17 (14.8%)
Avon Storm 2
2 (1.7%)
Bridgestone BT-023
7 (6.1%)
Other (Note in post below please!)
11 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 114

Author Topic: Next set of Tires  (Read 10924 times)

Offline Keith B

Re: Next set of Tires
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2011, 09:15:26 PM »
I got 14k miles from my PR2s.  I got only 6k miles from my Dunlop Sportmax Q2, but WOW what a fun 6k that was! Absolutely no squirreliness at Deal Gap or anywhere else for that matter.  Chicken strips disappeared  ;D

I now have another set of Q2s on it, but will likely go back to PR3s next time so they'll last more than one trip.

Offline Cheesecake

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2011, 09:58:01 PM »
I have had the OEM and the PR2 and PR3.  My favorites are the SHINKO VERGE 011.
I just installed the verges today.  Total cost shipped from Jake Wilson was $198.98.
2008 C-14

Offline MikeERideWNC

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2011, 06:14:34 AM »
I got only 6k miles from my Dunlop Sportmax Q2, but WOW what a fun 6k that was! Absolutely no squirreliness at Deal Gap or anywhere else for that matter.  Chicken strips disappeared  ;D

Tire threads kille me... Seriosly, I just sliced open my wrist with my trackball.

My riding buddy lives just north of Deal's Gap up by Pumpkin Center...
He spends the majority of time riding his 2009 C-14 on the Gap.
He could not get 1,400 miles out of the Q2... So I am impressed with your riding ability and not having any squirreliness on a 30mph road. 6K miles is awesome...(sarcasm)
Side note: Why didn't you ever pass that Harley that was going 20mph in front of you for the last ten miles of the Gap?  (sarcasm)

:stirpot:

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2011, 08:26:20 AM »
My PR2 can make wet roads pretty "exciting" at times.   And by exciting I mean check my pants after a nice "step out" exciting.   ;D  I am a pretty heavy handed rider though, so that doesn't help when the road isn't in the best condition.

If this is true then I think I willing to spend the extra $$ for the 3's. So far I LOVE them.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2011, 08:38:26 AM »
If this is true then I think I willing to spend the extra $$ for the 3's. So far I LOVE them.

In all fairness there probably isn't a tire out there that wouldn't have stepped out a little bit when the road is damp and "greasy".  Standing water on the other hand is probably a different ball game since the PR3's have all those nice sipes.  I will find out soon enough since mine should be here Friday.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2011, 08:42:24 AM »
I recently rode my PR3's in a deluge. But of course I was going quite slow so it's hard to know if they made a difference.

Offline mkorn

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2011, 09:30:05 AM »
I just did 1475 miles on a new Power2ct front and a 6k OEM rear and never had either step out on me ... even in the rain ... the P2ct worked great.
2009 C14 ABS
2002 750 Nighthawk (sold)
2006 DRz 400s

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2011, 09:42:10 AM »

You mean people doubt the PR3's still?  Thats about like doubting KiPass
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline mkorn

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2011, 09:47:03 AM »
I was going to go with the PR3's ... but they were more than i wanted to spend.
2009 C14 ABS
2002 750 Nighthawk (sold)
2006 DRz 400s

Offline DenverC-14

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2011, 09:47:11 AM »
In all fairness there probably isn't a tire out there that wouldn't have stepped out a little bit when the road is damp and "greasy".  Standing water on the other hand is probably a different ball game since the PR3's have all those nice sipes.  I will find out soon enough since mine should be here Friday.

I hit some major rain a few weekends ago, and the PR3's did great. Standing water, moderate cornering, cold temps with rain, and no issues at all. I've been converting my friends over, and so far I've got 3 on em. Hopefully more in the future.

Offline TRBN

« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2011, 10:12:05 AM »
Probably not.  The 3 sticks like glue in the wet.  The 2 has a tendency to step out here and there.

I put ALOT of wet weather riding in on this set of PR3's.  Rode through one of the worst rain storms of the summer up in Ontario in August.  The PR3's were absolutely good in the rain, but I could not say they were much better than the PR2's in the rain.  I took the PR2s on a trip to the Tail of the Dragon last year and rode it in the rain.  No problems with the PR2's.  They are solid in the rain, even on a road like the Dragon.  No "step out here and there", at least with my riding habits...  (My riding habits are a bit on the aggressive side, but not pure sport bike aggressive...)

Aaron

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2011, 11:22:35 AM »
^^^^ oh I agree and  the PR2's set the bar up HIGH  8)
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Keith B

« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2011, 03:04:33 PM »

Tire threads kille me... Seriosly, I just sliced open my wrist with my trackball.

My riding buddy lives just north of Deal's Gap up by Pumpkin Center...
He spends the majority of time riding his 2009 C-14 on the Gap.
He could not get 1,400 miles out of the Q2... So I am impressed with your riding ability and not having any squirreliness on a 30mph road. 6K miles is awesome...(sarcasm)
Side note: Why didn't you ever pass that Harley that was going 20mph in front of you for the last ten miles of the Gap?  (sarcasm)

:stirpot:

I was going to, but it said SHERIFF on the back of his shirt... (true story)..

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2011, 04:48:11 PM »
They don't make bad tires anymore. If you've heard of 'em, they're good. I have a hard time guessing which tires give the best grip or tire life. It depends on what I did to them last weekend. I can wear out a tire in a weekend, or make it last all month. It just depends where I went, and how much I pushed it.

I don't recommend the Contimotions though. They grip good, but it can't handle what the C-14 dishes out. At least with me at the helm. ;)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline TRBN

« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2011, 11:04:58 AM »
Looks like the Michelin PR2/PR3 are by far the most popular tire on the C14.  58 votes.  Not a bad response count.  (I thought the AVONs would get *some* votes....)

Thanks for participating!!!

Aaron

Offline Bourne2Ride

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2011, 03:00:36 PM »
I've hear good things about the Pilot Road 3s. So I'm going to try them for my next set. I'm actually still on the OEMs with 7500 Miles on them. Since its the end of the season, I'll wait till the beginning of the next season to get  them.
Save the Connie and Save the world!
- Heroes

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2011, 03:16:06 PM »
My PR2 is past the wear bars on the entire left side and the right side has about 2mm left.  I got 6,240 fun miles and 45 days out of it.  I think that is the most miles I have ever gotten out of a rear tire.  I will be putting on a PR3 next week, I will probably get decent mileage out of it since the bulk if it's life will be spent in the cold and wet this fall and winter.  Maybe this one will last longer than 45 days.   ;D

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2011, 04:41:55 PM »
My PR2 is past the wear bars on the entire left side and the right side has about 2mm left.  I got 6,240 fun miles and 45 days out of it.  I think that is the most miles I have ever gotten out of a rear tire.  I will be putting on a PR3 next week, I will probably get decent mileage out of it since the bulk if it's life will be spent in the cold and wet this fall and winter.  Maybe this one will last longer than 45 days.   ;D

They'll be half cooked after our Arkansas ride in two weeks. ;D

At least mine will. ;)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2011, 05:11:06 PM »
They'll be half cooked after our Arkansas ride in two weeks. ;D

At least mine will. ;)

500 miles of twisties down in Arkansas is like 5,000 nearly anywhere else.  I toasted a tire with 1000 miles on it last year, down there.  Limped home thinking I would see cords at any time.

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2011, 07:39:44 PM »
I am a PR3 lover, 3 sets this year and I get about 8k on rear and 11k or so on front.  I ride superslab 60 miles round trip everyday to work then ride on the weekends with sportbike group and grip is very important and these do an excellent job.