Author Topic: Where can I find a dyno ??  (Read 9199 times)

Offline Bagger

Where can I find a dyno ??
« on: July 21, 2011, 07:15:17 PM »
I have a single can/mid pipe Holeshot exhaust on my 2010 C14 with a ECM re-Flash from Joe at Dynotronics.

I plan to add a Muzzy full carbon/SS dual system soon.

Before I do, I'd like to dyno the bike "as is", then do so with the dual system and then have the charts analyzed by Dynotronics to see if I need some tweaking of my ECM.  Not sure it will make a difference, but would like to make sure.

Where in my area .... central Connecticut ... can I find a dyno?  I don't want them to tune my bike, just give me baselines for each set up.

Thanx.
"I'm not a vigilante ... I'm just an undocumented border patrol agent."

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline ssmith

• Concours Owners Group
Re: Where can I find a dyno ??
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 07:47:06 PM »
There is a guy with a dyno hut at Max BMW (formerly Cliff's BMW) in Brookfield, CT.

Since you are from CT, you should look up the next CT COG monthly dinner meet 'n greet or come to the national rally in Vermont.
Steve Smith, COG #3184
Get your own official COG # by joining the Concours Owners Group, the premier sport-touring club for Concours enthusiasts and sport-touring riders.  Click here to learn more about club membership

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 08:28:22 PM »

I plan to add a Muzzy full carbon/SS dual system soon.

Sweet!!  :thumbs:   8)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 08:41:13 PM »
Oh, and by the way I have an appointment for this Saturday for a custom map on the dyno for my newly installed Muzzys dual system so I'll be posting the chart up, I pulled 133 hp on this same dyno with just a slip-on not long ago, we'll see soon enough...

Offline Bagger

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 04:30:30 AM »
Thanx, guys. 

I was going to try to piece together a ZX14 header (which I have) and a new left side midpipe using my Holeshot muffler(s).  But, decided to get Muzzy's full dual system carbon fiber cans.  They are ordered so should be here soon. 

I just wanted a baseline dyno for Dynotronics before I redid the dyno with the new system.  We'll see how this works out.

Offline cablebandit

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 06:42:26 AM »
Dynojet's website has a full listing of their locations by state.

http://www.dynojet.com/dyno_centers/list_motorcycle.aspx

Offline Supatramp

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 03:15:32 PM »
Where in my area .... central Connecticut ... can I find a dyno?  I don't want them to tune my bike, just give me baselines for each set up.
Thanx

Dr. Dyno is good, he lives in Conn., check his website. I had a bike done by him at Marcus Dairy and am very satisfied.

Offline Bagger

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 07:16:41 PM »
Dr. Dyno is good, he lives in Conn., check his website. I had a bike done by him at Marcus Dairy and am very satisfied.

Fred (Dr. Dyno) just got back to me.  He's in Carlisle for the next 2 months.  I asked for suggestions, but have not heard back. 

Any suggestions .... again?

Offline katata1100

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 11:21:22 AM »
Dynojet's website has a full listing of their locations by state.

http://www.dynojet.com/dyno_centers/list_motorcycle.aspx

Did that search and was surprised to see that Dale Walker fled CA and relocated
Holeshot to BFG in Yerington, NV, which is just under an hour from where I live!
Now, if only he would come out with a full 4-1 system for the C14 instead of just a
slip on....

Offline Bagger

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2011, 12:38:15 PM »
Did that search and was surprised to see that Dale Walker fled CA and relocated
Holeshot to BFG in Yerington, NV, which is just under an hour from where I live!
Now, if only he would come out with a full 4-1 system for the C14 instead of just a
slip on....

Yes, spoke with Dale about "making" me a 4-2-2 system.  Said any thing can be done, but I figured it would be less of a problem to buy one already made.  Plus, NV is not next door to CT.

Dale's a good guy.  I've spent some time emailing/talking with him.  We share some ..... ahhh .... common philosophy points.  I'm not surprised he exited CA ... many others have done so for similar reasons.

Yeah, I wish he had a full system, too.

Offline katata1100

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2011, 03:34:40 PM »
Yes, spoke with Dale about "making" me a 4-2-2 system.  Said any thing can be done, but I figured it would be less of a problem to buy one already made.  Plus, NV is not next door to CT.

Well, seeing how I live relatively close to him (I drove though Yerington last month on the way to Las Vegas), I should be the first to get a Holeshot 4-1 system.

Offline Bagger

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 04:00:28 PM »
Well, seeing how I live relatively close to him (I drove though Yerington last month on the way to Las Vegas), I should be the first to get a Holeshot 4-1 system.

I'm sure Dale can make you a header for the C14 ... but, I have a ZX14 header (new in the box) ... but, don't know how that would be different than just adding the mid pipe/Holeshot can?? 

Talk to Dale,  as I may be missing something here.

Offline katata1100

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2011, 04:32:51 PM »
I'm sure Dale can make you a header for the C14 ... but, I have a ZX14 header (new in the box) ... but, don't know how that would be different than just adding the mid pipe/Holeshot can?? 

Talk to Dale,  as I may be missing something here.
I don't want a 4-2, I want a 4-1 so that rules out the zx14 exhaust. Also, the reason I want a full exhaust instead of just the can is that collector tubes on the stock exhaust are tiny, aftermarket like Area P is bigger. Check them out, they are smaller than the collectors on my '91 Katana 1100, look similar in size to those on my old GS550.A motor this big shouldn't have such small pipes, it is a restriction that needs to be rectified.

Offline Bagger

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2011, 05:06:31 PM »
I don't want a 4-2, I want a 4-1 so that rules out the zx14 exhaust. Also, the reason I want a full exhaust instead of just the can is that collector tubes on the stock exhaust are tiny, aftermarket like Area P is bigger. Check them out, they are smaller than the collectors on my '91 Katana 1100, look similar in size to those on my old GS550.A motor this big shouldn't have such small pipes, it is a restriction that needs to be rectified.

I understand.  I've seen the AreaP (and other) headers compared to the stock/ZX14s.  You are correct regarding size.  Size .... ahhhh .... does matter here.

Couple things come to mind ... and I'm certainly not an expert here .... larger headers may flow more, but do they restrict lower rpm power... and, hence ... speed off the line?  I don't know, but think someone suggested that this is true.  That the larger diameter header tubes from after market will give better high end power, but will limit power off the line.

Also, if Dale has a header for the ZX14, I'm sure he can make a mid pip and add a can to do what you want, m'friend.

Offline katata1100

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2011, 12:46:22 PM »

Also, if Dale has a header for the ZX14, I'm sure he can make a mid pip and add a can to do what you want, m'friend.

I emailed Dale about plans for a future 4-1 for the C14 and he said there are none. He feels that the bike is not a zx 14, it is a sport tourer and thus doesn't need one. I think the c14 is a zx 14 that can tour, but I will not argue the point.

Offline Bagger

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2011, 07:18:08 PM »
I emailed Dale about plans for a future 4-1 for the C14 and he said there are none. He feels that the bike is not a zx 14, it is a sport tourer and thus doesn't need one. I think the c14 is a zx 14 that can tour, but I will not argue the point.

I think I said I had similar conversation with Dale.  I sorta agree with him, too. 

But, some of us want MORE from the bike.  Altho, I must say ... if you are looking for a nice fitting, clean, great sounding, lighter than OEM and more powerful single slip on exhasut .... Dale's Holeshot is the deal, m'friends.  Excellent stuff from Dale.

Offline Bagger

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2011, 02:48:39 PM »
Oh, and by the way I have an appointment for this Saturday for a custom map on the dyno for my newly installed Muzzys dual system so I'll be posting the chart up, I pulled 133 hp on this same dyno with just a slip-on not long ago, we'll see soon enough...

ZG .... did you get the dyno reports from the dual system yet? 

Also, was any 'retuning' required going from the slip on to the full system?

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2011, 03:50:08 PM »
ZG .... did you get the dyno reports from the dual system yet? 

Also, was any 'retuning' required going from the slip on to the full system?

Yep, 13 hp gain over my prior base line run and 92 ft-lbs torque, I posted it on the dyno thread, she's smooth like silk now and pulls hard through the entire range!  :thumbs: :) 

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=312.msg2543#msg2543

« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 06:32:58 PM by ZG »

Offline Bagger

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2011, 04:16:11 PM »

Yep, 13 hp gain over my prior base line run and 92 ft-lbs torque, I posted it on the dyno thread, she's smooth like silk now and pulls hard through the entire range!  :thumbs: :) 

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=312.msg2543#msg2543

Thanx ... I just saw this on the dyno thread.

Now .... I just got off the phone with Curt from Muzzy.  He said that the carbon fiber cans can be damaged by dyno-ing the bike with them on.  He's seen this happen before. 

Did you have the dyno lab take some precautions to keep from damaging the CF cans?  I know fans can be used, but Muzzy says this is not enough to prevent heat build up and damage.  (making me nervous dyno-ing my CF full exhausts)