Author Topic: Murphs' Kits Wedges  (Read 38466 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Murphs' Kits Wedges
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2011, 04:05:07 PM »
Well, just did the left bar install over my 2nd cup of coffee.  Took a couple minutes, then I uninstalled it and will either be shipping the kit back to Murph or selling it.  I am fairly handy with tools, but could only get 2 of the 3 washers rotated to the correct orientation.

I stumbled across what I think is the best method, to use a dental tool in the washer notch to hold the washer in place while tightening.  Once I figured that out, the rest were easy.

I'm anal/OCD and those washers and wedges would worry me if I ever dropped the bike off to have it worked on.

I am also OCD (much more "O" than "C"), and worry about it too, except that it should be pretty rare they need to remove the bars.  Think about it- what routine maintenance requires removing the bars??  Plus, I *ALWAYS* supply a printout with warnings about the bike when I drop it off.  I already have one in there now about the bars (and things like the center stand/lowering links, aux wiring, etc).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2011, 05:54:08 PM »
I think too much thought is being put into washer orientation.  If the bolts can be tightened to the correct torque with the washers in a reasonably close location then life is good....

Offline Conhardcore

• 2011 Concours 14 Black
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2011, 08:18:21 AM »
I think too much thought is being put into washer orientation.  If the bolts can be tightened to the correct torque with the washers in a reasonably close location then life is good....

Kind of what I was thinking.  I mean perfect is perfect but there is a pretty broad high edge tall side of the washer and if it torques it torques.  Mine are going on with the stock bars tomorrow morning.

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2011, 02:14:51 PM »
I got some hard rubber washers... I may be able to live with that.

8)
Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap... Avoid it now, do a trackday.

Area P full exhaust, PC-V, Autotune, filter, flys out.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2011, 05:08:15 PM »

You just have to define what is "reasonable".  I don't think they have to be perfect, but looking at the design, I would say they should be within 20 degrees or so.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2011, 05:36:59 PM »
Just installed the wedges...  used 1 rubber washer per bolt.  The washers are pretty firm.  I torqued to 20 ft. lbs, as my big torque wrench doesn't do less than that.  Small one is in. lbs.  Didn't search for the conversion (yet).

Bars are very solid.  Feels stock.  No wiggle.  I lubed with a silicone lubricant in the hopes that the washers would spin rather than bind.

Barry

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2011, 09:41:20 AM »
You just have to define what is "reasonable".  I don't think they have to be perfect, but looking at the design, I would say they should be within 20 degrees or so.

meaning if you are able to get the bolts thru the holes and tightened to spec w/o the bars falling off the bike...lol

Offline Conhardcore

• 2011 Concours 14 Black
« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2011, 03:34:34 PM »
I stumbled across what I think is the best method, to use a dental tool in the washer notch to hold the washer in place while tightening.  Once I figured that out, the rest were easy.

Your method worked perfectly Max.  Wedges are  on and feel great.  Nice improvement and for me completely eliminate the need for any kind of risers.

Offline MrFurious

« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2011, 05:04:13 PM »
The wire from a small paper clip will work as well
Jim B.
COG #9642
2009 C14 - Black - Non-ABS
Insanity is not as easy as I make it look!

Offline gildaguz

« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2011, 07:37:11 PM »
Do not have raisers, planning to order a set of wedges,do they come with set of bolts or do i have to pick the option ( with extra lenght bolts + $ 2.00 )
2009 Non ABS Concours Black
2006 Honda VTX 1300 C candy Orange
2004 Honda Shadow  Sabre 750
1979 Suzuki 185 all terrain

Offline MrFurious

« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2011, 07:41:25 PM »
The "Extra Length Bolts +$2.00" option for those who have the 2" Heli risers.  You would want the "Stock bars, no risers" option which will come with 35mm bolts.
Jim B.
COG #9642

Offline gildaguz

« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2011, 08:31:35 PM »
The "Extra Length Bolts +$2.00" option for those who have the 2" Heli risers.  You would want the "Stock bars, no risers" option which will come with 35mm bolts.
Thanks
2009 Non ABS Concours Black
2006 Honda VTX 1300 C candy Orange
2004 Honda Shadow  Sabre 750
1979 Suzuki 185 all terrain

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2011, 03:50:16 PM »
OK - rode 52+ miles this morning to work.  Felt my hands were far too close together.  Someone else mentioned this.  I didn't measure the change, but at work removed the wedges before riding home.  DO NOT like the position of the bars.  The angle is good, the move inboard kills me.  May be small, feels huge.

