Author Topic: Weird bike psychology. Followup on the Avon Venom rear.  (Read 2123 times)

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
Weird bike psychology. Followup on the Avon Venom rear.
« on: July 31, 2011, 12:55:32 PM »
Hey y'all!

I've been running with a Pilot GT on the Front and a Venom on the rear since April, with about 6600 miles on the current combo.  In my previous posts, some of you may remember me saying that I was a little more uncomfortable in the corners due to my accident earlier this year, and also due to the fact that the bike leans/corners/swerves easier than the Pilot GT rear did, and gave me less feedback.

I cracked my Cee Bailey in January, and thus remounted my stock Concours windscreen, which I had cut down just below the lip.  I recently repaired my 24.5" Cee Bailey to good effect, and have remounted it on the bike.

With the current setup and stock, shorter windscreen, whenever I would lean into a corner, I was always nervous in the corners.  I wasn't really getting the feedback I expected from the bike through the suspension, as the GT rear required more force on the handlebars.  Well, now that I have the Cee Bailey back on, this feeling has completely disappeared.  I can now throw the bike over with confidence, and the only thing I've done is put a taller windscreen back on.

My theory on this is that I am getting a visual frame of reference r.e. my lean angle from the taller windscreen, and thus feel more confident and secure when cornering.  Has anyone else experienced this?

Anyways, with the current setup, I am now cornering with the Venom rear more tightly, and at higher speeds.  It now feels very secure to me.  Go figure!
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline Centex

• Arena
    • Central Motorcycle Roadracing Association
Re: Weird bike psychology. Followup on the Avon Venom rear.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 01:42:59 PM »
Weird bike psychology

Let's make that "Weird rider psychology" (emphasis on the word of your choice) and I think you've got it

:rotflmao:

(keep it light ... you set yourself up for that  ;) )
Alan in Central Texas
2004 Connie COG 9476
2001 Ducati M750

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
Re: Weird bike psychology. Followup on the Avon Venom rear.
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 03:22:20 PM »
My theory on this is that I am getting a visual frame of reference r.e. my lean angle from the taller windscreen, and thus feel more confident and secure when cornering.  Has anyone else experienced this?

There's nothing that weird about it.  I've noticed it going from a full fairing bike to a bike without a fairing.  (OK, maybe there is something weird about it.  I've been called weird before)  And, come to think about it, when I had my CB750F with a Windjammer, I didn't notice it.  Switching between that and the Conc there wasn't a huge 'different bike' feeling.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157