Author Topic: CycleWord Comparison of Concours 14 vs Bmw K1600GT  (Read 53840 times)

Offline ZG

• Arena
Re: CycleWord Comparison of Concours 14 vs Bmw K1600GT
« Reply #100 on: August 08, 2011, 08:27:36 PM »

Pussy thread for sure now...

Offline koval68

« Reply #101 on: August 08, 2011, 09:16:23 PM »

Pussy thread for sure now...
The Best Of Both"Worlds":
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #102 on: August 08, 2011, 09:21:00 PM »
The Best Of Both"Worlds":

:o   :thumbs: :hail:

That would make even somebody from Cincinnati root for the Bengals Tom...  ;D

Flathead

« Reply #103 on: August 08, 2011, 09:25:01 PM »

:o   :thumbs: :hail:

That would make even somebody from Cincinnati root for the Bengals Tom...  ;D
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Jaxter

• Blue might not be fastest, but it's my favorite
« Reply #104 on: August 08, 2011, 10:19:08 PM »
Well I've never owned a German bike but have owned many German cars...

The quality, comfort features, and attention to detail on German cars is WAY better then Japanese cars IMO! Apples and oranges I know, but if their bike building is anything like their car building I'm sure they don't suck...

I would have to disagree just a little...The reason that Lexus is the benchmark that all of the German cars are compared to is simple...they DO pay attention to details and have the highest rated "Fit & Finish" in the industry...Oh Yeah...Lexus is a Japanese company
I've Never Had A Better Day

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #105 on: August 08, 2011, 10:43:24 PM »
Lexus??

I'm just glad that we can keep threadjacking this thread until Jim moves it to the open forum or closes it, I'm tired of hearing about Beemer bikes on a Connie forum...  :loco:

If I want to read about em I'll go to the beemer forum.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #106 on: August 08, 2011, 10:51:24 PM »
I hear our commander in chief has bought one of these as a gift to a japanese prime minister.  Making good use of his "Stash" ;)  BMW  Broke Most Widgets--fitting name 8)  I wonder what tire they plan on running and if they will use a synthetic blend of german synthetics and standard french dino oil?

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #107 on: August 08, 2011, 10:55:32 PM »
 :rotflmao:   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Nicely done SoP!  :hail:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #108 on: August 09, 2011, 04:58:26 AM »
Lexus??

I'm just glad that we can keep threadjacking this thread until Jim moves it to the open forum or closes it, I'm tired of hearing about Beemer bikes on a Connie forum...  :loco:

If I want to read about em I'll go to the beemer forum.

I agree.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Frank ZZR

Another Comparo...
« Reply #109 on: August 14, 2011, 11:23:26 PM »
2010 C 14 ABS
2008 ZX 250
2007 Vulcan 900 Custom
2002 ZZR 1200

Offline So Cal Joe

Re: Another Comparo...
« Reply #110 on: August 15, 2011, 07:23:42 AM »
Good write up, but I don't think that these 2 bikes should be compared to each other. The BMW is so much more money and many more options. I think thats like comparing a touring bike to a cruiser. I don't think the concours steers heavy at all but I guess it's what bike you came off of. I came from a 900 lb Gold Wing so the concours seems very light to me. Now as far as it being a bike to go cross country on, well  as I said I came from a Gold Wing and I have been cross country several times on a Wing I don't think I would want to  try it on my concours. And the Wing has linked brakes so I like that, they didn't in the comparison

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #111 on: August 15, 2011, 07:32:00 AM »
Good write up, but I don't think that these 2 bikes should be compared to each other. The BMW is so much more money and many more options. I think thats like comparing a touring bike to a cruiser. I don't think the concours steers heavy at all but I guess it's what bike you came off of. I came from a 900 lb Gold Wing so the concours seems very light to me. Now as far as it being a bike to go cross country on, well  as I said I came from a Gold Wing and I have been cross country several times on a Wing I don't think I would want to  try it on my concours. And the Wing has linked brakes so I like that, they didn't in the comparison

+1

I suspect they may have used the stock Connie tires for their testing/evaluation of the 2 bikes.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline olie

« Reply #112 on: August 15, 2011, 08:15:07 AM »
Time for Kawasaki to answer it with a 6cyl of its own or ... a super-charged engine. Don't forget the cruise control...

BTW, I agree with the comment about the narrow handle bars. And yes, a taller seat for me too...
13 Blue Connie, 8/4/2013
16 Green Versys 1k
11 Red Vette

Offline DenverC-14

« Reply #113 on: August 15, 2011, 08:41:49 AM »
Put a set of PR3's on it, and I'm sure it would've handled better for the reviewer. I ride mine like a SS, so I like the bar position.

Offline Bourne2Ride

« Reply #114 on: August 15, 2011, 11:56:27 AM »
Our bikes are the best bang for the buck, and an all around winner winner - chicken dinner. I'll take the 2011 Connie, spend $2.5K on farkles (get cruse control, heated Corbin seat, etc) and figure out what to do with the left over $6.5K. Hell, I can take my wife on a nice vacation. Or just buy more farkles.  8) - oh and still have money left over.

I expect the 1600 GT to be a better bike. It's like a BMW M3 is better than a Nissan 370ZX. Both nice cars, and fun to drive; but the $50K M3 beats the hell out of the $38K 370ZX any day.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 01:09:28 PM by Bourne2Ride »
Save the Connie and Save the world!
- Heroes

Offline mkorn

« Reply #115 on: August 15, 2011, 12:05:38 PM »
I used to think the C14 was heavy ... i came off a 2002 Nighthawk 750.  but now that i have a few thousand miles on it.
it feels light and nimble all but when stopped.  once i am moving it feels fine.
2009 C14 ABS
2002 750 Nighthawk (sold)
2006 DRz 400s

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #116 on: August 15, 2011, 03:58:25 PM »
Good write up, but I don't think that these 2 bikes should be compared to each other. The BMW is so much more money and many more options. I think thats like comparing a touring bike to a cruiser. I don't think the concours steers heavy at all but I guess it's what bike you came off of.

Agreed.  And it is a good review of both bikes.  I could nit pick some of their conclusions (like gas mileage, windshield height, steering), but they did a fair job.

If you MUST compare the two bikes, which are completely out of the same price universe, the C14 *still* does remarkably well.  I don't think Kawasaki needs a 6 cyl or an "answer" to the BMW, because it will just push them right out of the reasonably priced market.

Overall, the C14 performs almost as well (better in some ways, worse in others, but close overall), is just as comfortable, has just as much storage, and has most of the high-tech amenities as the K1600 (abs, traction, computer, electric windshield, heated grips, tps, etc).  And it does all that with a MUCH better warranty and MUCH lower price.

About the ONLY thing I am jealous of is the factory cruise and the tracking headlight; neither of which is a deal-breaker.  If I had no C14 and were in the market to buy again, I would make the same choice- the Kawasaki (and I could afford to buy either).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #117 on: August 15, 2011, 04:57:29 PM »
I had a 06 Wing... been cross country on that bike several times.  I've been to Moonshine and back a couple times on my C14.  I could do cross country on my C14 without hesitation... haven't had a reason yet.

The C14, for my comfort, only lacks CC to make a cross country run... could do without it, but would be nicer with.

I do miss the LBS of the Wing, and my old ST1300, but have gotten used to not having it.  The C14, in the ST market, is the best bang for the buck you can get right now.  It is a sharp twisty cutting tool that also gives you the LD riding comfort needed to get there... comes loaded with options that others charge you extra for... and it's available at a price that won't break your budget.
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #118 on: August 15, 2011, 09:13:50 PM »
I do miss the LBS of the Wing, and my old ST1300

LBS?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #119 on: August 16, 2011, 12:23:26 AM »
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!