generally listen to music while i ride or have ear plugs on.  The first time I did hear it though, it took my interest and now I'm always listening for it.  Sometimes don't hear at all.  Wondering if will still be there after valve adjust in 2,000 miles.
Will

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 09:00:21 AM »
Steve, well, the problem is that if I heard it from day 1, I probably won't be concerned. But since it appears to have come on like 2 or 3 days back, concerns me a bit.

2008 Bike....
have you gotten enough miles on it to do a valve adjust?
if it has been done, who did it?
maybe something got loosened/ installed incorrectly?
if it wasn't done, when do you plan to do it?

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2011, 02:37:32 PM »
I was making a funny but did not include the smiley. ;D ;D

Brian

<snip>

To B.D.F, yes, it only happens when engine is running and frequency increases with rpm. Of course, at higher rpm, the natural engine noise drowns the ticking noise. You can hear it more prominently at idle or at low RPM (< 2000). So, the noise level does not increase with rpm - just how fast it ticks is all.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2011, 03:14:40 PM »
One more thing, if a Kawasaki ain't tickin' and rattlin', take it to the warranty man as something is bad wrong  ;D

For example, mine was parked here in Tampa and was making noise without a rider.

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2011, 03:18:37 PM »
On a more serious note, insure the battery is good in your KiPass FOB, KiPass has been the miraculous savoir for my C14

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2011, 05:47:49 PM »
One more thing, if a Kawasaki ain't tickin' and rattlin', take it to the warranty man as something is bad wrong  ;D

For example, mine was parked here in Tampa and was making noise without a rider.

I will sleep better tonight for that.  Thank you.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2011, 08:19:06 PM »
I'm glad to have helped

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2011, 06:44:55 AM »
I agree with the others who say valve noise. And since the valve clearances are a periodical check item I would not be surprised that clearances change and thus the ticking noise becomes more noticeable.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2011, 08:19:14 AM »
2008 Bike....
have you gotten enough miles on it to do a valve adjust?
if it has been done, who did it?
maybe something got loosened/ installed incorrectly?
if it wasn't done, when do you plan to do it?

About 4000 miles. I did not think that was enough miles needing a valve adjustment. I called up the dealer to have them hear it. When I talked to the service guy, he also thought it might be the valves. Probably should state this - it is faint enough where I cannot hear it with my helmet on.....
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2011, 08:49:41 AM »
About 4000 miles. I did not think that was enough miles needing a valve adjustment. I called up the dealer to have them hear it. When I talked to the service guy, he also thought it might be the valves. Probably should state this - it is faint enough where I cannot hear it with my helmet on.....
Properly adjusted valves should make a faint ticking noise, at least on initial startup when the engine is not yet warmed up. It is the noise of the valve clearances getting taken up as the valves open and close. It is normal. If there was no noise you would have something to worry about.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2011, 09:02:39 AM »
lather what you said make sense. But still boggles me that I started hearing it only like from a week away. I may just have the dealer hear it and make an assessment. If they say it just needs a regular valve adjustment, I will tell them to wait a bit - I am pretty sure I will have to fork the money out for that.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline roadie

• RIP:2009 ABS....Welcome 2015 Black
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2011, 09:24:30 AM »
lather what you said make sense. But still boggles me that I started hearing it only like from a week away. I may just have the dealer hear it and make an assessment. If they say it just needs a regular valve adjustment, I will tell them to wait a bit - I am pretty sure I will have to fork the money out for that.

oh yeah definitely going to fork some money over for that.  THink they quoted me a 4 hour job just for labor.  I'm going to do myself.  Bought my shim kit months ago in preparation for the big 15K maintenance.  I'm actually kinda stoked to do it.  My son will have to relinquish command of his steed for a couple days so I can get to work while mine is dismantled in the garage.
Will