Author Topic: Rad fluid change  (Read 3593 times)

Offline h2smokin

Rad fluid change
« on: October 05, 2011, 04:12:48 PM »
Sort of goes with my last ? since I'm gonna remove fairings. Should I just change the fluid in the radiator? Bike was an 09 leftover I picked up new in march this year. Only has 6k on the clock but I'm assuming bike has had the fluid sitting in it for a couple of years before I bought it. Should I just swap it out and freshen things? Thanks as always for any info

Offline rcannon409

Re: Rad fluid change
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 04:25:20 PM »
Sure..why not?  Its not difficult once the right panels are off.  I used Honda HP2 coolant and it took much less than the owners manual said it would.  Yes, I did make the old fluid was  drained.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 04:47:02 PM »
If you use the engine drain plug on the left side, be very careful to stay out of the way if you crack the rad cap to make it come out faster....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline h2smokin

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 05:03:28 PM »
I'll keep the cap thing in mind. I heard it comes flying out and makes a mess otherwise. Thanks

Offline speed545

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 05:24:52 PM »
easy to do. i just held a 90 tube in front of the drain plug and it went real easy

08, Concours 14
Montreal Fire Dept

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 05:30:29 PM »
easy to do. i just held a 90 tube in front of the drain plug and it went real easy

Oh yeah, that works fine if you know about it in advance....   :)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline speed545

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 05:54:05 PM »
Oh yeah, that works fine if you know about it in advance....   :)

and thx to you, i knew  ;)
08, Concours 14
Montreal Fire Dept

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 07:06:56 PM »
Sure..why not?  Its not difficult once the right panels are off.  I used Honda HP2 coolant and it took much less than the owners manual said it would.  Yes, I did make the old fluid was  drained.
It took much less because much less than ALL of it drained out. I filled up with red water wetter after a "complete" drain. After running for 200 miles the fluid was still greenish. It takes two full flushes to do a complete coolant change.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 08:33:02 PM »
If you use the engine drain plug on the left side, be very careful to stay out of the way if you crack the rad cap to make it come out faster....

Yes..it flies out. Think Linda Blair in The Exorcist.  Also. even sitting on the filler, the cap semi-seals. Sometimes just bumping it causes the vomit effect.

Offline jasonc32amg

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 07:10:25 PM »
I plan on swapping the rad fluid in my 09 leftover at the next oil change. If you're in a warm climate just put in some water wetter/distilled water.

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 11:15:57 AM »
I would suggest two ideas...

One, have the bike on the side stand to help drain more of the coolant.

Two, check the header nut torque as long as you have the fairing off.

Brent
2008 C14 GTR1400 AKA "Connie"

Offline ZedHed

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 06:48:10 PM »
It took much less because much less than ALL of it drained out. I filled up with red water wetter after a "complete" drain. After running for 200 miles the fluid was still greenish. It takes two full flushes to do a complete coolant change.

That's why you just drain and refill w/ Kawasaki coolant and you don't have to worry about that.  Water Wetter doesn't do anything beneficial anyway......
"Life is a hard teacher - you get the test before the lesson is taught..."

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2011, 08:17:38 PM »
That's why you just drain and refill w/ Kawasaki coolant and you don't have to worry about that.  Water Wetter doesn't do anything beneficial anyway......
It is true, water wetter is not beneficial for an efficient cooling system like on the C14. It IS useful for  a trackday bike where antifreeze is not allowed. It also helps prevent boilovers in bikes with inadequate cooling systems like my VFR with side mounted radiators that don't get enough airflow at slow speeds.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.