Author Topic: Windshield/Bar Risers install question  (Read 2167 times)

Offline Conhardcore

• 2011 Concours 14 Black
Windshield/Bar Risers install question
« on: July 09, 2011, 04:21:07 PM »
I had the dealer do both of these things when I took it for the first service, (remove the risers and add the Cee Baileys WS.)  My, what I'm sure are very simple questions, are:

-Since I will likely experiment with various WS's as I do with all bikes, and didn't swap this one out, I'm wondering if the back bracket on the WS is attached with an adhesive of some type.  I used a 4mm allen to remove the screws and the front bracket came off but the WS was firmly still in place.  There was a rubber washer behind bracket on the back and what appeared to be so kind of adhesive so I didn't want to force the WS off.

-For the handlebars, how do you remove the black plastic bolt covers on the six bolts securing them to the bike.  I know, lame question, and it seems obvious that it's pop a flat head in and pop them out, but there isn't a good place to get under them and not wanting to ding them all up trying to dig them out should I decide to put the risers back on at some point.

Thanks

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
Re: Windshield/Bar Risers install question
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 04:52:26 PM »
Honestly, both projects are so simple I'm amazed anyone would have them done by the dealer. Changing a WS is barely 5 minutes, start to finish, without any rushing things.

On my 2010 there's no adhesive but there is a gasket that can be a little sticky.

As for the caps, use a small flat blade of dental pick to get under an edge and pop them out. Really, if you ding them up some tiny amount (they're plastic), really who cares?

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 06:51:18 PM »
There are 3 bolts per side for the windscreen... the 3rd is behind the plastic bit. Just pull the plastic and rubber gasket and you'll find those extra screws. And those ones are 5mm, just to be different.

The rubber gasket between the WS and the lift mechanism is even "stickier" than the ones on the front, but fear not, and peel the WS slowly, and they should stay on the lift mechanism.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 07:14:20 PM »
-Since I will likely experiment with various WS's as I do with all bikes, and didn't swap this one out, I'm wondering if the back bracket on the WS is attached with an adhesive of some type.

No, there is no adhesive.  But the gasket can stick a bit... just pull on it.

-For the handlebars, how do you remove the black plastic bolt covers on the six bolts securing them to the bike.

I used a dental pick with a sharp, pointed and angled tip.  I also lost one of the stupid things and it cost something like $5 from the dealer to order one!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conhardcore

• 2011 Concours 14 Black
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 10:39:16 PM »
Thanks guys.