Author Topic: Saddlebag latches?  (Read 4509 times)

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
Saddlebag latches?
« on: September 02, 2011, 07:32:53 AM »
Wasn't there a topic on the old board about Kawasaki replacing the latches on the saddlebags? How do you know if you have a good one or one of the ones that was prone to breaking?

I am bringing the bike in tomorrow morning for a new rear tire and figured I could ask about it if I got the information ahead of time from here.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Saddlebag latches?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 07:42:08 AM »
The 08/09 bikes had a latch recall done.  If your bike is a 10 onward you don't need to worry about it other than they occasionally fly off on bumps like a depth charge.  Kawasaki won't acknowledge that problem, though.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 08:07:08 AM »
Mine is a 2009.  Are there any identifying marks on the new ones or any other way to tell if they are the new ones or not?
Scott
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 08:17:36 AM »
Mine is a 2009.  Are there any identifying marks on the new ones or any other way to tell if they are the new ones or not?

If you bought it used and don't know if recall work has been done, your dealer can run the VIN. Or used to be kawi web site you could pop the vin # in, or i may be thinking of honda lol
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 08:44:51 AM »

The prerecall latches are red and the new latches are orange.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 09:28:32 AM »
The prerecall latches are red and the new latches are orange.

Perfect. I have the new ones.

Thanks!
Scott

Offline Mad River Marc

• The Kipass shall inherit the earth
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 09:41:01 AM »
If you are truly concerned,  contact zsteve on thsi forum and get a set of his bag retainters....I have them and the bags cannot move when they are on :)

Offline jaclaw

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 11:51:54 AM »
..... or pin them in place;

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 11:57:13 AM »
If you are truly concerned,  contact zsteve on thsi forum and get a set of his bag retainters....I have them and the bags cannot move when they are on :)

+1

Its a Kawasaki, no secret we take measures to insure your bags don't fly off  ;D

There's a list of other gear that protects the bike too, over a grand or so worth but its outside the scope of this thread.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline AirplaneTim

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 12:03:57 PM »
If you don't want your bags to fly off, there's always this handy product available at your local hardware store:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 12:08:48 PM »
If you don't want your bags to fly off, there's always this handy product available at your local hardware store:

Works great on the exhaust header nuts too. Those babies ain't gonna loosen up now!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 12:18:23 PM »
Oh the measures we go through to keep our Kawi's from falling apart in the street  ;D

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 12:20:45 PM »

I already have those, but figured I should make sure the latch is strong as well.
Scott