Author Topic: Surging, possible o2 sensor issue with Autotune...  (Read 18639 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Surging
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2011, 07:46:10 PM »
First of all, great to hear you found a solution (the fixed map). It is not quite clear where you got the new sensor but it sounds like maybe it is coming into NAPA in a day or two? If you did order it you probably cannot send it back- that price is not all that bad, and it sounds like they did help you out so.... whatcha' gonna' do.

Not to rub salt into the wound but this place: http://www.oxygensensor.net/widebandsensors.php   has that sensor for $70, and believe it or not, they ship them from Washington state by the looks. This info. is really for anyone else who might need a sensor in the future. I have no knowledge or connection with this company whatsoever, I just found them on the 'Net so I cannot vouch for either the company or the product.

Brian

So, heres the update, NAPA didnt have the 02 sensor, I took the one off the bike and the part number is 17205.  Hold onto something, with discount it is 124.07-before taxes.  Jaime sent me an email with his map for the flieless full system, he also recomended that I check all connections as his experience has been they work loose.  Everything was tight and clean.  I put in the old sensor after I cleaned it as best I could and started her up.  I was getting an intermitant reading from the AFR readout, but it stayed mostly (technical term) on 9.99.  I uploaded the map from Fuel moto, disabled the Auto tune, rubbed my fob, and BAM!!!!  Instant success.  I am giving full credit the awesome powers of KiPASS, and of course my bestest friend, MaryJoe Tinkerpants ;)
I will install the new sensor tomorow eve and will send a followup as I get it.  Well, back to the bike, she's 'bout half nekid and ready to be ridden 8)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Son of Pappy

« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2011, 10:19:02 PM »
Yep, NAPA will have it tomorow morning, I'm feeling a cold coming on-hack hack, I found em cheaper but I needed it by tomorow, so I paid the piper.  The test ride went great, no more surging and the rev limiter seems to be closer to 2nd :D  I'll ride her in tomorow, pick up the new sensor, install, set AFRs, go for another test ride, then change the oil.  I'll have around 1500 on it so it wont be a large loss.  I'm thinking I'll try some sea foam in the mixture, drain and fill er with some fresh 20W40 Lucas full syn.  I may as well do the rear as well.
I got a phone call from Mary Jane Tinklepants, seems she has been looking for MaryJoe Tinkerparts for some time.  MaryJoe used to own a C14, seems she experienced some kinda fob fobia and turned on the KiPASS gods.  She traded it in on some old outdated bike and now rides an FJR all wrapped up in a fuzzy snuggy.

Jaime at Fuelmoto was prompt and offered great advice, he sent me the base map for my bike, and cautioned me to verify the connections.  A subpar retailer woulda been pushing another sensor, not him.  He will be keeping my buisness and I hope others will as well.

Bottom line, she's running and well, I am looking forward to having the auto tune back up and running.
Thanks to all,

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2011, 05:18:37 AM »
Additional information requested.....when are O2 sensors used?  Where there is an aftermarket dual exhaust such as the Full AreaP?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2011, 05:22:19 AM »
1) When a Dynojet Autotune is installed with a Power Commander V.
2) '08 Concours 14-- Zx14 headers, mid pipes, Muzzy CF duals.

See following post from SOP for benifits.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 08:01:56 AM by gPink »

Son of Pappy

« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2011, 07:11:09 AM »
Additional information requested.....when are O2 sensors used?  Where there is an aftermarket dual exhaust such as the Full AreaP?
The full AreaP is a 4 into one exhaust with the option of having an 02 bung welded in so that the Auto tune module can be added to the PCV.  Gives you the ability to fine tune the air fuel ratio (AFR) to better suit the riders desires, such as more power or better fuel economy.  In effect becomes a rolling dyno in the sense it tunes on the fly.  The drawback?  As is evident, it adds another link into the chain of devices, and as we all know, links can break :(  I went the route for 2 reasons, adjustability, and to ease my almost guilty mind over losing the cats.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2011, 07:50:07 AM »
At least one of the cats were found in NYC....

http://news.yahoo.com/colo-cat-missing-5-years-found-nyc-street-000218501.html

And no, I can't help myself.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Son of Pappy

Re: Surging, possible o2 sensor issue with Autotune...
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2011, 08:35:35 AM »
My cats were full of holes 8)

Jim, thanks for labeling the thread better. 

