Author Topic: PR3 review  (Read 9404 times)

Offline Dade22

PR3 review
« on: September 22, 2011, 09:33:23 PM »
 ;D

Lets start by saying I had almost 7300 on the factory tires.  The back had the flat spot starting to show, but was a little ways away from the wear bars.  The front on the other hand was at the wear bars and had a funky shape.  (could be my riding style...or lack there of) LOL

Armed with a ton of info from this place, 2 trips to sears, a trip to HF, and one to Lowes, a stop by a friends house where she gave me a torque wrench (for free)...I was prepaired to remove the wheels and have the new PR3s put on.

With the factory tires I never felt 100% sure when taking curves with a hard lean.  Even when I had my bandit with the new road attacks they gave me the feedback I was looking for.

After putting the PR3s on...WOW!  I took it out for a test ride to see how they would handle. (yes...I scrubbed them in a little...but only about 35 miles of driving on them)

Found some nice curves and these things stuck like glue.  Never had any doubt they would let me down!  Very easy to manuver around and the bike feels more attentive to my input.  I was so impressed I kept riding and didnt want to go back home for dinner. (wife wasnt mad..she guessed I was out having fun on the bike)

After a nice 80 mile ride I returned home.  I see that I only have about an inch or so on both sides of the back tire that I havent touched yet, but that will change in the next few days or so.

I did do a short ride today adding about 40 more miles to the tires and Im looking forward to maybe some good weather this Saturday for a longer ride out of state.

If you have any questions to if you should or shouldnt buy these tires...just buy them...you will like them!

Dade22

"To punish and enslave..."

Offline GVmerle

Re: PR3 review
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 05:12:58 PM »
Thanks for the report.  They will be my next tires.

Offline DenverC-14

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 05:22:18 PM »
Very solid dry weather performer, and simply outstanding in the rain. First tire I was able to get shoulder to shoulder on the front with, as well. For me/my riding style, the Pirelli Angel seemed to push a bit more on corner exit than the PR3, so I'm glad I made the switch for that reason too. Have about 3500 on the rear, and 6500 on the front, and they are wearing quite well.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 05:33:40 PM »
I put on the PR3s in July after putting 10,500 miles on the OEMs. I now have 16,800 on it. So after 6300 awesome miles, I agree, these tires are pretty nice. I was waiting until they were through their life before giving any reviews on them. They are very grippy dry or wet. They were starting to show some wear at just under 6000 miles. I won't be completely sold on them until I go through the whole life of the tires. I got about 17,000 miles out of a set of PR2s in the past, so if they stay in the same ballpark, I'll get them again. If not, back to the PR2s.
Joel from Maine.

Offline cablebandit

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 10:23:09 AM »
I'm on my third set.  They are definitely my goto tire.

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 01:38:51 PM »
I have about 6000 on a set of PR3's.  It is has been mostly freeway driving unfortunately, but they are still round .  I found some nice twisties this past weekend and they were awesome.  The funny thing is I bought them to get an improvement in wet weather performance, and it hasn't rained since I bought them.  At least not enough for a decent test.  My buddies claim I get the credit for the Indy MotoGP being such nice weather this year.

Offline 2010rider

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 01:47:24 PM »
So did you guys go with the 190/50 or 190/55 on rear?

Excavator

Re: Dyna Beads in PR3s
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 02:08:25 PM »
Well, my stock front tire is toast at 4300 miles (looks like cooked bacon), the rear has a 1.5 inch flat spot around the center after riding 900 miles through Texas on the looong flat roads out there.

Anyway I was wondering if anyone has tried Dyna Beads in the PR3s, I'm having some mounted in a few days and trying to decide if I should have the beads put in or just go with conventional weights.

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 02:38:29 PM »
Dyna beads and tire pressure sensors don't play well together.  Go with conventional weights.

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 07:33:47 PM »
PR3's are the best!!!  Im on my third set of PR3's this year and I get about 8k out of rear and 11k or so out of front. 

Offline tthompsr

• 2009 Black Concours
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 08:06:17 PM »
First I want to say that the PR3's are a great tire in the rain, I never had them break traction even during heavy downpours with extreme ponding on the roads. I felt the same way with the PR2's and have went thru 5 sets on the Bike.with the PR3's I noticed at 7000 miles that the rear was showing a lot of wear,  (I've been getting anywhere from 8500 to 11000 miles out of a rear tire with the PR2's) Recently I picked up 2 holes in my rear Tire and while trying to plug the tire I noticed it was at the end of the wear bars, so I made the decision to go back to the PR2's as I felt that they lasted longer.
Like I said in the begining of my post I liked the tire but I don't feel they were worth the extra expense for a better grip in the rain while sacrificing mileage.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 08:18:11 PM »
Dyna beads and tire pressure sensors don't play well together.  Go with conventional weights.

