Author Topic: Im starting to have second thoughts about a c14  (Read 41822 times)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
Re: Im starting to have second thoughts about a c14
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2011, 07:34:26 PM »
Now I know that issues tend to overpower all the good aspects of a vehicle, but let me tell you my story. I have been riding Honda,Yamaha Suzuki for 22 years.  Total of 7 bikes. Only had two brand new bikes .
I am the mimurph that got rear ended and my bike will probably be totaled.  I am reading as much info on the c-14 as I can because im a fanatic when it come to that.  To tell you the truth, I dont get the same warm fuzzy feeling that i had with most of my other bikes. The concourse seems to have some quirks, like the brakes, valve adjustments, Kipass and stuff that I really have'nt seen on most other manufacturers.  Granted, all bikes have issues.  My other bike I have now is a Yamaha Roadstar with 73000 miles.  Original rotors Had trans recall.  Other then that no other problems.  Please dont take this wrong.  But would you considered the c-14 a high maint. bike, or am I blowing this out of proportion.
I guess what Im asking is, If you had to do it again,  Would you?    Thanks   Murph

my take is sell, cut and run.
get the fork outta the thoughtn you had when purchasing the machine.
there are some folks determined to make due, others love the machine, an still others that hold onto it, even though it don't fit, bitchin thewhole way.... been watching this for 4 years, and I don't have a bit of sympathy for someone wanting to be the cock-on-the-block...

do  your thing man.

you are here addresing a group of people that have experience between first bike, and those that have ridden top fuel drag bikes at 200 mph, some of us don't have A LOT OF patiiance with your indecisisn... you need to work that out in private... seriously....
 don't ask us what you should do.

best of luck.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2011, 08:17:32 PM »
Yeah, it is not that others do not have that same thought Rich but your smooth, slick and painless delivery makes this post so amusing.

I love this place....

Brian

there are some folks determined to make due, others love the machine, an still others that hold onto it, even though it don't fit, bitchin thewhole way.... been watching this for 4 years, and I don't have a bit of sympathy for someone wanting to be the cock-on-the-block...

do  your thing man.

you are here addresing a group of people that have experience between first bike, and those that have ridden top fuel drag bikes at 200 mph, some of us don't have A LOT OF patiiance with your indecisisn... you need to work that out in private... seriously....

best of luck.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2011, 08:31:13 PM »
Love my 2008 to death, and has been as reliable as a hammer. I would buy another in a heart beat.......just sayin. And paranoia will destroy ya, many issues are the folks that say they have issues. ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2011, 08:32:47 PM »

do  your thing man.

best of luck.

:yikes: 

Sorry...

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2011, 08:36:04 PM »
I love my 2010 more than the 2008 I loved. Maybe I'll love the 2012 or 2013 more than both of those. I'd rather see you having second thoughts on buying a Harley or a Piagio scooter. Good luck with your quest though. Triumph is going to have a new Trophy before next year. That'll be a sweet set-up from what I have read.
Joel from Maine.

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2011, 08:36:34 PM »
Honestly, I prefered my 06 FJR1300.  Fit and finish was a little nicer, it was more comfortable, wasn't hot and came stock back then with ABS.

I agree with everything you say.  I had both bikes for nearly a year, but didn't ride the FJR for about 9 months while it sat at a dealer.  I went and picked it up and for about two months I alternated between the two.  The Kawasaki handles marginally better, but I honestly liked the FJR better for every day riding.  If they will just update it with a six speed and the newer features that the Concours has I would likely go back to an FJR.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2011, 11:24:58 PM »

:yikes: 

Sorry...

we have a biiiiiiig weeeeener... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
I love my 08, and cannot fathom selling it....I only sold my 86 because I felt sorry for A bloke who's bike got torched.....and I still want it back...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline sycamoredave

« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2011, 04:17:11 AM »
I have mixed feelings about my '08 C-14.  It handles well, and has lots of power.  The bags hold lots of stuff, and the adjustable windscreen is a nice feature.  Issues include the brakes (just spent >$500 to fix what the dealer would not), the TPMS (dealer would not fix, so we just shut it off), KIPASS (unpredictable issues, just give me a key), and the heat (mitigated but not fixed with heat vent blocks).  Other nits include the very poor seat (most uncomfortable I have ever owned, Corbin is not much better), poor stock windscreen (bought a Cee Bailey), non-adjustable handle bars (risers helped some), and poor gas mileage (it is what it is).  I have 13K on my bike, am now on my third set of tires, and third set of brake pads (no I do not ride the brake).  This bike replaced an old Kaw Voyager 1200 that had been from coast to coast.  The old Voyager was short on handling, but very comfy, and got 50 mpg.  It had cruise control, fully adjustable handle bars, decent sound and intercom system, and was relatively easy to fix.  I wish Kaw had gone the rest of the way with the C-14, and done it right.  I hear the 2010 fixed a lot of the issues we '08 and '09 owners have complained about.  I hope so.   :-\

Ride safe... ;D
Dave

'08 C-14
'09 KLR

Offline big al

« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2011, 11:35:55 AM »
after riding cruiser type bikes for 20 plus years , i love my 2010 , no problems other than i dont want to get off it, no brake problems no heat issues kipass has not failed, i have no complaints at all ,

Son of Pappy

« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2011, 02:48:31 PM »
I am so disgruntled with my '14!!  After a measly 49,000 miles my front bearings were shot.  I think I will trade it in on a Sportster 8)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2011, 03:25:48 PM »
Both bearings? BOTH of them? That is disgusting! One would have been bad enough but both of them?

Did you notify the DOT? I wonder if Kawasaki is going to have a recall? They are not going to do anything about this unless we all call our congressman and complain, long and loud. How long are people's lives going to be in danger because of this? Other manufacturers would never allow something like this to happen- if a part wears out on a Honda for example, I've heard technicians fly in on a chartered plane from Japan and fix it immediately while at the same time giving you a certificate for any current Honda product, free of charge of course, and a foot massage.

I am starting to think Neanderthals had a better life. Sure they were hungry and cold, and only lived about 25 years but they never had to put up with the aggravation that we (C-14) owners have had to.

Oh the humanities....

Brian

I am so disgruntled with my '14!!  After a measly 49,000 miles my front bearings were shot.  I think I will trade it in on a Sportster 8)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

valkmc

« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2011, 03:48:41 PM »
I am not golng to pass judgiment right now bc I am stranded on mine

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2011, 04:11:36 PM »
I have 27k on my 09 C14.  I've burned thru 2 sets of rotors, just bought some Galpher's.  I could keep having them replaced under warranty, but I'd rather do this, as my time and braking performance are more important than warranty work.  Other than that, pretty much gas and ride... other than normal maintenance. 

A few have had an issue with KiPass.

I would still buy this bike again.  8)

The Feejer's are having a recall for the brake lever and some kind of wiring harness... the ST1300's are having a recall for the rear brake master cylinder hose... who knows what is in store for the K16GTx after a few months.   

Any bike is going to have some kind of maintenance done to it... valve's are one part of that schedule.  You can choose to do it yourself, or pay for it to be done... make and model doesn't make a difference.  Some are easier than others.

What you get for the money on a 2010 or newer C14 can't be matched by the others... doom and gloom included  ;D
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2011, 06:16:03 PM »
  If they will just update it with a six speed and the newer features that the Concours has I would likely go back to an FJR.

That's the exact reason I didn't even look at the FJR when I bought my Connie--particularly the 5-speed transmission. And that was two years ago!

Offline koval68

« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2011, 08:57:52 PM »
I can honestly say that my 09 C-14 is the best all around bike I have ever owned.....  :thumbs:
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline vivo

« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2011, 09:01:36 PM »
I like my 09, it does exactly what it needs to... that said I've noticed I never look at other Connies parked up. I am somehow not all that interested in the bike, even my own, although it is very capable.  Would I get another??? Most likely I would and I will  need to do some bigger rides to bond with the bike... I think no single bike can tick all of my boxes. My bike needs an Area P... more tude and we will see how it is then.... and the Sargent isn't really working for me although it is much better looking than the stocker...  once dialed in I may actually love the bike... maybe... but there is no reason at all to feel it's a difficult machine

vivo

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2011, 10:06:13 PM »
I call BS on this thread.

I have 40K on my 2010. No issues to report.  Haven't even adjusted for throttle slack or idling.

Wait, the high beam bulb went out and the front brake caliper plastic cover got loose. But Ceasors palace in vegas PAID me because I had KiPass in my pocket at the craps tables!

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2011, 03:10:25 AM »
2008 model bought new in Aug 2007.
36Mpg (US) but then I am heavy (370lbs), have a +6" CalSci screen and do thrash the crap out of her most days.
Centrestand replaced under warranty (rust).
One clutch friction plate disintegrated @ 30,000 miles.
Replaced front bearings at 33,000 miles. One was fine, the other had a little rust on it.
Rear bearings are still fine (checked when new tyre fitted last Saturday).
Currently at 42,000 miles and rising @ 360 per week (working from home 2 days/week now).

Would I buy another one? Hell yeah.  ;D
I waited an extra year for the C14 (was gonna buy a new FJR) and it was worth the wait.
The ergos need some work for me, but then so does every other bike.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2011, 04:09:24 AM »
I'm pi***d it didn't come out earlier than it did...  I love this bike, even with it's 'faults'.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2011, 04:55:35 AM »
Both bearings? BOTH of them? That is disgusting! One would have been bad enough but both of them?

Did you notify the DOT? I wonder if Kawasaki is going to have a recall? They are not going to do anything about this unless we all call our congressman and complain, long and loud. How long are people's lives going to be in danger because of this? Other manufacturers would never allow something like this to happen- if a part wears out on a Honda for example, I've heard technicians fly in on a chartered plane from Japan and fix it immediately while at the same time giving you a certificate for any current Honda product, free of charge of course, and a foot massage.

I am starting to think Neanderthals had a better life. Sure they were hungry and cold, and only lived about 25 years but they never had to put up with the aggravation that we (C-14) owners have had to.

Oh the humanities....

Brian

Had I known about the foot massage...
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn