Author Topic: Bridgestone Battlax BT-020 tires  (Read 6447 times)

Offline tbunder

Bridgestone Battlax BT-020 tires
« on: August 11, 2011, 12:51:47 PM »
I will be in need of some new tires soon. It seems there aren't many choices for the C10. I do a lot of slab and don't do sport riding so wear is more important to me.  Right now I have the oem's on as the PO re-installed them. They are fine tires but I would like something a little more exciting than oem Dunlops. I know Avon makes good tires that will fit the C10 but they seem more for grip and less for longevity and mileage wear. Has anyone tried the BT-020 Bridgestones? They have good reviews at motorcycle superstore. Also, are the Dunlop D202 sport radial's still available? I want to stick with the correct sizes as well. Thank you.

Offline TjTexasJack

Re: Bridgestone Battlax BT-020 tires
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 12:58:45 PM »
Don't have the 020, But recently (800 miles?) put on the Bridgestone Battlex BT-45 and like alot much improvment over the OEM Dunslop I had before.

Here's a linky to tires.

http://web.newsguy.com/vrooomm/Connie/connie-tires.htm

Ride safe, Keep sharp.
Tj

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 01:53:47 PM »
You might want to check available sizes. I don't think they make this tire in sizes to fit the C-10.
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 02:11:10 PM »
According to my reading, the tires that give the best mileage at the expense of handling are Dunlop Elite III and Metzeler ME880. Haven't tried either myself.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline mr t

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 06:55:19 PM »
tbunder- I'm on my third set of Dunlop E3 tires on my 06 C10. The first set went 21.5K. The second set went 20.5K. I've been happy with the way the bike handles although I'm just an average rider.

Tom Taylor COG#7173

Offline midnightrider

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 09:07:38 AM »
I had a BT-020 on front once. It was a great tire until near the end of its life, when the good handling I liked seemed to go away.
2004 C10 RIP

Offline tbunder

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 12:34:12 PM »
looks like the only tires available in radial form and in true oem sizes is the dunlops, avons and bridgestones. the chart provided is outdated and many of those tires not crossed out are no longer available.
looks like the BT-020 is probably the best tire for the concours right now if you want mileage and handling. the avon is an option but from what I've read, it's soft and squirrely and wears out quickly. thanks for the replies guys.

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 04:35:15 PM »
I'm about as happy as I have ever been with a new pair of Avons.
A Roadrider front 110/80 and a AV46 Azaro rear 150/80.
 Outstanding stick, and now with 3k and no visible wear yet. And I got a pretty good price on the pair @ www.ironpony.com.
Just my 2 cents for ya.
Ride safe all.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline tbunder

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 09:00:44 PM »
thanks. but I want to stick with stock sizes and that tire you mention is pushing $200. The Bridgestones can be had for around that for the pair. From what I've read, the Avons wear out rather quickly compared to the oem dunlops or the Bridgestone BT-020 because they are softer rubber.

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 09:15:56 PM »
It depends on which Avons you are talking about.  I've mounted an AM42 Venom on the rear of my bike, and it currently looks basically new with about 8000 miles on it.  I would expect at least 15K out of this tire, and others have noted similarly high mileage.

Once I mounted my taller windscreen back on, I find that the Venom rear grips very decently.  Apparently I use the taller windscreen to judge my lean angle, and am more confident cornering more aggressively with my current setup, but that's another topic...

As soon as my Pilot GT front wears out (around 20K), I may try the Venom front.  Most here run with the Azaro on the front with the Venom on the rear, so I don't know if the AM41 Venom is a good tire or just adequate, hence the preference for the Azaro.
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 01:54:15 PM »
As soon as my Pilot GT front wears out (around 20K), I may try the Venom front.  Most here run with the Azaro on the front with the Venom on the rear, so I don't know if the AM41 Venom is a good tire or just adequate, hence the preference for the Azaro.

Avon has not made an Azaro in the sizes for the C-10 front for several years. The Avon of choice right now is the Storm II Ultra. It's the finest front tire I've ever run on the bike, good mileage, great feel, precise steering, and on my scoot very stable. I run the 110/80/18 size on my 2006 and have been more than pleased with the tire.
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 05:31:58 PM »
Avon has not made an Azaro in the sizes for the C-10 front for several years. The Avon of choice right now is the Storm II Ultra. It's the finest front tire I've ever run on the bike, good mileage, great feel, precise steering, and on my scoot very stable. I run the 110/80/18 size on my 2006 and have been more than pleased with the tire.

Sorry, I had the Azaro and Storm crossed.  I remember the Azaro/Storm combo being spoken about a lot on this board.

My Pilot GT is of course 130/70-18, aka Goldwing size.  The bike feels much more stable with this tire, especially in dirty air around big rigs.  Looking at the tread pattern on the AM41 Venom, though, that centerline intermittent groove bothers me...

Looking at Avon's site, the Storm II also comes in 120/70-18 as well apparently, which is closer to the size I'm running currently.
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline tbunder

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 01:17:15 AM »
I will consider the avon azaro 150/80 rear and storm 2 120/70 for the front. I don't really like that they do not match in pattern though. but I do find that the constant center line on the oem dunlops does hunt for road cracks which can be a bit spooky at times. the bt-020 bridgestone has them as well.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 04:38:55 AM »
TB you might want to consider looking at least one more option here. I read where you would like to stay within the stock sizes so I'm taking that to read you don't want the "Plus One" GoldWing sizes and I'll work from there. The Avon Venom is a very good tire that is both long lived and gives great hook up and traction and you can get that tire for the rear in a stock 150/80-16 size; it is a Bias tire but trust me you will never know the difference. As to the front tire PLEASE consider the 110/80-18 size and again I'll state trust me that it will fit the front end like it was made to fit; and that is because it was made to fit as the stock Dunlop that the Concours was delivered with was specially sized and is not really a 120/70 as it is claimed to be. The 110/80 will fit the 3.0" rim with a nice broad round softball profile that will make the bike handle more gently/calmly in the corners; whereas the 120/70 on the 3.0" rim is pinched and pointy. If you will consider the 110/80 it opens up your choices quite a bit as you don't NEED matching thread patterns you only need patterns that compliment each other. My only comment is to never use a "sportier" tire in the rear than you used in the front and you will be quite the happy camper. So I'm saying to look at an AVON VENOM Bias in stock size in the rear and even an AVON STORM Radial in 110/80 for the front. I've not tried this exact combo but Don Ricks who only owns a bike has tried it and liked it and he is very fussy.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2011, 04:47:38 AM »
TB you might want to consider looking at least one more option here. I read where you would like to stay within the stock sizes so I'm taking that to read you don't want the "Plus One" GoldWing sizes and I'll work from there. The Avon Venom is a very good tire that is both long lived and gives great hook up and traction and you can get that tire for the rear in a stock 150/80-16 size; it is a Bias tire but trust me you will never know the difference. As to the front tire PLEASE consider the 110/80-18 size and again I'll state trust me that it will fit the front end like it was made to fit; and that is because it was made to fit as the stock Dunlop that the Concours was delivered with was specially sized and is not really a 120/70 as it is claimed to be. The 110/80 will fit the 3.0" rim with a nice broad round softball profile that will make the bike handle more gently/calmly in the corners; whereas the 120/70 on the 3.0" rim is pinched and pointy. If you will consider the 110/80 it opens up your choices quite a bit as you don't NEED matching thread patterns you only need patterns that compliment each other. My only comment is to never use a "sportier" tire in the rear than you used in the front and you will be quite the happy camper. So I'm saying to look at an AVON VENOM Bias in stock size in the rear and even an AVON STORM Radial in 110/80 for the front. I've not tried this exact combo but Don Ricks who only owns a bike has tried it and liked it and he is very fussy.

And/or consider the 110/80 Avon Roadrider as it's a fine tire too. I pinky swear!
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2011, 11:22:33 AM »
I'll inject something here. I have about 5k mi on a 110/80zr18 PR3. It handles wonderfully, plus very stable in slab/wind/big truck environments. Looks like it will go 12-14k mi. Also, comes with factory siping to help with wet stuff, dual compound, fresh technology. It's my new tire of choice.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 06:21:41 AM »
I'll inject something here. I have about 5k mi on a 110/80zr18 PR3. It handles wonderfully, plus very stable in slab/wind/big truck environments. Looks like it will go 12-14k mi. Also, comes with factory siping to help with wet stuff, dual compound, fresh technology. It's my new tire of choice.

I can't believe these PR3s perform regarding both sticking/handling and longetivity
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine