Author Topic: Concours 14 vs Bmw K1600GTL (Teil zwei)  (Read 7697 times)

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
Concours 14 vs Bmw K1600GTL (Teil zwei)
« on: August 25, 2011, 04:34:00 AM »
I'm not CycleWorld but here is the situation: 2 weeks ago I did a 1800 miles trip from Munich, Germany, to Dubrovnik, Croatia on my 1400GTR, and had a blast. I did it alone, so no girlfriend hitting my ribs when exceeding... ahem... some speed (2 gentlemen in blue uniform in Slovenia were kind enough to let me go with just a warning ). I truly bonded with my bike; I had longer trips in the past but for some reason I enjoyed this one the most.
Anyway, my girlfriend decided for me that we need a holiday together, and we are doing a similar trip this weekend, this time 2-up, obviously, but with one twist: I managed to snatch a K1600 GTL for the trip, so although the conditions are not the same (it's a GTL, not a GT, and the ballast girlfriend will be there) I'll be doing pretty much half the trip on the same roads as last time, with the exception of the last leg of the trip, Zagreb-Dubrovnik, which I will replace with Zagreb-Budapest. Total mileage will be about 1300.
I'll try to pay attention to the few things that where discussed here and form an opinion. As I stated before, I think this bike is better suited for the kind of driving I'll be doing, that is, more relaxed and touring oriented and not so agressive. Will see.

EDIT: because of the red-on-white cross, tin-headed man (I don't want to say names, so nobody notices I'm talking about Jim), here is the new thread... I'm driving off in exactly 2 hours and 25 minutes, and will be back on Tuesday for the report.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 04:42:51 AM by VirginiaJim »
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: CycleWord Comparison of Concours 14 vs Bmw K1600GT (Teil zwei)
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 04:40:31 AM »
Tin headed?  I'll have you know my helmet is made of the finest of alloys... ;)   Oh, and since I don't speak German, I used Google translator (Teil zwei - Part two).  I also modified your subject line a bit...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
Re: CycleWord Comparison of Concours 14 vs Bmw K1600GT (Teil zwei)
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 06:14:42 AM »
I also modified your subject line a bit...

Thanks, I just now noticed that it would be missleading.
Anyway, little update. The GTL I've got is back in the garage and I took a GT instead. That should even the play field a bit with the C14 and make it a more meaningful comparisson. The GTL had the low seat option and I felt like I was dragging my butt there.  ???

44 minutes and counting...

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
Re: Concours 14 vs Bmw K1600GTL (Teil zwei)
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 08:42:17 AM »
Have fun, I know the roads over there would be awesome on a bike.  Bavaria is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been, I wish I was closer to Munchen this time of year because Oktoberfest is such a great time.  Ride safe and take lots of pics.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 09:43:42 AM »
Nice opportunity right there, have fun~!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Conhardcore

• 2011 Concours 14 Black
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 04:40:57 PM »
I'm not CycleWorld but here is the situation: 2 weeks ago I did a 1800 miles trip from Munich, Germany, to Dubrovnik, Croatia on my 1400GTR, and had a blast. I did it alone, so no girlfriend hitting my ribs when exceeding... ahem... some speed (2 gentlemen in blue uniform in Slovenia were kind enough to let me go with just a warning ). I truly bonded with my bike; I had longer trips in the past but for some reason I enjoyed this one the most.
Anyway, my girlfriend decided for me that we need a holiday together, and we are doing a similar trip this weekend, this time 2-up, obviously, but with one twist: I managed to snatch a K1600 GTL for the trip, so although the conditions are not the same (it's a GTL, not a GT, and the ballast girlfriend will be there) I'll be doing pretty much half the trip on the same roads as last time, with the exception of the last leg of the trip, Zagreb-Dubrovnik, which I will replace with Zagreb-Budapest. Total mileage will be about 1300.
I'll try to pay attention to the few things that where discussed here and form an opinion. As I stated before, I think this bike is better suited for the kind of driving I'll be doing, that is, more relaxed and touring oriented and not so agressive. Will see.

EDIT: because of the red-on-white cross, tin-headed man (I don't want to say names, so nobody notices I'm talking about Jim), here is the new thread... I'm driving off in exactly 2 hours and 25 minutes, and will be back on Tuesday for the report.

Does your Connie have any comfort mod's or are you running it stock?  Bar risers etc., for example.
Thanks

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 03:57:42 AM »
Does your Connie have any comfort mod's or are you running it stock?  Bar risers etc., for example.
Thanks

Not geometrical changes, but I do have seat and grip heaters.

Here are some things that I jotted down during the trip. I won’t talk about the obvious things like light tilt or seat heating or lack of engine vibrations… Two things have to be remembered: I never drove a Goldwing, and I really like my 1400GTR, which I used as a basis for my observations.

The K1600 GT resists leaning up to about 20° and then falls into the corner in a scary way if you’re not used to it.

The off-on throttle jerkiness doesn’t exist on the BMW. The e-throttle is a bit numb but works, and the 3 engine maps are very accomplished and distinctive.

Driving position is very comfortable. Knees are not as bent, and a lot of weight is taken from the wrists onto the back of the rider.

In neutral, the engine gains rpms like it’s on fire. It’s almost scary. If you miss a gear and thump the gas you can easily hit the rev limiter.

The rear brake does something very funny when you step on it, that I haven’t seen on the Kawasaki: it slows the bike down. Who knew?  ???

The suspension is more comfortable than the Kawa, but the damping is strange, hard, I’d say. In street cars, there is what’s called “primary ride” (the one dealing with large suspension travel, and taken care of by the spring and damper) and “secondary ride” (dealing with small, fast irregularities that are not deal with by suspension travel but by the bushings with which the suspension arms are attached to the vehicle). I’m not sure if it is always the case, but as far as I know motorcycles do not support suspension components with bushings, so secondary ride is a concept that does not apply. However, while the ESA on the BMW is a blessing for all the known reasons, the little irregularities on the road really affect comfort, much more so than on the (supposedly) stiffer Kawasaki. This became apparent as I was going through a fairly good stretch of road and getting some sort of buzz on the hands. Thing is, the engine is so smooth that what really gets through are road irregularities.

Heavy. And I mean weigh-that-is-always-there heavy. In the Kawa you feel the mass but for the main part it goes away as soon as you move. The BMW is a heavy object with a high CoG. Don’t forget it. It can be very expensive. In the K1600, low speed is a gamble.

Huge tank. I didn’t read anything about this bike up until now, but I just found out that the specs say that it has a 6.3 US gal fuel tank. That is nonsense, because after I rode 292 miles I put 6.9 US gallons and computer said I still had 12 miles to go. My old R1200 RT said 0 miles when there was still 30 miles worth of fuel in the tank. I received the bike supposedly 100% full of fuel, but even if I didn’t, in the worst case it managed 43 mpg fully loaded, with a mix of Autobahn (100 mph), Austrian highways (75 mph) and secondary Alpine roads (50 mph), with normal braking and accelerating.

Air management: the screen on this bike is located much more forward and up than on the Yamaha FJR or the Kawasaki. It isn’t larger, but the instrument panel is much higher, so the bottom of the screen is too, which allows it to reach higher and cover more. The upper part of the front fairing is doing the job that the screen should be doing otherwise. Since it can go so much up it doesn’t need a lip and the stream is therefore smooth and buffeting free. The screen mechanism is slow but it has a greater range than on the Kawaski (which I find rather annoyingly short). I never put it above the half, since I like looking over and not through it. Since there is so much Tupperware protecting up front, not much air will bother you, and when weather gets hotter (like it did on my trip) you can flip the scoops and get a surprising amount of air hitting you on the torso. Nice.

There is heat coming off the engine at ankle height, but bearable. With that powerplant between the legs, I’d call heat management “fantastic”. The fan cuts in much less often than on the Kawasaki.

Girlfriend found this motorcycle very comfortable (mee too), clearly more so than the Kawasaki (not so much for me), which she likes more than my old RT. I found the two glove boxes on the lower laterals of the fairing very practical, but still prefer the tank glove box on the Kawasaki, which would be great if I could lock it like in the BMW.

My conclusions:
This is a great bike, with the caveat that it isn’t exactly a bike. I mean, the thing is so big and heavy and has so much carrying capacity that I admire the fact that it stays upright on only two wheels. Thanks to whatever gods may be for the gyroscopic effect. I liken the K1600 GT (or GTL) with a 7 series. Yes, it can do curves, but that is a byproduct of a mighty engine and a very accomplished chassis, and you’ll soon notice it’s not made for that. It’s made to take you from A to B in comfort and style. You’ll get to your 4 or 5 stars booked hotel, park it and enjoy the city you’re visiting on foot. Mountain passes are not its thing. It’s not a drive-for-fun bike. I never drove a Goldwing, but I can’t fathom why somebody would buy one instead of this BMW.
The Kawasaki C14/1400GTR is a much more versatile bike. You get to your destination in probably 90% of the comfort (not your passenger, agreed), leave the ballast, and go enjoy the curves. You won’t be getting the locals in their KTM Duke or S1000RR into trouble, but you’ll enjoy. It handles better, has more feedback (from chassis, suspension, steering and engine) and on top, it costs way less.
Comparing these two excellent bikes is not for somebody who is comparing two sport tourers like, say, the FJR and the Kawasaki. It’s for somebody you doesn’t know what he wants the bike for. If you’re touring 2 up and do not plan on technical roads, this is it. It’s much more appropriate than the C14. But if you enjoy riding and getting involved with the bike, and want to travel with it, then the Kawasaki, nowadays, is the best option. And if you want to deliver pizzas, then…  :o
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 05:10:10 AM by martin_14 »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 04:03:12 AM »
Thank you, Martin.  That's a very good report.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 05:40:44 AM »
I found the two glove boxes on the lower laterals of the fairing very practical, but still prefer the tank glove box on the Kawasaki, which would be great if I could lock it like in the BMW.

Oops- sounds like a non-current Concours comparison to a current K1600....  my Concours does have a locking glovebox.  Not very large, however.  I will also point out that the 2011 c14 has linked brakes and will "stop" by pressing the rear, just like the BMW....  plus it has a taller windshield without much lip so no buffeting (at least mine doesn't)

Anyway, excellent information.  Thanks for sharing!!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 06:21:54 AM by maxtog »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 05:58:29 AM »
You made an interesting comment that I have made over on the Goldwing forum more than once.  My comment over there is that the BMW is more of a 750 (car) whereas the Goldwing is more of a Cadillac DTS (I know you don't have many of them in Europe - and for good reason!).
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline jsa

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 08:36:56 AM »
Nice writeup!  It sounds like you came to about the same conclusion that I did, the K1600 is a great touring bike, but its not a sport-touring bike. 

Offline alexx45

• 2009 Black C14
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 03:39:10 PM »
Great write up. Even better to know I'm still riding the best true Sport Touring bike on the Planet.  8)
Life is good.... At least from my perspective.
2009 Concours 14
2005 Suzuki Bandit

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 01:24:59 AM »
Perhaps a little update on my "review". I had a GTL to drive last week for one day, then I took the GT for my 1100 miles 2-up trip during the weekend, and the day before yesterday I tried another GT for one more day. All in all, I put next to 1500 miles on the three bikes and had my 1400GTR parked at work during that time. Finally, yesterday at 4 pm I managed to fire her up, and what a nice bike!!! I really, really like this bike!
I was somehow weary that after driving a 6-cyl I would not find the Kawasaki so appealing anymore, or something like that. NO WAY! This is a very smooth bike, that can more than hold a candle next the to the big beemer. And talking about big, the Kawa now feels flickable, light and quick of reactions. It's maneuverability at low speed is excellent, as it is its driving position just between a sports and a touring bike. Kudos to Kawasaki.  :chugbeer:

One thing that I noticed is how silent the Kawasaki is at low gas openings. I have a Remus Hexacone Titanium on my bike, which is clearly louder than the stock. Not much louder, just clearly louder, and deeper. But the heavy metal music starts only when you wack the throttle. The beemer's sound (very nice exhaust note and engine noise, by the way) is always there, but I found the whining from the geartrain irritating.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 12:08:23 PM by martin_14 »

Offline ninjawarrior1400

• "There is no second place winner in a gunfight."
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 09:20:00 AM »
I think the BMW 1600 is going to wind up being like a high performance touring Goldwing type bike...the Sport Touring capabilities of the C-14 are in a class of their own.....it just seems to be getting better each year!

Have ridden them all the C-14 outclasses everything!

Ninja
Ninjawarrior

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 10:13:49 AM »
Martin, thank you for the excellent review. While I have no plans in the foreseeable future to replace my C14 I am very interested in this comparison.

Offline Ninjadad

• Crack Throttle and Roll
    • 2Wheel4Fun.com
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2011, 12:40:54 PM »
Awesome report Martin, I was seriously considering the GTL because my wife "Says" she will ride this year. If that's the case I'll mod up my GTR-14 with a top case.

If she seriously wants more comfort then I'll break down and let her by me the GTL-1600. Not much use for two bikes but I'll do it if it makes her happy  ;D ;D
WWW.2WHEEL4FUN.COM

The Journey is in the ride not the destination.