Really?  I haven't had a problem.  As long as the valve isn't at the 6 o'clock position while adjusting air pressure it is fine.  Dyna beads are considered snake oil by some, but I have had great luck using them.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 08:35:08 PM »
No problem w/ DynaBeads and TPS here.  Two sets of PR2's.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline timbo

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 09:03:53 PM »
Really?  I haven't had a problem.  As long as the valve isn't at the 6 o'clock position while adjusting air pressure it is fine.  Dyna beads are considered snake oil by some, but I have had great luck using them.

Me too. Almost 3 years and 2 different sets of tires and no problems.

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 07:30:13 AM »
Okay, I'll back down.  My comment wasn't based on  personal experience but from comments I read on another thread here.  Sorry.

Offline landofahhs

• Sometimes I sits and thinks, sometimes I jus' sits
    • Taylor Town
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2011, 03:34:21 PM »

Just want to add some input....I only got 7.5K on the original Bridgestones and I can't say much for them as far as wear.  They wore uneven (especially the front tire) and the rear wore down to the bare steel belts with no warning other than normal wear signs....I had purchased a set of PR3's and had them in my garage.

I put on my first pair of PR3's at that time.  I replaced the rear PR3 at 16K miles on my Connie.  That tire could have gone at least another 1K easily I am sure, but I drive 100 miles each day and decided to be safe rather than risk being surprised by bare steel belts as had happened with the Bridgestones.  My replacement PR3 front tire is still on my bike (I am just under 20K miles) and it has almost all tread still showing with some minor flattening at the center.  The PR3's have been ridden in heavy rains in Kansas and year round.  I've passed cars that were pulling over due to the downpours and the PR3's have never given me any pause for concern...they have never hydro planed or lost traction on me yet. 

As for the quote above regarding dyna beads and TPS...it is the truth.  I mystakenly tried dyna beads when I replaced my OEM Bridgestones and my PR3 tire balance was irratic at best, especially the larger rear tire.  At normal speeds (below 70mph) all was well  as long as accelerations were slow and steady.  BUT on a quick launch from a stand still or when whipping up to 110mph or greater in a quick pass, all hell would break loose.  Needless to say I had the dyna beads removed from my PR3's after 4K miles of trying the beads out.  I will never use them (dynabeads) with a tire/wheel that has a TPS installed and I hope I save anyone reading this the anguish of making this discovery on their  own.  My 09 connie has never been smoother.

Excavator

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2011, 10:29:19 PM »
I just rode 700 hard miles on new PR3s in the Arkansas Ozarks, I must say the difference between these tires and the Bridgestone stockers is nothing short of shocking, I was very satisfied with the handling in all the twisties on those mountain roads. I would say the #1 improvement they made with the bike is how easy it was to negotiate the curves, on the stock tires I was having to muscle the bike because it would try to stand back up or (push) from the center of the curves off, with the PR3s the bike maintained its lean angle with ease from entry to exit. At this point I am very satisfied with these tires.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2011, 12:47:48 AM »
+1

PR3's are amazing.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Shad0hawK

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2011, 06:16:27 AM »
I just rode 700 hard miles on new PR3s in the Arkansas Ozarks, I must say the difference between these tires and the Bridgestone stockers is nothing short of shocking, I was very satisfied with the handling in all the twisties on those mountain roads. I would say the #1 improvement they made with the bike is how easy it was to negotiate the curves, on the stock tires I was having to muscle the bike because it would try to stand back up or (push) from the center of the curves off, with the PR3s the bike maintained its lean angle with ease from entry to exit. At this point I am very satisfied with these tires.

highway 123 (the section from hwy 7 to mt judea) destroyed my rear PR3. the front is very worn but still servicable.

PR3's are outstanding tires :)

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2011, 08:03:47 AM »
I got a flat tire on the rear PR3 at about 8,000 miles. The front tire is just starting to show wear. The rear was showing a little more. It should be replaced for free with the insurance I have on tires,but we'll see in a day or two.
These tires have awesome traction in the rain or dry. Combined with the abs even nicer. The TPS really came in handy. Flying up the highway watching the psi come down. Singing in my head. I Know I Can, I Know I Can!!! And I did. Filled it to 50 psi and run her hard 50 miles to home and ended at 25 psi.
Joel from Maine.