Author Topic: How much does a connie weigh?  (Read 3845 times)

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
How much does a connie weigh?
« on: August 16, 2011, 08:57:40 PM »
With empty cases, full gas?  I bought a bus that's converted to an RV.  My plan is to buy one of those receiver mounted motorcycle carriers and ship it to the address of the bus so it will be waiting for me, then ride out and drive the bus back.  I found a carrier rated to 600lbs, and I'm hoping that's enough to work.
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
Re: How much does a connie weigh?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 09:01:22 PM »
Nope; she tips that scale......

595 Bone Dry....

680 With All Fluids On Board.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 11:07:52 PM »
That puts mine around 750 Lbs with all the stuff I pack in my bags and trunk.  No wonder it's such a pain to get upright when it tips over!
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 11:22:14 PM »
Don't forget to add in what you "normally" carry that's sort of like your fixed load. 

+ Farkles

+ junk inna trunk

+ your tool kit

+ mouse turds under the seat

+ road crud under the engine and swing arm, etc.

A couple of years ago I stopped at the county certified scales at the transfer station and weighed my 2003 Connie with 1/2 tank fuel and the above stuff and myself (I was right at 200 lbs then with ATGATT, about 185 nekkid) and we came in at 920.  All those little things add up.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 02:36:59 AM »
I weighed Otto (C10) in at just over the half ton.
With me, full tank, full sidebags, trunk, tankbag and tent on the back seat we totaled 509Kg (1122lbs).
The guy at the weighbridge said he sees Goldwings quite often but rarely sees any other bikes.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Cavosie

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 12:36:08 PM »
When the bike is standing still, and at an unwise lean angle, it weighs approximately 10 tons.  Trust me on this; I know.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 02:30:43 PM »
When the bike is standing still, and at an unwise lean angle, it weighs approximately 10 tons.  Trust me on this; I know.
This is true.  The weight is proportional to its lean angle, she starts gaining weight rapidly at anything lower than 79 degrees of lean :'(
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 09:39:55 PM »

Very true, and here's the science behind it:

Motorcycles don't obey normal laws of mass and inertia.  Einstein (or was it Frank N. Stein) said that mass increases with the square of the velocity, but we all know that the faster a Connie goes, the lighter it seems.   Now, if acted upon by the relative anti-magnetic fields of an inverted non-Euclidian gamma-factored universe, we can readily see that a Concours at rest, with lean-induced quasi-inertial gravitic attraction (not canceled by spendicular thermofaction) can easily obtain infinite mass. 

And THAT is why you need tip-over bars.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 06:42:47 AM »
Can we get a "Like" button on the forum?
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 02:17:56 PM »
I do have crash bars, and they have paid for themselves in yards and parking lots about twice over already.

I also found an inexpensive 1000lb motorcycle carrier for the bus, that hopefully isn't cheap.  We will see.

In completely unrelated news, the wife and I are preparing to get rid of the albatross known as a house and full time in an RV.  Two weeks until I pick it up, I'm excited!
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 06:48:40 PM »
I hope the C10s don't weight as much as my C14. It weighs more than a dump truck full of lead.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline roadrunner322

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 07:09:43 PM »
My manual says 597lbs. dry.  Gasoline weighs almost exactly 6 lbs. per gallon, so a full tank adds 45lbs.  Add oil, coolant, lube,etc.
Currently Own
1985 Kawasaki ZN700