Author Topic: opinion needed, my bike is not worth fixin?  (Read 7791 times)

Offline skeet

• 2009 Concours 14
opinion needed, my bike is not worth fixin?
« on: September 07, 2011, 04:49:12 PM »
Insurance wants to total the bike.
I have a 2008 c14 and now I think I want a 2010-11.
Can't decide what to do.
1) I could take the money do some minor repairs and have a perfectly drivable bike and pocket some coin.
2) Take the money and spend a few more dollars to get a new 2011 for $13,500 (not OTD price).

Is the 2010-11 bike worth the extra coin?

Thanks
Wayne

Offline CigarSki®

• Arena
  • Newb again?
Re: opinion needed, my bike is not worth fixin?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 04:56:12 PM »
If you have the bucks, new bike.  ;)
Wayne Sikorski aka CigarSki
2010 ZG1400 - South Jersey
COG 9250

Son of Pappy

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 04:57:34 PM »
IMO, no.  I want to ride the bike, I dont want the bike to ride for me.  I would fix the bike, contact Murph for any farkles not yet purchased, and enjoy the superior quickness found only on the Original Neutron Silver ;D

Offline Snibbor

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 06:50:15 PM »
IMO, no.  I want to ride the bike, I dont want the bike to ride for me.  I would fix the bike, contact Murph for any farkles not yet purchased, and enjoy the superior quickness found only on the Original Neutron Silver ;D

Dang right about that 8)

Offline skeet

• 2009 Concours 14
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 06:58:12 PM »
Thanks guys, leaning toward fixin. That just so I can spend the extra on cool farkles. Sure would like ABS and traction control tho  ;) heated grip aah the list goes on........

Offline CigarSki®

• Arena
  • Newb again?
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 07:34:42 PM »
Sure would like ABS and traction control tho  ;) heated grip aah the list goes on........
Pretty much why I passed up really good deals on 08-09s; wanted the ABS / Traction Control, higher mounted mirrors, better "perceived" heat managment in the cockpit and the luxurious Heated Grips.

COG 9250

Offline skeet

• 2009 Concours 14
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 07:48:23 PM »
What is your perception of the heat on the 2nd gen model?
I can feel it on the 08 to a point that it make me want something better.

Offline CigarSki®

• Arena
  • Newb again?
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 08:19:21 PM »
What is your perception of the heat on the 2nd gen model?
I can feel it on the 08 to a point that it make me want something better.
Well managed, but, any bike with a motor this big needs to move heat away. At a standstill on a hot day, you'll notice it. I'm always in full gear; summer is not my favorite time to ride.
COG 9250

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 08:28:21 PM »
Insurance wants to total the bike.
I have a 2008 c14 and now I think I want a 2010-11.
Can't decide what to do.
1) I could take the money do some minor repairs and have a perfectly drivable bike and pocket some coin.
2) Take the money and spend a few more dollars to get a new 2011 for $13,500 (not OTD price).

Is the 2010-11 bike worth the extra coin?

Thanks
Wayne

How much $ will they give you for it totalled Wayne? How much will it cost to fix? How many miles on her? Farkles?

Offline Jaxter

• Blue might not be fastest, but it's my favorite
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 08:30:39 PM »
go for the gusto...get the 2011
I've Never Had A Better Day

Offline skeet

• 2009 Concours 14
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 08:58:45 PM »

How much $ will they give you for it totalled Wayne? How much will it cost to fix? How many miles on her? Farkles?

Just over $7000, estimate for repair was $4800, I know I can fix it for prolly half that much. Bike has almost 30k on the clock and not much for the farkles. I will definitely get another Connie if I let em have this one. It is just the perfect bike for me. Really trying to weight the options. I could take the insurance money do the repair and finally add a couple things . Like a new exhaust and seat. Maybe electronic cruise. Plus get that new electric feed to the garage updated and who knows what else.
2010 or 2011 model with tradition and abs looks nice too. but still have the same trouble potato launcher and a crappy stock seat. Oh well things to ponder.
Wayne

Offline skeet

• 2009 Concours 14
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 09:01:09 PM »
Well managed, but, any bike with a motor this big needs to move heat away. At a standstill on a hot day, you'll notice it. I'm always in full gear; summer is not my favorite time to ride.

Yep me too, problem is even moving I get roasted in the saddle on hot days.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 09:30:07 PM »
Just over $7000, estimate for repair was $4800, I know I can fix it for prolly half that much. Bike has almost 30k on the clock and not much for the farkles. I will definitely get another Connie if I let em have this one. It is just the perfect bike for me. Really trying to weight the options. I could take the insurance money do the repair and finally add a couple things . Like a new exhaust and seat. Maybe electronic cruise. Plus get that new electric feed to the garage updated and who knows what else.
2010 or 2011 model with tradition and abs looks nice too. but still have the same trouble potato launcher and a crappy stock seat. Oh well things to ponder.
Wayne

IMO if they will cut you a $7k check directly to you and you can repair it for $2400 I'd keep it and spend that balance on farkles, full exhaust system, Corbin, etc...

If you take the $7k check you are still only half way to the price of a new 11, and you'd still need to get a new exhaust and seat etc...

No brainer for me, and you'd still have extra $ to get it painted black!  8)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 04:40:02 AM »
I'd go opposite.  If it were me I'd go for a an 11/12 model, assuming you like the color choices.  While the original 08 Neutron Silver is clearly the fastest color, the factory updates for the newer bikes would be the reason I would change up.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 05:09:02 AM »

IMO if they will cut you a $7k check directly to you and you can repair it for $2400 I'd keep it and spend that balance on farkles, full exhaust system, Corbin, etc...

If you take the $7k check you are still only half way to the price of a new 11, and you'd still need to get a new exhaust and seat etc...

No brainer for me, and you'd still have extra $ to get it painted black!  8)

Paint it black? He wants to keep the bike fast, not slow it down!

I'd agree with ZG here, cept for the paint. If you can fix the '08 for under $3k and pocket the rest, that's what I would do.

OR, you could fix it up and then sell it and get the new bike.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2011, 05:59:14 AM »
IF the bike is well-maintained, and in otherwise very good condition.  I'd fix that pup and pocket the cash.  That said, I have the ABS 08 model, and ABS is all I care about.  DO NOT need traction control or linked brakes.  But that's me.  I'll take them if the bike I want has them, but won't upgrade to get them.

Good luck,
Barry
Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap... Avoid it now, do a trackday.

Area P full exhaust, PC-V, Autotune, filter, flys out.

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2011, 06:02:09 AM »
I'm confused as to how much they will give you.  If it would cost them $4800 to repair it, why would they give you $7000 AND let you keep the bike?  Something isn't making sense.

As to which bike, I don't feel any heat from my 2010, but I've ridden a 2009 and felt a lot of heat.  But you've already owned the bike, you obviously know whether the heat bothers you or not on it. 
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2011, 06:03:11 AM »
I like my 08 and there's nothing wrong with it as far as riding but if I were in the OP's position I would upgrade.  I wouldn't sell my bike to go to a 10+ model as is.  It's just getting settled in at 45k.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2011, 06:09:03 AM »
How many miles on your 08? If you keep it you will have a salvage title and you won't get anything for it later. I would buy new, get the extras you want ABS traction control heated grips ETC. I usually buy a new bike every 3 years, the old one is still worth a fair amount (I sell it out right I do not trade it in) so it doesn't cost me a lot to stay on a new bike with a warranty.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2011, 06:42:21 AM »
Take the insurance money. I'll give you 2K for the wreck if it runs. :)