Author Topic: rear wheel reinstall  (Read 12419 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: rear wheel reinstall
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2011, 10:36:22 PM »
Absolutely true- a tube of that stuff is a lifetime supply for several people. And let's not forget that whenever you touch the stuff it gets on everything for a 1/2 mile radius so the small tube really does go a long, long way.

What would be a real plus would be to have moly paste in a can with a brush- in- cap. That way we might have a chance of getting it mostly on the object we intend to lube with it in the first place. Moly paste and anti- seize.... each one will tint the whole world just a little bit every time either container is opened. I think I got some on my shirt once just by walking by the tube that was at least four feet away.   ;)

Brian

<snip>

I paid $8 for a tube of the Moly60 and I haven't used half of it in 5 yrs so it really is inexpensive.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2011, 03:37:53 AM »
Absolutely true- a tube of that stuff is a lifetime supply for several people. And let's not forget that whenever you touch the stuff it gets on everything for a 1/2 mile radius so the small tube really does go a long, long way.

What would be a real plus would be to have moly paste in a can with a brush- in- cap. That way we might have a chance of getting it mostly on the object we intend to lube with it in the first place. Moly paste and anti- seize.... each one will tint the whole world just a little bit every time either container is opened. I think I got some on my shirt once just by walking by the tube that was at least four feet away.   ;)

Brian

I've got some NAPA anti-seize that I bought 30 years ago with a brush in the cap.  I've used about a quarter inch of it so far.  I'm thinking of willing it to my grandson...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ZedHed

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2011, 04:37:30 PM »

Brian

The Belray assembly lube is exactly that -- plastic bottle with a brush.
"Life is a hard teacher - you get the test before the lesson is taught..."

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2011, 06:24:00 PM »
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately the Belray lube isn't moly paste as it only contains between 10% and 30% moly, at least according to the MSDS.

Brian

The Belray assembly lube is exactly that -- plastic bottle with a brush.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2011, 09:02:25 PM »
The suspension linkage bearings take a beating on my yz 250. If I use good moly lube, they last a lot longer. Percentage wise, I'll be conservative and say 20%. Moly does not wash away like so many other greases. Even marine grease.  I dislike marine grease especially since it is waterproof. Get it wet and the water tends to stick around a long time. Especially bad in steering head bearings.

You can get some good, all purpose gear lube that is super thick by getting "open gear lube" from the local farm stores. This often has enough moly to be useful. Heres a good spray. 

http://www.dymon.com/dymon-product.php?product=1194

Incredibly good on chains running on steel sprockets...worthless on aluminum sprockets, though.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2011, 09:40:19 PM »
Tonight I changed my rear tire and when I pulled the wheel off all the Honda Moly 60 was right where I put it 6,500 miles ago.  I couldn't say the same thing about regular grease.  I still wiped the splines as clean as I could get them and reapplied the moly.  $8 well spent IMO.

I used a medium bristle paint brush (shhhh, I stole it from my daughter's art kit) and I will just keep the brush in a ziploc right by the moly paste for next time. 
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Tom J.

• "Disciples of Displacement" charter member
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2011, 09:14:24 AM »
Finally got some of the Honda Moly 60 Paste...Whew- SO hard to find locally here in Tucson-  Even got so desperate as to call the Honda shop- they were OUT, the Kawi dealers didn't have it, auto parts stores- NOTHIN!  I ordered a tube on-line from Ron Ayers.com. I had to put the rear wheel back on before I received the paste.  Now Im going to take it apart and do it right!
Question, BESIDES the splines, where should I use the Moly?  I ask becaues I noticed some lube on the outer rim of the wheel hub.  This may be because there is a lip there and it's only where some of the grease collects as it 'spins out' from centrifugal force. Thx  Tom
'08 Kawasaki Concours
'98 Yamaha VMax
'84 Honda V65 Magna
'82 Honda CX500 Custom

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2011, 10:31:27 AM »
Nowhere else, just the splines, and not too much there either. Using too much paste won't hurt anything but you will wind up having to wipe it off the rear wheel. You only need about 1/2 of a thimble- full to take care of the drive splines really.

Brian

Finally got some of the Honda Moly 60 Paste...Whew- SO hard to find locally here in Tucson-  Even got so desperate as to call the Honda shop- they were OUT, the Kawi dealers didn't have it, auto parts stores- NOTHIN!  I ordered a tube on-line from Ron Ayers.com. I had to put the rear wheel back on before I received the paste.  Now Im going to take it apart and do it right!
Question, BESIDES the splines, where should I use the Moly?  I ask becaues I noticed some lube on the outer rim of the wheel hub.  This may be because there is a lip there and it's only where some of the grease collects as it 'spins out' from centrifugal force. Thx  Tom

Offline redbarber

• Arena
  • '09 ABS (wife on '08 Can-AM Spyder follows)
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2011, 05:52:38 AM »
... opened a new tube of Honda Moly 60 Paste from a sealed package. The darned thing was only half full ....
Even if you had really only received 1/2 a tube, chances are you'd be leaving some of it to your heirs when you die.  A little goes a long way.  (That is, if you are only using for yourself, on one or two bikes.  Professional mechanics can disregard my response.)
If you take yourself too seriously, nobody else will.  Humor is all around you, make it your quest to find all of it!

Offline Behindbars

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2011, 03:31:08 PM »
What's the torque spec for the rear axle nut?

Offline speed545

« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2011, 04:17:30 PM »
What's the torque spec for the rear axle nut?

rear axle nut: 94 FT-LB
caliper bracket bolt: 47 FT-LB
08, Concours 14
Montreal Fire Dept