Author Topic: Need help repairing a tank bag map pocket.  (Read 4860 times)

Offline BS-in-KS

Need help repairing a tank bag map pocket.
« on: September 09, 2011, 12:21:03 PM »
I've got an older Eclipse tank bag and the map pocket is the ziplock kind, which wore out years ago, so not only will it not close but the plastic is milky and frosted.  What I'd like to do is make a new pocket for it with a velcro closure. 

First I need to know where I can find some clear heavy plastic. Preferably at a local type store such as our Hobby Lobby stores or Office Max, Home Depot, Lowes, fabric store or other chain store.  Does anyone know who might carry this type of clear plastic? 

Next I need to know how to seam it on three sides.  Or should I just use the sticky backed velcro strips on all 4 sides?  I have all the tools and snaps to add the snaps to the corners so I can snap it back in and flip it over as needed.

Any help or knowledge you all can share would be great and appreciated!
(And no, I didn't search for this one yet either here or on google.  I like going straight to the people since you guys collectively know how to do all or most everything anyway.  :) )

Thanks!
Brent S.

Offline Loren

• Baldwin Motorbike Saddles
Re: Need help repairing a tank bag map pocket.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 12:58:28 PM »
Brent,  My local Walmart carries clear vinyl in several guages in the fabric dept. 

Closing would be easy just sewing it and use some binding on the edges. 

Post a post of the bag and maybe I can help more with ideas.

Loren
Loren
Baldwin Motorbike Saddles
www.MotorbikeSaddles.com

Offline BS-in-KS

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 02:51:53 PM »
Thanks Loren,

I just found "my" tank bag while doing a search and found that I can order a new map pocket for it straight from Eclipse.  However it'll probably cost me about $20 to $25 and may not get here in time for my upcoming trip.  And besides, I rather like the idea of making my own if I can. 

Here is the best I can do for now.  I'll try to replace this with a photo of my actual bag and map pocket later after I get home.

I thought I'd run by Walmart after work and see what mine carries in the fabric section.  I thought of that or even maybe a heavy clear vinyl shower curtain or something like that.  So I've a limited sewing ability but are you saying I use binding between the layers on the edges?  And will that keep it/make it waterproof?  I was thinking pvc cement if I'm working with a clear vinyl but wasn't sure if that might be too "hot" when it glues and just destroy the clear sheeting.  Guess I'll have to play experiment some and see.

Thanks for helping!
Brent S.

Offline Loren

• Baldwin Motorbike Saddles
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 03:34:26 PM »
Okay,  The forward end would have no seam.  It would be the material fold line.  Picture folding a piece of paper in half.  For the RH/LH edges, you could try the PVC cement.  I have never tried the pipe kind on upholstry vinyl, but it is worth a try.  For a quick and dirty there is always the trusty roll of duct tape in your color of choice.  They the aft end you can fold a flap under and use the adhesive velco to close. 

Think of binding as a premade U-shape strip of material used to go over the outside edges to finish the edges, just like using the duct tape, but with sewing.  Look for bias tape at Walmart or any fabric store.
Loren
Baldwin Motorbike Saddles
www.MotorbikeSaddles.com

Offline BS-in-KS

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 03:55:36 PM »
Yeah, it was the bias I was thinking about going inbetween.  Binding would be better and reinforce where I punch snaps through at as well I would think.  I've got a friend who just took an upholstery class for his auto restoration degree. Maybe I'll hit him up for help tonight.

Well, I'm off work in a few so I'm off to shop for materials.  Wish me luck!

Brent S.

Offline Stasch

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 01:19:32 PM »
For a quick fix, velcro a heavy duty freezer bag in the same spot.

I have a bunch of rhe clear vinyl stuff from Walmart, and its pretty durable.

I use it on my tank as a tankbag protector.  Goes on a lot like a tank slapper, but costs pennies.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline BS-in-KS

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 11:13:05 PM »
Wow, got moved to the open forum.  I thought this was an accessories type of thingy but perhaps there is more exposure this way.  No problems and sorry if I posted this in the wrong area.

After playing with the vinyl sheeting some this weekend I determined first that regular pvc cement wouldn't touch it.  Second, with the slightly thinner stuff I bought from Hobby Lobby I could use a regular clothing iron and thermally fuse it enough that I'd have to force it apart with the same force that I'd have to use on any commercial seam.  However, when I tried the same ironing trick on the thicker stuff I bought from Walmart (which was what I really wanted to use) it wouldn't fuse together enough to stay stuck very well.  I could easily pull it back apart.

So I broke down and ordered the clear replacement map pocket from the Eclipse website and, incase it doesn't arrive before I leave this Thursday, I made up a quick pocket that I cut, folded to final size and then used sticky velcro on the other three sides.  Added snaps and in a pinch it'll work fine.  Bottom line is I can throw a map and my phone into it and punch send and end if someone important calls (like my wife or brother who I'm riding out to meet.) 

Think I've had enough of playing with clear vinyl for a while.  Now on to worrying about packing and prepping for the trip.

Thanks for the advice and help offered. 

Brent S.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 12:41:43 AM »
Brent,
may be off topic but I can give you a tip that I find very useful to speed up the packing process before a bike trip. On some piece of luggage that only goes with this kind of trips (like the tank bag) I always leave a piece of paper with a list of items that every single time I need to take along, such as
- 1 set of underwear + shirt per day away
- one or two small (0,75 lt) bottle of water
- personal ID
- bike's manual and papers (ensurance, etc.)
- couple of tools
- camera
- wallet
- sunglasses
- ear plugs
- torch
- couple of aspirins
- etc

This list is the first thing I check (with which I fill up half or one bag, deppending on how long I'll be on the road) and then concentrate on the particulars of each trip, which usually is not much more. This speeds up the process a lot and leaves more time for route planning, which is what I like the most.
Have a nice ride!
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline BS-in-KS

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 08:52:02 AM »
Thanks Martin_14.  I actually have a spreadsheet that I developed from someone's master trip list when I went out last April to pickup my bike.  I can customize it pretty quickly and easily to whatever the trip is I'm taking.  As this will be my first multiday trip in quite some time, I'm just nit picking my list a little.  I know what I need pretty much but I'll still fret a little until I'm actually on the bike and on the road and can't go back for anything.  Just the way I am.  Send me out in the pickup to work or play and I can have a go bag ready in 15 min. for upto a week away or more.  But anytime I plan to camp, I just have to sit for days it seems and think it all through.  What can I take and not and what will fit where.  Give me another couple years with this bike and I'll have it refined so that I can pack and be ready in an evening.  For now though...

Just incase you'd want to see it. I'll try and attach the spreadsheet list.  (Oops. Had to make it into a Word doc. so it would attach.  Couldn't attach it as an Excel file.)  And I might try and snap a picture of the cobbled map pocket and set up before I leave if anyone is interested and post them up here. 

Brent S.

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 09:37:02 AM »
Wow, got moved to the open forum.  I thought this was an accessories type of thingy but perhaps there is more exposure this way.  No problems and sorry if I posted this in the wrong area.
<snip>
Thanks for the advice and help offered. 

Brent S.
Of course you messed up.  Thinking that a tank bag is a motorcycle accessory?  What are you?  Daft, or something?

VJ is a nice guy, but he is addicted to moving threads around.  Sometimes he can control it, but at  other times, the inner voices overwhelm him.  Don't take it personal.

Here is a link (with other links) to another editable list for those interested:
http://micapeak.com/checklists/mclist.html

Have a good trip. 
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 11:32:27 AM »
VJ is a nice guy, but he is addicted to moving threads around.

. . . as are others  ;D
In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 11:54:49 AM »

VJ is a nice guy, but he is addicted to moving threads around.  Sometimes he can control it, but at  other times, the inner voices overwhelm him.  Don't take it personal.

What's that?  You want me to delete this thread?  I don't want to do that.  Yes you do..  You know you want to.  No, really I don't.  It's in a good place now.  You do really need to delete this thread, you know.  We won't be nice to you anymore if you don't delete this thread.  Well, if you put it that way then I'm going to start taking more medication and that will quiet you up for a bit.  Ok, Ok, we'll be quite for now.  Good, I can hear crickets....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2011, 01:13:49 PM »
Quick Jim, more tonic (quinine)! The malaria is winning....

Brian

What's that?  You want me to delete this thread?  I don't want to do that.  Yes you do..  You know you want to.  No, really I don't.  It's in a good place now.  You do really need to delete this thread, you know.  We won't be nice to you anymore if you don't delete this thread.  Well, if you put it that way then I'm going to start taking more medication and that will quiet you up for a bit.  Ok, Ok, we'll be quite for now.  Good, I can hear crickets....
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Kirby

• I ride up front and look through the hole.
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 01:16:57 PM »
Quiet you! Jim is doing fine. Nothing wrong with a small split in one's personality....

'Roses are red, violets are blue.
I'm schizophrenic, and so am I.'

- Bob Wiley, "What about Bob?"

Kirby

Quick Jim, more tonic (quinine)! The malaria is winning....

Brian
Member: Dead Rodent's Riders
President: KiPass Lover's Society

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2011, 02:28:29 PM »
LOL
Sadly, I hear the crickets, too.  As long as I don't start hearing Kirby, I'll be fine.

PS  Tank bags really are motorcycle accessories.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2011, 03:17:21 PM »
Yep, you're right.  They are MC accessories, but in a universal way.  Since we have both C10 and C14 experienced sport touring riders I figured we'd have a larger gene pool to gather help from here.  We don't have a board for General MC Accessories.  I suppose we could create one but it takes time, you've got to fill out paperwork, buy Rick beer....  it's just not worth it.  I could do this with other accessories but I'm fickle as well as hearing voices.....  ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline BS-in-KS

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2011, 10:24:54 AM »
Jim, why do you have to go all logical and make perfect sense? I mean what use do we really have for that kind of talk?  ;D  The tank bag is an accessory but not a C14 specific accessory and there's a much larger general audience here which is what I figured you were going for.  I thought it was cool and was only feeling guilty for a moment for posting in the wrong place originally.  I should have just relied on the voices in your head to move it where it best fit (which you did) and not felt bad about it. 

And since my part in the repair discussion is basically over (I gave up and ordered the replacement as well as making a quick and dirty substitute using velcro), we have since meandered off into the field which I think is the fun part!

Meander on...
Brent S.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2011, 10:57:43 AM »
No worries with me...  How about you guys?  Nope, we're ok too.

Looks like it's a consensus.  We're all ok.  :thumbs:

Offline Kirby

• I ride up front and look through the hole.
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2011, 11:22:36 AM »
I only think some of us are OK. I wonder about some of you.... Makes me want to keep a close eye on my nuts.

Kirby

Member: Dead Rodent's Riders
President: KiPass Lover's Society

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2011, 11:45:40 AM »

Without saying a word I see that we are in agreement....... :)
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010