Author Topic: Clip-on wheel weights  (Read 4658 times)

Offline roadie

• RIP:2009 ABS....Welcome 2015 Black
Clip-on wheel weights
« on: October 06, 2011, 06:56:15 PM »
 :oAnyone have a source for these?  I'll be changing my Connie (definitely) and son's ninja annually (most likely) , so do not think I need a big kit.
Will

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
Re: Clip-on wheel weights
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 07:11:07 PM »
Stick on's are the way to go.

Put them near the middle, and roll hard., 8)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline roadie

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 07:18:26 PM »
I don't know better. Why they better than clip ons?  Thanks Jimmy
Will

Offline DaveO

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 07:54:42 PM »
stick on weights  less likely to fly off  and go throught your fender or radiator IMO.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 09:00:08 PM »
The clip on weights seem quite secure I don't think them likely to fly off. But you would have to buy a kit with various sizes to properly balance a tire. The stick on weights come in strips that can be cut to size. I just bought a pack of 5gms and a pack of 2.5gms should do me for the foreseeable future.

http://www.rockymtncycleplaza.com/eshopprod_cat_7197-58739-42499_product_1086456_keyword_weights.BIKEMASTER_WHEEL_WEIGHTS.htm
What I ordered, have not rec'd yet.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 09:03:06 PM »
I was a fan of the clip on weights, until I removed one and saw how it scratched the paint on the rim.  With the stick on weights, you can clean off the glue with a proper cleaner, and leave no real evidence it was ever there.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 09:31:06 PM »
I guess I have been lucky with my c14. Stock tires had no weights and my 023's have no weights either and I get zero wobble or vibration.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline roadie

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 04:56:33 AM »
cool. thx to all of you for the feedback.
Will

Offline Ozark Vulcan

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 09:53:09 PM »
Dyna Beads work awesome on my Vulcan

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 07:28:39 AM »
This will NOT be a discussion on Dyna Beads.  Start a new thread for that, please.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Aussie in AZ

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 07:37:50 AM »
This will NOT be a discussion on Dyna Beads.  Start a new thread for that, please.

Ouch Jim.  Did you get some in your Martini one time mate?  ;)

Aussie
Watch out for wombats on country roads at night!

'89 GPX 250.  '80 GSX 1100 EX.  '93 ZXR 750. '04 R6.  '81 CX 500. '82 Guzzi with side car.  '04 BMW Rockster. '09 Concours 14. '86 KDX 200.  '96 XR 100.  '92 PW 80

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 08:15:24 AM »
 :rotflmao:   No.  But past experience has shown that once the 'discussion' starts on this alternative method of balancing a tire, the thread gets heated and it's one of these..    :doublepuke: .    I don't mind this but not in a thread discussion on clip on weights.  There's also threads, I think (my mind blurrs on which forum reality I'm thinking about), that discuss this method to the nth degree.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline kdm

• Arena
  • Lakeland , Florida
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2011, 09:03:19 AM »
Thank you Jim ! :hail:
2001 C10  - sold
2008 C14

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2011, 10:44:36 AM »
I think the inner clip on ridges on C14 wheels are a nice touch - they keep the weights of the side of the rims and I think they are less obtrusive than stick on weights.  The dealer went with clip ons on the front and stick ons in the rear, last set of tires.

Offline ZedHed

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2011, 08:17:12 PM »
If the clip-on wheel weights get loose, they will tear the hell out of the wheel.  I know from experience - my dealer used them and I didn't notice until it was too late.  They have very sharp edges to dig into the center ridge and if they get loose those sharp edges shred the aluminum on the rim.

Stick on weights from now on......
"Life is a hard teacher - you get the test before the lesson is taught..."

Offline roadie

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2011, 06:39:26 AM »
got a pack of stick-ons.
Will

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2011, 10:52:45 AM »
I use the stick-ons...just make sure the wheel is oriented correctly (side wall mark) to the stem. You should not need more than one or two of the stick on square's. Anymore, and it needs to be remounted.
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2011, 04:37:05 PM »
I use the stick-ons...just make sure the wheel is oriented correctly (side wall mark) to the stem. You should not need more than one or two of the stick on square's. Anymore, and it needs to be remounted.
I have stick-on squares in both 5 grams and  2.5 grams. I have balanced tires that required up to 20 grams of weight.  Also the stem is not always the heavy spot on the wheel. You can balance the wheel w/o a tire and mark the true heavy spot.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2011, 05:13:45 PM »
Now that makes me wonder.... if clip- on weights were ground up into a fine power and then poured into the valve stem, would they somehow 'know' the right place to be inside the tire and balance the assembly anyway? Or do they just have to be in the form of balls to work their magic?

<snicker, snicker>

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2011, 05:15:41 PM »
You can get them through a dealer as a replacement part. If you have a good dealer nearby, they <might> spot you a weight or to get you on your way.

I use stick- on weights myself but the clip- on types are faster to use and work fine in my experience.

Brian

:oAnyone have a source for these?  I'll be changing my Connie (definitely) and son's ninja annually (most likely) , so do not think I need a big kit.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com