Ride in this Morning was most excellent, nice smooth throttle response.  I'm back in control of the throttle.  I'm going to take my laptop with me tomorow to the track, gonna play with settings a bit.  I want to see if an average rider will really feel the benefits of an 02 sensor.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2011, 08:46:35 AM »
You know, O2 sensors last a pretty long while in cars.  You haven't had yours in there that long.  I wonder if something caused it to go bad?  These sensors are usually pretty robust.  They can be contaminated by overly rich fuel mixtures, though.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2011, 09:00:54 AM »
The sensor was nasty, I'm certain that if the sensor wasn't faulty Jaime will take care of me with another auto tune module.  I will be sure to post up results.  I had somewhere in the neighborhood of 30-40k on the sensor, either 4 or 5 trips to the track, and lots of rolling parking lot commutes.  None of which would be overly kind.  All I know at this time is once I disabled the auto tune function she runs great.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2011, 08:24:02 PM »
Quick update, replaced the sensor, the AFR readout is now showing adjustments.  I'll give more feedback as I have it.

Thanks mama Kaw for KiPASS, without it I'm certain my bike woulda died a horrible death ;D

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2011, 04:16:16 AM »
I know I'm late to this party, but if you had found an O2 sensor of the same brand with the same number and color of wires but the wrong connector, you could have just changed the connector. I've (in the distant past) bought the Bosh generic O2 which comes without a connectoe and then cut the original connector off of the bad O2 and spliced it to the new O2. Worked for me and the new O2 was a lot less $$$.  8)
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2011, 06:26:00 AM »
I know I'm late to this party, but if you had found an O2 sensor of the same brand with the same number and color of wires but the wrong connector, you could have just changed the connector. I've (in the distant past) bought the Bosh generic O2 which comes without a connectoe and then cut the original connector off of the bad O2 and spliced it to the new O2. Worked for me and the new O2 was a lot less $$$.  8)
Thanks Pope, I did have that thought, but time was a factor, I'm almost out the door for the track ;D  Should be an awesome day, temps will be in the low to mid 60's and rain wont get here till tomorow or Sunday so I should have gobs of power and a dry track.

Offline Fretka

« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2011, 06:19:38 PM »
Sensors can be affected by rough handling, moisture condensing on the probe due to physical location and certainly many fuel additives that one might use for various reasons.
Glad to hear all is well.

Fretka
Wretched excess visited upon an innocent C-14

Son of Pappy

« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2011, 02:41:03 PM »
So, I ended up doing two levels on the Street Skills, meant more track time, but no time to do the switch between auto tune and Jamies MAP.  Bottom line is verything worked awesome, topped out at about 145ish several times (indicated, GPS lag time sucks) on a 3/8ths mile section before a coned off chicane.  No hickups, gobs of power and a massive thirst for fuel, readout showed 24.6 for the entire track session.
A side note, the EBC rotors and EBC HH pads never showed a sign of fade, vastly superior to the CL pads in regards to track type use.  Once I set up an account with you tube I'll post up some vids I shot with my Contour HD. 

Fretka, up till my trouble shooting efforts I didn't use any additives, I usually burn through 2 tanks a week so fuel stays fresh.  It has been known to be on the wet side here in WA State.  I'm not sure if our premium fuel has ethanol or not, but it wouldnt surprise me if it did.  I'll be keeping Jaimes MAP saved so if I ever have the surging issue again I can simply turn off the auto tune, his MAP really works good.  Up next, I need some time to install the ZX14 TBs, need more power ;D

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2011, 08:44:18 AM »
I am thinking about buying the autotune along with a full AreaP (already ordered the exhaust).  Is this worth the $200 to possibly get a little better economy and performance.  If I can get by without an extra link in the chain of modifications, I probably will.  But if anyone has real world experience of getting an extra five mpg or more, then it might be worth it to me.  If it is only worth a mpg or two then I will probably pass.  But I am having the bung welded on with and Jaime said he could include a cap so that if I change my mind down the road I will have the option of adding it without modifying my exhaust.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2011, 08:59:39 AM »
Jeremy, I installed a PCV w/autotune when I put the zx dual system on. Stock I was getting an indicated 32-36 mpg. After the install 38-44 indicated. I would recommend the complete system.
As always JMHO.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2011, 09:28:27 AM »
Jeremy, my experience is the consistency of 42 MPG year round.  Although I had an issue with the 02 sensor, I'd do it again.  I havent heard of anyone else having this issue so it isnt a widespread problem that I am aware of.  Remember, I'm out here in the Pacific Northwet and I ride in the rain, not to mention I am on a track twice a year were I really get to open her up over and over.  It's also nice to know I have control of my MAP.  FRETKA has been a big help in learning what to do.
So, yes, to me it is worth the extra money :)

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2011, 10:07:00 AM »
I guess I am just "afraid" of tinkering with my maps (this is why I haven't even downloaded my PCV software onto my computer).  I have had great luck with my PCV since it came preloaded with Jaime's map, and don't want to jack it up.  I will change tires and check valve clearance in a heartbeat but when there are a bunch of electronics involved it gets intimidating.  I guess I just need to do it and if there are problems, I know who to call. 
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 10:48:15 AM by Jeremy Mitchell »
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2011, 10:36:54 AM »
Roger that!