Author Topic: Can someone please tell/show........  (Read 4200 times)

Offline sas mayhem

Can someone please tell/show........
« on: August 23, 2011, 07:36:01 AM »
me where I can tap into the horn wire harness so I can hook up my Nautilus horn????  And for the love of God don't tell me I need to remove the windshield, side pockets,cluster gas tank and find a Monk to do this.....

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
Re: Can someone please tell/show........
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 09:18:44 AM »
OK.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline coffee_brake

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 10:52:09 AM »
Well, if the horns are under the front fairing, and the harness is right behind them...sorry.

If you don't mind a bulky splice you could go into the button wire on the left bar, but that still leaves you with removing the stockers...under the front fairing....

C'mon, it's not that bad really, and it gives you a chance to do a really good cleaning in that area, inspect the main fairing stay, install some bling marker lights where the reflectors are....honestly, I had the front completely apart for paint in less than two hours, and I'm about the slowest person on earth in the garage.
2005 Concours, toothpaste blue
1986 VFR700
1999 Bandit 1200

Offline Tele130

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 01:20:58 PM »
Well, if the horns are under the front fairing, and the harness is right behind them...sorry.

If you don't mind a bulky splice you could go into the button wire on the left bar, but that still leaves you with removing the stockers...under the front fairing....

C'mon, it's not that bad really, and it gives you a chance to do a really good cleaning in that area, inspect the main fairing stay, install some bling marker lights where the reflectors are....honestly, I had the front completely apart for paint in less than two hours, and I'm about the slowest person on earth in the garage.

You don't have a refrigerator in there do you? ;D
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 06:23:15 AM »
I'm not sure which models you have, but I actually mounted a set of nautilus horns and stock horns in the area where the stock horns go. You need need to remove all the fairing innards to access it, but you can mount the nautilus' on the stock horn mounts, then use the universal bracket bent like a "z" and mounted to the instrument panel bolt to mount the stock horns. Nice and clean, and pretty loud! Steve

Offline 2001concours

• 2001concours website
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 03:57:51 PM »
I mounted mine to the tip over bars.   :)
2001 Concours with 90k miles, heavily modified.
Lots of how to images on my webshots folders
http://community.webshots.com/user/2001concours

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 07:15:03 PM »
Mounting it is NOt the issue my friends. The issue is my lack of knowledge when it com to wiring.  LOL 
 Please my fellow Conk's be understanding.  Okay I have the access to the OEM horns and have them disconnected.  When I ordered the Nautilus horn I also opted for the relay pre wiring kit, which I "THINK" is wired the traditional way for use of the horns.... So question 1) do I need to swap the wires around on the relay?    2) do I have to tie the two OE wires coming off the OE horn together for it to work? and which one is the ground wire? The back of the relay has the numbers 86,84 and so on if some one could please tell me which goes where I"ll owe you a 12pack. And from what I have been informed that the horn switch switches a GROUND signal to the horns.....  I don't do electronics, LOL

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline Freightshakertech

• 2000 Connie
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 11:53:34 PM »
 :)  I'll try to help.  There are different types of relays you will find, but most used will be (5) terminals.  They are numbered: 30, 87, 87a, 85 and 86.  You can set it up a number of ways but generally battery power is 30, and when energized power flows through to 87.  When not energized, power dead heads at terminal 30.  Terminals 85 and 86 are for the coil that moves the contact when powered up.  You can power up the coil either way, 85 power and 86 ground or 85 ground and 86 power.  When you do this you can provide power to any appliance and not damage the switch which turns it on, in this case the horn.  When you press your horn button you provide a ground for the coil and this completes the circuit to energize the coil which in turn allows power from the battery (terminal 30) to any appliance (horn-light etc) through terminal 87.  Hope this helps.  I tried to attach a schematic of a relay but it was too big of a file.  Let me know if you are still having trouble and I'll try harder to get one for you. David  8)

Offline anycleavers

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 08:34:58 AM »
David, thanks, I kind of get it now. I never knew exactly what a relay was/did.  :thumbs:
"Always take the long way home."

Offline timmerz

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 12:22:24 PM »
Kind of unbelieveable to me that someone would want to upgrade the stock Concours horn...talk about a teeth-setting-on-edge sound....that horn is the only sound I've ever known that will clear a flock of wild turkeys out of your path with a mad scramble...none of my auto horns can make that claim!

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 01:00:19 PM »
Kind of unbelieveable to me that someone would want to upgrade the stock Concours horn...talk about a teeth-setting-on-edge sound....that horn is the only sound I've ever known that will clear a flock of wild turkeys out of your path with a mad scramble...none of my auto horns can make that claim!

While the horns are nicely discordant, they aren't very loud.  That's the reason most people upgrade.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157