Author Topic: My Scratched Saddlebag Fix  (Read 23878 times)

Offline scooter

Re: My Scratched Saddlebag Fix
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2012, 08:24:12 PM »
looks good,you came up with a great idea.ill keep that in mind if i mess mine up

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2012, 11:12:59 PM »
That bike looks like Lord Vader!!!!!
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2012, 07:37:11 AM »
I used the Rustoleum on my summer windscreen, it all turned out even and uniform.

I think that looks sweet.  Can you provide more details on the vents?  Thanks

Excavator

« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2012, 10:43:06 AM »
I think that looks sweet.  Can you provide more details on the vents?  Thanks

I think it was a 2.5" hole saw, aluminum gutter guard attached to back of shield with 2 part epoxy, the rubber seals on the outside came from Lowe's (table leg caps or something). Cheap supplies but took a while to do it.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2012, 12:05:12 PM »
sounds interesting, can ya post a photo of the back side?  tks

Excavator

« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2012, 12:51:07 PM »
Sure.

Offline 4cedars

« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2012, 07:24:56 AM »
I have been tossing around installing a pair of the snap vents from the old Vetter Fairings for the same reasons

http://craigvetter.com/pages/Online_Store/Replacement_Parts/snap_vent_alert1.html

John
IBA# 45862
MTF Tourers Assistant
2012 Tour of Honor State Sponsor (IL)
2013 Tour of Honor State Sponsor (IL and IN)

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2012, 07:36:06 AM »
This has gone a bit off topic, but I am interested to know the difference you feel in regards to backpressure.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2015, 02:44:15 PM »
I love the idea! It serves 2 purposes...looks great and protects...win-win :finger_fing11:

Now, I was working on my bike when I first bought it, adding farkles, and didn't have a towel over my tank and I dropped a tool, taking a small chip of paint off my tank  :pukeface: I tried using touch-up paint to fix it but that stuff is HORRIBLE to use and it looks terrible! Now I'm thinking about spraying the tops of my bags and removing my tank pads and spraying both sides of my tank, covering the spot on my tank!

Thanks for the idea!
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2015, 03:02:06 PM »
Here's pics of the mark I have on my tank and the crappy touch-up job!

Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline mikeeitup

« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2015, 08:11:00 PM »
Brilliant work! I must go fix up my bags in this fashion as well! Great idea.
Mike
~Mike~
~2012 Black Connie~

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2015, 03:58:31 PM »
So, Saturday I spent the day taping off the bags, sanding them down and spraying them with the "Rustoleum Bed Liner" spray. I personally like the look and the fact that the scratches and nicks are no longer visible! Glad I did it but I will say that I was "stressed" to the max when sanding the bags! I was inspired to do this because of the pics posted by Gearhead. I realize there may be "haters" but I like the look (and so far many others have expressed their approval) and I know there may be others out there thinking about doing the same thing but are hesitant to do so...hope this helps!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2015, 04:20:51 PM »
So, Saturday I spent the day taping off the bags, sanding them down and spraying them with the "Rustoleum Bed Liner" spray. I personally like the look and the fact that the scratches and nicks are no longer visible! Glad I did it but I will say that I was "stressed" to the max when sanding the bags! I was inspired to do this because of the pics posted by Gearhead. I realize there may be "haters" but I like the look (and so far many others have expressed their approval) and I know there may be others out there thinking about doing the same thing but are hesitant to do so...hope this helps!

I am surprised at how nice that came out, too!  Seems this is really a viable solution for some people.  What works is that the seat is black and the back (bike facing) half of the pannier is also black, so it tends to blend well.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Jrodizzle07

« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2015, 04:22:19 PM »
Hellbender, what kind of rack is that on the back? Are those support arms under it? The bags look great by the way! I'm tossing around the idea as well.
Jarrod
Boone NC
2012 Concours, 2000 Vmax, 2003 XT225

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2015, 04:25:43 PM »
Hellbender, what kind of rack is that on the back? Are those support arms under it? The bags look great by the way! I'm tossing around the idea as well.

Thanks for the compliments guys! I'll tell you, I had my eyes closed while removing the masking! I was so stressed but pleasantly surprised with the results.

Jrod, that's the GIVI rack for their top case. It comes with those steel support arms and those things make that rack and top case really solid! My wife leans back and that thing doesn't move!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline Jrodizzle07

« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2015, 04:36:34 PM »
Awesome thanks. And I can't believe how close the texture of the Rustoleum bedliner matched the black plastic on the bag, great job.
Jarrod
Boone NC
2012 Concours, 2000 Vmax, 2003 XT225

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2015, 04:46:37 PM »
Awesome thanks. And I can't believe how close the texture of the Rustoleum bedliner matched the black plastic on the bag, great job.

Yeah...thanks! I was amazed too! My wife said not to do it but when I showed her the results she was all for it  ::) !
Mike
Ojai, CA

elp_jc

« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2015, 07:06:22 PM »
I'd have used different lines (covering only the 'flat' areas, not any of the sides) for an OEM look, but the job looks awesome man. Hope I never have to use that option, but if needed, would definitely take your approach rather than spending hundreds on new case lids.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2015, 07:24:25 PM »
I'd have used different lines (covering only the 'flat' areas, not any of the sides) for an OEM look, but the job looks awesome man. Hope I never have to use that option, but if needed, would definitely take your approach rather than spending hundreds on new case lids.
Yeah, I hear what you're saying but the reason for doing it was to cover the areas that get scuffed and the area you see covered was scuffed (and had some small but annoying scratches). My original idea was to cover just the flat areas but I changed my mind after looking at things and that is what I ended up with. Thanks for the compliment...appreciate it!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Online VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2015, 04:51:59 AM »
 :thumbs:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.