Author Topic: What pressures for 17"  (Read 2253 times)

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
What pressures for 17"
« on: July 09, 2011, 09:15:30 PM »
I had roadsmarts on the bike for my trip, 120/70 front and 170/60 rear.  I only got 7k out of the rear and the last 1000 mi I shouldn't have run the tire.  The front is already badly trapezoided as well.  Both tires had the "grind marks" on the sides of the tread like a track tire, like they've gotten really hot.  I thought these would last 15K, or at least 10.  I am running 40f/42r just like I did with the stockers, and I checked it every day.  What do you guys run for pressures?  Or did I just overload them?  I figure with me, her and our stuff we were between 500-525 total weight on the bike.  Too much for them?  Trying to diagnose what happened.
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F

Offline Cybercraig

• Sprayboy-Services
Re: What pressures for 17"
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 10:33:52 PM »
I'm running mine at 40lbs rear and 40 lbs front. I think 7K is about average mileage for a Dunlop rear. I usually get 12k out of a Dunlop front. I'll check and see what the Mean streak manual says for tire pressure.

Yup, the guys at the Meanie sight say 40lbs - 40lbs.  ;)
'98 becoming more farkled up by the minute.

R.I.P. Steve Earl  "Mr. FJR"

Offline turtle

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 08:17:03 AM »
Rick,

I run about 40F/40-42R.  Seems to work pretty well.  I run the Avons so I can't comment directly on the Roadsmarts, but I have plenty of friends who run them and the life they get is more along the lines of 5-8k.  I get about 8k from the Avons. HTH.
Bill
COG #1916
2001 C10 (lots of mods)

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 08:29:46 PM »
Rick,
I have yet to find anything better then the 42 / 42 for me. But I just replaced a Roadsmart front on my 01, and it was terrible, I only got 8k out of her, and it was bad.
 You were at the top of the max load, and your preasures seem to be in line with most on here. Maybe it is time to replace bearings, and do you have a front fork stabilizer on your bike. It gets me better handeling and better wear on the frints, but the Roadsmart I believe is just not a good match for the Concours. JMHO.
Hope this helps, ride safe all.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 09:40:59 PM »
Well, talking to people, I got about what was expected.  I think I'm going to stick it out another month or two on the roadsmart front, then put a PR3 on it when rainy season hits.  I figure a PR2/PR3 combo shouldn't be too bad, then I'll put a PR3 on the rear for the second half of the front's life.  The roadsmart wasn't that bad a tire really.  It never slid out on me or anything, it just wore fast and weird.  It is the lowest priced sport touring tire in my size - can't be by accident.
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F

Offline KenE

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 10:02:21 AM »
Got 11 k from a roadsmart rear, but it was mostly just me and an overnight bag.  Still not bad. No braking skids, wet tar slides etc that the old pilot gt's served up on occaision...
Run 40f/42r.

Running Pirelli angels right now, no complaints.
 The pr3's sound interesting, especially the front. Siping is cool.
KenE

Offline turtle

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 11:15:48 AM »
The more I talk to people with Roadsmarts the more I hear about poor life and the same trapezoidal wear,especially on the front.  Sounds like your experience is typical.
Bill
COG #1916
2001 C10 (lots of mods)