I'm gonna' sell my kit.  Anyone wants it, it is for sale.  Quality is first rate, just not working for me.

In the interest of making excellent customer service known, Murph's first response to me was "send them home".  There is NOTHING wrong with the kit.  I can't in good concience send the kit back, there is nothing wrong with it.  Just not working for me personally.  I'll ship the kit for a discounted price.  Ping me if you want.  I'll post up in the for sale forum later.

Barry

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2011, 04:43:00 PM »
OK - rode 52+ miles this morning to work.  Felt my hands were far too close together.  Someone else mentioned this.  I didn't measure the change, but at work removed the wedges before riding home.  DO NOT like the position of the bars.  The angle is good, the move inboard kills me.  May be small, feels huge.
I'm gonna' sell my kit.

There is no question that the bars are slightly closer together, it is function of the angles.  I don't have an exact number, since it wasn't something I measured- if I had to pick something, I would say 1/2" to 2/3" ?  Doesn't bother me in the least.  Of course, everyone is different, but I am surprised you would find it that objectionable, especially in such a short time.

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #74 on: August 16, 2011, 04:45:31 PM »
Noticed it immediately, bothered me quite a bit all the way to work.  You have to remember, I'm a supermoto/dirt rider.  I ride with my outer 2 fingers on the bar ends.  I'm a wide grip kind of person.  The difference is probably minimal, felt huge TO ME.

That's the issue.  Me.

Barry

Offline MrFurious

« Reply #75 on: August 17, 2011, 12:38:49 AM »
As with any change you make that affects the ergo's (seat, raise/lower pegs, bar risers, etc.) the slight change in width is going to feel drastically different than what you're used to and will take a few days of good riding to get used to.
Jim B.
COG #9642

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #76 on: August 17, 2011, 06:40:53 AM »
As with any change you make that affects the ergo's (seat, raise/lower pegs, bar risers, etc.) the slight change in width is going to feel drastically different than what you're used to and will take a few days of good riding to get used to.

I guess that is what I was trying to say- that a ride from work and one other 50 mile ride is probably not giving it a fair shake.  And the longer you have been used to something, the longer it would take to adjust. Of course, there are times when you know immediately that something is not going to work out.

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #77 on: August 17, 2011, 02:58:27 PM »
I guess that is what I was trying to say- that a ride from work and one other 50 mile ride is probably not giving it a fair shake.  And the longer you have been used to something, the longer it would take to adjust. Of course, there are times when you know immediately that something is not going to work out.

DING DING DING

Offline Murph

« Reply #78 on: August 17, 2011, 04:43:57 PM »

Barry

Send the kit back to Kentucky, we will refund all but $5..

8)

Hows that?

Murph
COG 2769
Industry Member

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #79 on: August 17, 2011, 05:42:33 PM »

Barry

Send the kit back to Kentucky, we will refund all but $5..

8)

Hows that?

Murph
COG 2769
Industry Member

You rock, but I feel it is not your fault, as there is nothing wrong with the kit.  I really don't want to send them back, I'd much prefer to sell them at a discount.  Cause I know I'm gonna' buy some more stuff (PR3!!!) from you and I'm sure I'll come out ahead in the long run.

EXCELLENT customer service.  And I recently experienced (elsewhere) HOOOOOORRRRRRIIIIBLE customer service.

Thanks Murph, always a pleasure dealing with you on the phone or via text....

Barry