Author Topic: jump starting the bike  (Read 9225 times)

Offline speed545

jump starting the bike
« on: August 01, 2011, 07:56:31 AM »
hey guys

i m stuck in Front Royal and battery is dead. How can i jump start this bike

08, Concours 14
Montreal Fire Dept

Offline stewart

Re: jump starting the bike
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 08:06:00 AM »
I was able to jump start mine last year will the help of a push and a small inline. I used 1st or 2nd ( don't recall), but the key I think was my battery wasn't completely dead, I could turn on my ignition.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 08:41:24 AM »
Well, for one you'll need battery jump cables.  You'll need to remove the panel covering the battery.  Hopefully you'll have the tools to do so.  Once the battery is exposed (assuming it's installed properly), the positive terminal should be facing you (verify this first, please).  You can connect to that and to the frame mount for the negative side.  Have the jumper car not running when your ready to try to start it.

I'd come out there but you're a good two hours away from me.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 08:43:13 AM »
If you have to jump it do it as you would an automobile, at the battery. A car can be used as it is 12 V. just dont run the starter for prolonged periods. As far as push starting it a higher gear may make it easier, say 3 rd. or 4 th.
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline stewart

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 09:12:07 AM »
small correction when I said inline, I meant incline.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 10:51:29 AM »
Well, for one you'll need battery jump cables.  You'll need to remove the panel covering the battery.  Hopefully you'll have the tools to do so.  Once the battery is exposed (assuming it's installed properly), the positive terminal should be facing you (verify this first, please).  You can connect to that and to the frame mount for the negative side.  Have the jumper car not running when your ready to try to start it.

I'd come out there but you're a good two hours away from me.

What he said. What I did when I left the key in the "On" position for a few hours. Hardest part was finding the strength to loosen the allen head bolts the gorilla at the factory installed!

Offline fmwhit

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 10:59:30 AM »
If you decide to try bump starting the bike remember that the battery needs to be capable of at least putting out enough current to operate the fuel pump as the bike is fuel injected and some of the other electronics on the bike such as the ki-pass.

As far as jump starting the bike just remove the battery panels and carefully hook up the cables, remember the connections are alot smaller that an automobile.  I prefer to use a jumper pack if one is available.

Good Luck,
Fred

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 11:24:51 AM »
Also, since no one stated this clearly, the battery cover is the small right side panel about where your knee is if you are sitting on the bike with your foot on the footpeg.  As I recall, you need a 6mm Allen wrench to remove the single bolt holding it on.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline JetJock

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 04:09:32 PM »
Also, since no one stated this clearly, the battery cover is the small right side panel about where your knee is if you are sitting on the bike with your foot on the footpeg.  As I recall, you need a 6mm Allen wrench to remove the single bolt holding it on.

You recall wrong. There are two covers, an outer one and then the real battery cover.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 04:53:46 PM »
Yep, you gotta take the upper plastic one off first.  Then you can remove the metal one...

Of course, while we're all debating this, what happened to the OP?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 05:37:27 PM »
That is correct but just to flesh out the answer a bit- the battery compartment is covered by the battery compartment cover or hatch. That is an aluminum casting and is held in place by four screws and appears to be a structural part of the frame. On top of that hatch is a small part of the fairing (painted the same color as the bike), held in by one screw and a push pin. To access the battery, the fairing cover must be removed and then the actual battery hatch must also be removed.

Brian

You recall wrong. There are two covers, an outer one and then the real battery cover.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline speed545

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 06:04:15 PM »
thx guys.

the battery was completely dead. Hotel staff didnt want to provide cable an a car battery since they were afraid of me broken something and get them after. Dont know ???

I was able to reach the battery with no difficulty buy lack of cable got me. >:(

Anyhow, i used my road side assistance insurance and got the bike towed to the winchester kawa dealer. He wanted to recharge the battery but since i just began my trip (11 days left) , battery is 4 year old, what the heck, i bought a new one.

They were very nice to me. Took the bike in immediatly during lunch time.

Thx Virginiajim for youir thoughs about coming

I m now resting in Roanoke. Well deserve
08, Concours 14
Montreal Fire Dept

Offline C1xRider

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 08:50:45 PM »

Not surprised, I've only looked in there once, and it was months ago.  I thought you could get to the positive terminal without removing the metal cover, but again, I don't remember.

The main point of my post was to tell him where to start looking for the battery.  If you've never looked for it, and don't know where it is, a hint at where to start is a good thing.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2011, 09:27:29 PM »
Not surprised, I've only looked in there once, and it was months ago.  I thought you could get to the positive terminal without removing the metal cover, but again, I don't remember.

I believe you are correct that it is possible, but very difficult because of the red rubber bootie.  So difficult that it really is not quite possible :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2011, 11:20:58 PM »
thx guys.

the battery was completely dead. Hotel staff didnt want to provide cable an a car battery since they were afraid of me broken something and get them after. Dont know ???

I was able to reach the battery with no difficulty buy lack of cable got me. >:(

Anyhow, i used my road side assistance insurance and got the bike towed to the winchester kawa dealer. He wanted to recharge the battery but since i just began my trip (11 days left) , battery is 4 year old, what the heck, i bought a new one.

They were very nice to me. Took the bike in immediatly during lunch time.

Thx Virginiajim for youir thoughs about coming

I m now resting in Roanoke. Well deserve

Glad you're OK now
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline C1xRider

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2011, 01:48:38 PM »
OK, for the record, I was curious and had a few minutes to spare this morning (a rare thing) ...

On the 2010, you do not need to remove the inner metal cover that holds the battery in place.  Also you do not need to remove the plastic push pin / rivet.  The bolt holding the outer plastic cover in place requires a 5mm Allen wrench, not 6mm as I thought, and is the only bolt you need to remove.

If you look at the pictures below, you will see there is a cut out in the left vertical side plastic guard, that provides just enough room to connect a jumper cable to to the metal part of the cable.  You simply push the red rubber boot down the cable out of the way.

You do want to be very careful, so you don't short the jumper cable to the metal surroundings, but there is enough room, and the metal has a real nice coating of non-conductive paint.  Perhaps the 08/09 bikes are different, so if they are, someone else can chime in for them.

Also, if you ever find yourself stranded, and needing a jump, try calling a Taxi.  My buddy and I were stuck in downtown Tacoma once with a dead battery (another story), and he called a Taxi to swing by and give us a jump start.  I think they charged him $10 (or less), and it only took them a few minutes to get there.

Offline JetJock

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2011, 03:59:23 PM »
Nice, didn't know about the little cutout access port. Obviously designed that way.

When I killed the battery on my 2010 I took both covers off just to be sure what I was dealing with, since it was the first time diving into those depths.

And with regards to jump-starting, good bike shops have 6-ft jumper cables that take up little room and can save your uncharged-ass in situations like this.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2011, 04:24:53 PM »
you do not need to remove the inner metal cover that holds the battery in place.  Also you do not need to remove the plastic push pin / rivet.  [...] you will see there is a cut out in the left vertical side plastic guard, that provides just enough room to connect a jumper cable to to the metal part of the cable.  You simply push the red rubber boot down the cable out of the way.

That is kinda what I said in my posting already. that it is possible but difficult (I guess I should have added "possibly dangerous"!)

Thanks for the pics!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2011, 06:52:14 PM »

Also, if you ever find yourself stranded, and needing a jump, try calling a Taxi.  My buddy and I were stuck in downtown Tacoma once with a dead battery (another story), and he called a Taxi to swing by and give us a jump start.  I think they charged him $10 (or less), and it only took them a few minutes to get there.

Good tip, never thought about that option...  :thumbs: