Author Topic: Corbin Smuggler trunk - arrived and installed, pics  (Read 24947 times)

Offline PH14

Re: Corbin Smuggler trunk - arrived and installed, pics
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2011, 02:48:47 PM »
That looks great!  :chugbeer:

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2011, 06:51:36 PM »
Don't drink much soda, either.  So did you have to break up the 12-pack to get it to fit or not?

Yes, I had to pull out 3 to clear the lid opening but then easily fit those 3 in there once it cleared the opening, my stomach couldn't tell the difference!  :chugbeer:

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2011, 06:53:44 PM »

Offline booger

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2011, 07:06:07 PM »
Damn that looks great. ;)

I was thinking it is way to small for my liking, but if it holds a 12 pack, it might work ;D

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2011, 10:29:48 AM »
It looks good and for those of us who do most of our riding solo (and commuting), going without the side bags, but still having room for lunch and some minor gear swaps is a good thing.

I just wish it wasn't so darn expensive.    :(
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2011, 10:33:07 AM »
Looks great.  My wife rides to often for me to think about getting one, but yours looks awesome.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline papaboomboom

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2011, 09:20:17 AM »
Nice pictures: I've had my smuggler since day one. Have put the side cases on just once in the year I have owned the bike. I can take a 2-3 day trip with the smuggler.

One suggestion: once a month check the latch screws and adjust and tighen if  necessary. They can come lose and the latch closure can move. Mine popped open at speed one day. Quick easy fix...use a mild loctite if you like.

ppbb

Yes, they're real...and they is sensational...

Offline booger

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2011, 10:15:30 AM »
A little small for my needs, but damn that sure looks good on your bike.

Congrats. ;)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2011, 06:09:55 PM »
Ok, let me first start out by saying that I am in total shock, I ordered this up a week ago and was told the standard Corbin 4 to 6 week leadtime, it arrived today!!  :o

I don't think they had it laying around from another possible canceled order because I had it ordered "slightly customized", because that's how I roll...  8)

They normally come with a "carbon-fiber look" lid but I asked them to paint the lid to match the trunk, all done in 09 black matching paint. The paint by the way came out beautiful, a perfect match to my bike!  :thumbs: :hail:

Here's some pics for you guys, I'm really pleased with it...  ;D

One downside I did come across putting it on is that with Phils rack on it will not clear...  :(

Luckily I still had the stock plastic rack to use for now but I'm gonna contact Phil and see if he can mod me one up to fit so that I don't have to swap racks when using my rear trunk on long solo trips, more to come on that...

Hey brutha's, just wanted to "Phil" you in on how this all turned out regarding my rack...

I sent my Phils rack to Phil for some slight modification (call it rack inhancement...  ;) ), he filled the mounting point holes in and had them repositioned just a tad further forward which moved the rack back just ever so slightly that it would clear my Corbin Smuggler trunk.

It arrived back to me today and the quality of work is absolutely incredible, I can't even tell where the previous holes were on the rack!! See pics below...

And as always Phils communication through the entire project was excellent!!

Now I can still have all the great benefits of Phils rack strength even with my Smuggler on, I can even run both the Smuggler and my Kawi 47 trunk now for loaded up solo trips, and I don't have to deal with swapping out the crappy oem plastic one with Phils when I put the rear seat and trunk back on for when Mama rides with me!!  ;D ;D ;D

Thank you Phil, you are Da'Man!!!  :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2011, 04:27:04 AM »
Looks Great ZG! And Phil ... Great work!
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline RedBombardier

« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2011, 07:37:53 AM »
It does look great.  Just wish it wasn't so darn expensive...  :( :( :(
Chris from the Big "D"
COG# 9361
AMA# 672853 Life
2009 Candy Diamond Red C14, Guhl. Delkevic

Offline Khrome

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2011, 07:48:42 AM »
It does look great.  Just wish it wasn't so darn expensive...  :( :( :(

agree... never owned anything corbin, simply because i have always felt it was over priced  ??? its for sure they do make nice stuff, but that trunk and smuggler should come with a super model for the price  ;)
Khrome 2011 C14...09 Kaw Voyager...08 Yam WR250X...07 Yam FJR...06 Suz M109...04 Yam RoadStar...03 Kaw ZZR 1200... 02Kaw ZRX1200...01 KTM LC4...00 Kaw KLR 650...99 Kaw C10...98 Kaw ZRX 1100...94 Kaw Zephyr 750...85 Kaw 454LTD...79 Honda XL250S

Offline ZedHed

« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2011, 05:29:18 PM »
That thing looks "farkeliceous -- makes me want to paint my '08 black, which I will if I ever drop it.
"Life is a hard teacher - you get the test before the lesson is taught..."

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2011, 05:43:07 PM »
That thing looks "farkeliceous -- makes me want to paint my '08 black, which I will if I ever drop it.

Thanks ZH!  :chugbeer:

Yep, the black will make your 08 faster...  ;D

Joncon11

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2011, 08:08:43 AM »
Just ordered mine today! Can't wait to get it!

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2011, 10:03:14 AM »
Just ordered mine today! Can't wait to get it!

Congrats JC!  :chugbeer:

What color?

Joncon11

« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2011, 04:16:47 PM »

Congrats JC!  :chugbeer:

What color?

Why the fastest color of course..black. They dinged me 100 bucks for shipping! Whats up with that? Does this thing come in a crate or something?

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2011, 06:16:18 PM »
Why the fastest color of course..black.

Indeed brutha, good answer!  8)   :thumbs:

Joncon11

« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2012, 03:39:30 PM »
Hey ZG (or anyone with a Smuggler), did you have an exceptionally hard time getting the metal hoop on the smuggler trunk to "click" into the seat latch? It seems so simple! The metal tabs go under the front seat bracket and the metal hoop locks down into the stock seat lock...right? I have to push mine so far forward to get the metal hoop lined up with the stock latch that I dinged the paint up on the seat release  >:(. I have to be missing something, very frustrating after a 10 week wait...

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2012, 04:02:38 PM »
Hey ZG (or anyone with a Smuggler), did you have an exceptionally hard time getting the metal hoop on the smuggler trunk to "click" into the seat latch? It seems so simple! The metal tabs go under the front seat bracket and the metal hoop locks down into the stock seat lock...right? I have to push mine so far forward to get the metal hoop lined up with the stock latch that I dinged the paint up on the seat release  >:( . I have to be missing something, very frustrating after a 10 week wait...

The only problem I had was I had to really push down hard to get the latch to "click" where that U shaped hoop clears the r shaped latch on the bike, I hit the inside part of the U loop on the smuggler where the latch makes contact with a dremel (not too much at all, just enough to take the finish off) and walla, easy like butter now...

Congrats on your smuggler finally arriving, post up some pics of it mounted for us to drool over!  :thumbs: