Author Topic: Wobble  (Read 6568 times)

Offline curly

Wobble
« on: August 20, 2011, 12:09:39 PM »
Between 45-50mph when I let go of the bars I have a terrible handlebar wobble. Hands back on the bars no wobble no shimmy, nothing. Bike handles great otherwise. I know the obvious answer is don't take my hands off the bars.

Tire pressure is spot on. Stem head bearings have no free play and wheel bearings appear normal. Suspension is set to normal parameters for my weight. Front tire has 3500 miles and plenty of tread left with no signs of cupping.

Any ideas?
Confidence is the feeling you have before you realize the full measure of the situation.

'09 in Black.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Wobble
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 12:16:05 PM »
Steering stem bearings.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 01:07:14 PM »
Change the front tire and it'll go away.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline JhVenezuela

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 02:10:42 PM »
Change the front tire and it'll go away.

+1  I had the same problem year ago

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 03:38:07 PM »
Your front tire is cupped, it may not be visible but it is cupped enough to cause the wobble. All front tires cup, the degree depends on the tread (and riding style). FWIW, in my 40 years experience the one tire most resistant to cupping is the original Michelin Pilot Road. Unfortunately they seem to be getting hard to find.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline jailcop

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 05:02:08 PM »
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=3037.0

Just went through the same thing with a brand new tire. Although the WOBBLE is now gone with the new tire something still feels odd.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 06:44:32 PM »
+3, front tire cupped.

these bikes are so behemoth HEAVY one should be able to take the steering stem off the bike and be ok
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline curly

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 07:28:56 PM »
Ok, the front tire is a distinct possibility because I'm running a D220 which was probably not designed for such a heavy bike. Also, socaljoe mentioned the rear tire and yes it is toast, I'm replacing it next weekend.

I just don't see the stem bearings being worn at 9k but I guess it's possible. The main thing is this is ok as long as it doesn't turn into a hands on high speed wobble correct?
Confidence is the feeling you have before you realize the full measure of the situation.

'09 in Black.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 07:53:23 PM »
I'm by no means an expert so this is just my opinion. I don't feel comfortable with any wobble. It indicates a problem that could be catastrophic, even at 45-50. The steering stem bearings don't have to be worn, only loose. If you accelerate at moderate rate up to 45-50mph and snap the throttle closed with your hands hovering around the grips and a wobble is induced, I was taught long ago that bearings whether worn or loose are probably the culprit. This is a safety issue so to me it is not ok. Run it down. You'll feel better about it.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 09:22:09 PM »
This is how I check my front end stability. I engage my $20 throttle lock and ride with no hands. If I can ride a mile with no hands I figure all is well. And I can.

When you are decelerating you are feeding various unsettling forces into the front end, including more weight on that cupped tire and you should not expect it to remain stable.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 09:31:50 AM »
Ok, the front tire is a distinct possibility because I'm running a D220 which was probably not designed for such a heavy bike. Also, socaljoe mentioned the rear tire and yes it is toast, I'm replacing it next weekend.

I just don't see the stem bearings being worn at 9k but I guess it's possible. The main thing is this is ok as long as it doesn't turn into a hands on high speed wobble correct?

Yea I ran a pair or Pilot Power sport bike tires i had in the garage on my C14, they were soft so they cupped in no time. I still wore them all the way out anyway, which was about 3000 miles.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 09:33:39 AM »
I will bet that most front end issues are almost all due to the front tire, I still cant believe how this bike "eats" front tires! >:(
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2011, 11:02:42 AM »
My PR2s did pretty well in that regard and also the PR3s seem to handling and wearing nicely. 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline lolife

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2011, 11:24:03 AM »
I will bet that most front end issues are almost all due to the front tire, I still cant believe how this bike "eats" front tires! >:(

+1

I thought I'd be able to get 2 front tires to one rear on this bike...I was wrong.  My PR3s have just over 7000 miles on them now & my rear is down to the wear bars & my front is almost there.  I will be buying both front & rear at the same time.

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2011, 06:24:09 PM »
Don't ignore any of the following:

Wear / play of stem bearings AND cups/races.

Front tire (wear and air pressure).

Front forks, although if I remember the bushings are non-serviceable.

Front wheel bearings.

Fork fluid levels/condition.

I had a minor occillation on my 08 when I got it.  Several front tires, new stem bearings and wheel bearings and it was good to go.  Also did the fork service.

That said, it is probably the front tire.

YMMV,
Barry
Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap... Avoid it now, do a trackday.

Area P full exhaust, PC-V, Autotune, filter, flys out.