Author Topic: Michelin PR3 Report  (Read 20336 times)

Offline Dade22

Re: Michelin PR3 Report
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2011, 11:45:00 AM »
Sounds like the PR3s will be my next set of tires.  Could someone post the removal of both wheels?   

Thanks.

Dade22
"To punish and enslave..."

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2011, 07:34:13 AM »
I'm running the 023 front and rear and they seem to handle great, I replaced the front 021 at 3500 miles and the rear at 5500 miles. I normally replace both tire at the same time but the front stock tire wore out quick. I think I should get 10,000 from these 023's
Front with 5,000 miles on it now

Rear with with 3,000 miles on it now

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2011, 08:30:06 PM »
Funny thing- I just mounted a pair of PR3's after finding them (tripping over them actually) at a local dealer for an incredible price, and I am not sure what I think of them yet. I am a big fan of PR2s and the -3's just feel different. I think the sides are a bit softer on the -3's than the -2's were but the feel of turning them in and holding a turn is a bit strange. They feel absolutely neutral; no resistance to turn in and no need to hold any pressure on the tires once in the turn. The feedback is a little odd too.

I don’t mean to sound like I am complaining or do not like the tires because I do- they are just a little different than what I expected I suppose. They do feel a little softer than PR2s and I think the ride is a little softer because of that. Overall they seem like another great tire for the C-14 (along with Michelin PR2s and Pirelli Angel GTs). It will be interesting to see how they handle once worn about ½ way down and how long they last; I found PR2s excellent in both of those areas.

Brian

I like the feel of the bike better with the pr2s vs the pr3s. I have about 1400mi on the 3s and replaced the2s at about 5k. The 3s seem to be affected by the tar snakes and blacktop patches more so than the 2s. My steering head bearings need to be tightened and I immediatelly noticed a small handlebar shake that wasnt there b4 I took of the 2s.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline roger dodger

• Keep it between the ditches
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2011, 07:38:56 AM »
They do feel a little softer than PR2s and I think the ride is a little softer because of that.......

I agree w/ BDF about the softer feel of the PR3, but I may attribute it to the added sipes. They not only help the grip when cold and/or wet, I think they add flex to soften the ride.

I rode 4500 to Vermont and back, and they stuck better than 2s, I pumped them up to 43 psi, and just pulled them off to finish my 2s off. The shop was amazed they had 4500 miles, and still looked newer w/ no flat spot, or checking. I am happy to save them for Arkansas.  ;D
'03 FJR
'02 C10 (mia)
'81 KZ1000

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2011, 07:50:05 AM »
Funny thing- I just mounted a pair of PR3's after finding them (tripping over them actually) at a local dealer for an incredible price, and I am not sure what I think of them yet. I am a big fan of PR2s and the -3's just feel different. I think the sides are a bit softer on the -3's than the -2's were but the feel of turning them in and holding a turn is a bit strange. They feel absolutely neutral; no resistance to turn in and no need to hold any pressure on the tires once in the turn. The feedback is a little odd too.

I don’t mean to sound like I am complaining or do not like the tires because I do- they are just a little different than what I expected I suppose. They do feel a little softer than PR2s and I think the ride is a little softer because of that. Overall they seem like another great tire for the C-14 (along with Michelin PR2s and Pirelli Angel GTs). It will be interesting to see how they handle once worn about ½ way down and how long they last; I found PR2s excellent in both of those areas.

Brian

Brian, that is an interesting comment.  I've been running the PR2's (on my third set) and when I saw the PR3's I was immediately concerned that with all the extra small sipes in the tread that they may have a little more wiggle, or squirm in them (not sure what to call it).  I'm wondering if that is what you are feeling.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline Toaster

« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2011, 10:27:24 AM »
Just instaleed a set of PR3, love them so far. Only got 4200 KM out of the 021s

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2011, 10:43:50 AM »
You two guys got me to thinking- I believe what I am feeling may just be because of the siping cuts- but it is not squirm, it is the opposite. The tires make the bike feel like it is lacking feedback but I now think it might be that the siping cuts are allowing the tire's surface to conform to the little changes in the road surface rather than squirm (a very small amount) and transmit that feeling back to the handlebars. The PR3s perform fine and grip well, it is just the feel of the tires that is putting me off a bit- perhaps Michelin is really onto something here and I just did not see the change as an improvement?

Thanks for the thoughts. I think I will push a little harder and see how the rear acts when leaned over and fed a bit of throttle.

Brian

They do feel a little softer than PR2s and I think the ride is a little softer because of that.......

I agree w/ BDF about the softer feel of the PR3, but I may attribute it to the added sipes. They not only help the grip when cold and/or wet, I think they add flex to soften the ride.

I rode 4500 to Vermont and back, and they stuck better than 2s, I pumped them up to 43 psi, and just pulled them off to finish my 2s off. The shop was amazed they had 4500 miles, and still looked newer w/ no flat spot, or checking. I am happy to save them for Arkansas.  ;D

Brian, that is an interesting comment.  I've been running the PR2's (on my third set) and when I saw the PR3's I was immediately concerned that with all the extra small sipes in the tread that they may have a little more wiggle, or squirm in them (not sure what to call it).  I'm wondering if that is what you are feeling.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2011, 12:35:57 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts Brian.  BTW, I can't believe this, but I actually did not see Rodger Dodgers post before I posted.  I don't like to post the same thing without acknowledging that it had already been brought up.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2011, 01:10:49 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts Brian.  BTW, I can't believe this, but I actually did not see Rodger Dodgers post before I posted.  I don't like to post the same thing without acknowledging that it had already been brought up.

Happens to me all the time.  Don't worry about it.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline roger dodger

• Keep it between the ditches
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2011, 01:14:48 PM »

Great minds think alike...

I tried to skip the rear w/ tar strips, painted lines, even a 4" deep 4' wide 'river' on the turnpike...but no slippy - no slidey!

These tires must suck if you want to do burn-outs(?) ;)

'03 FJR
'02 C10 (mia)
'81 KZ1000

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2011, 04:26:25 PM »
Me too- I went looking for tar snakes and seams in concrete roads and pushed the bike pretty hard when riding over them. These tires just do not seem to hunt or wander until the road surface gets ridiculously uneven. They (PR3s) really are pretty impressive. Brian gives them three thumbs up (wait, that isn't a thumb)..... er, I mean two thunbs up.

Brian

Great minds think alike...

I tried to skip the rear w/ tar strips, painted lines, even a 4" deep 4' wide 'river' on the turnpike...but no slippy - no slidey!

These tires must suck if you want to do burn-outs(?) ;)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2011, 04:31:17 PM »
I'd prefer my racing slicks (if guaranteed dry tarmac).

Tread cuts are for water, and these tires are supposed to be improved in the wet over the PR2's. I dunno why, i railed my PR2's in the rain and they found the limit only a "dash" sooner than dry.

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline redbarber

• Arena
  • '09 ABS (wife on '08 Can-AM Spyder follows)
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2011, 09:41:14 AM »
Anyone done the Angel ST's to PR3 switch?  Your opinion?

I know this is late, but I'm just getting into the "new" forum.  FWIW, I went from OEM's to PR2s, to Angel ST's now to PR3s.  Can't speak to tire life yet, only about 2500 miles on these.  They feel better to me now than then Angels did at 200 miles.  I'm a 12 month rider, and generally ride in any weather that comes up (no car), and I feel more confident in the wet now than at any time since I bought the '09 back in early '10. 
If you take yourself too seriously, nobody else will.  Humor is all around you, make it your quest to find all of it!

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2011, 09:58:38 AM »
I know this is late, but I'm just getting into the "new" forum.  FWIW, I went from OEM's to PR2s, to Angel ST's now to PR3s.  Can't speak to tire life yet, only about 2500 miles on these.  They feel better to me now than then Angels did at 200 miles.  I'm a 12 month rider, and generally ride in any weather that comes up (no car), and I feel more confident in the wet now than at any time since I bought the '09 back in early '10.

Thanks for your input!
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Supatramp

« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2011, 09:37:18 AM »
Just ordered front & back from Jakes, been waiting from Motorcycle Superstores since July, cancelled order, thanks, Steve
Well, installed the rear PR3 yesterday and was all proud of myself for a job well done, especially for not breaking the tire sensor. Thank goodness, when I took it out for a shakedown, I knew enough to go slow and easy.
When I hit the rear brake, it when down. I forgot to installed the anchor screw for the caliper and it rotated, which caused the brake hose to dig into the cotter key, oooops.
Anyone know where I can order a stainless replacement hose? thanks, Gary

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2011, 11:14:14 AM »
Well, installed the rear PR3 yesterday and was all proud of myself for a job well done, especially for not breaking the tire sensor. Thank goodness, when I took it out for a shakedown, I knew enough to go slow and easy.
When I hit the rear brake, it when down. I forgot to installed the anchor screw for the caliper and it rotated, which caused the brake hose to dig into the cotter key, oooops.
Anyone know where I can order a stainless replacement hose? thanks, Gary

Glad you're OK. If i was in the market to replace brake lines on this bike i'd just call Murph. www.murphskits.com
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Supatramp

« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2011, 11:34:31 AM »
Glad you're OK. If i was in the market to replace brake lines on this bike i'd just call Murph. www.murphskits.com

Thanks Steve, know better than to take off, was only doing under 10mph. Been looking on the internet for a line, but think your suggestion is the wtg.

Offline Maverick

• I rode below sea level...and survived
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2011, 01:25:23 PM »
PR3 on wet HWY at 100mph, nothing to report, no wobbling at all, just amazing...
GTR Club Europe Member # 388
1400 GTR 2008

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2011, 01:43:05 PM »
PR3 on wet HWY at 100mph, nothing to report, no wobbling at all, just amazing...

Offline J.R.

« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2011, 11:08:13 PM »
So is everyone getting similar mileage out of the PR3's as they were the 2's?  I got 12k out of my first set of PR2's, and have 10k on my current set.  I expect to get another 3-4k from them before they need replacing.  I'm more on the tour side of sporttouring if you were wondering :)

I have a 110 mile round trip commute to work, so mileage is important to me :)
Jim
2016 C14 "Kristi"