Author Topic: Funny conversation I had with a couple riding from Canada...  (Read 6719 times)

Offline Strawboss

Re: Funny conversation I had with a couple riding from Canada...
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2011, 08:04:17 PM »
Danny, I never got the idea from any of the responses that not riding a lot somehow makes you a wuss or a non-rider. Look at the majority of the types of bikes sold, cruisers make up the majority of the bikes sold here, not usually thought of first to get on and ride 1000 miles at a time, its done though. This forum is a sport-touring place, most folks here ride a bit more on the Concours. And, more than a few here have cruisers as second bikes. We joke, but its not intended to offend.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Glenn

• 2011 Concours14, 1984 KZ1100R, 2008 KLR685
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2011, 08:18:03 PM »
+1 ;)

Danny, I never got the idea from any of the responses that not riding a lot somehow makes you a wuss or a non-rider. Look at the majority of the types of bikes sold, cruisers make up the majority of the bikes sold here, not usually thought of first to get on and ride 1000 miles at a time, its done though. This forum is a sport-touring place, most folks here ride a bit more on the Concours. And, more than a few here have cruisers as second bikes. We joke, but its not intended to offend.
"Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence."

Offline DannyL

• PJF4x4
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2011, 09:04:09 PM »

I'm not offended in the least, I was just pointing out time is a luxury to some folks. Other folks just want to putt around, they couldn't fathom the idea of riding long distances in a short span of time. Myself I like to ride like i'm always late even if i'm not!

Offline timmerz

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2011, 04:28:45 PM »
I just love riding, and do not tend to get caught up in the macho "I can ride better than you can!" environment when I'm out with buddies or alone....I absolutely will not  answer a challenge, most of the time I'll just say, "You guys go on ahead, I'm just here to enjoy the ride and the scenery...."
Sometimes the entire day's ride is from my place to work and then back home, sometimes it's 4 hours, 6 hours or 8 hours to some remote location, then hang out in the hotel pool and get some R & R, then back home the next day...all done at my own pace, enjoying the 2 wheels the entire way....

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2011, 10:49:32 AM »
A friend on this forum once told me a similar story of a member of his family, you know the type, black company t-shirts, socks, shoes, hats, stickers on their cars, optional company package on their Ford truck, the whole smear. He had just returned from a 600 mile day and was at a family function where this member was telling about how much they ride, "well", she says". "We ride a lot", "we make it a Sunday thing", "Oh really, my friend says". "Oh, yeah, we get out and ride at least a whole hour every week". Funny. But they ride, thats good. But funny. I guess we must be mileage snobs.
Maybe they ride a super fast bike.  When they ride the ride at WFO.  They may only ride an hour but they traveled 200miles ::)
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline billhook

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2011, 01:03:30 PM »
A friend on this forum once told me a similar story of a member of his family, you know the type, black company t-shirts, socks, shoes, hats, stickers on their cars, optional company package on their Ford truck, the whole smear. He had just returned from a 600 mile day and was at a family function where this member was telling about how much they ride, "well", she says". "We ride a lot", "we make it a Sunday thing", "Oh really, my friend says". "Oh, yeah, we get out and ride at least a whole hour every week". Funny. But they ride, thats good. But funny. I guess we must be mileage snobs.

I'm not saying I know these people or the unnamed forum member, but... 

I don't know about their socks (but I wouldn't be surprised if they did), but you forgot belts and high dollar, full leather riding apparel.

All that for an hour per week?  I guess I just don't get it.

Offline alexx45

• 2009 Black C14
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2011, 01:53:59 PM »
+1 could not have said this better myself. Quantity vs Quality. If your riding & your smiling you must be doing something right.

I just love riding, and do not tend to get caught up in the macho "I can ride better than you can!" environment when I'm out with buddies or alone....I absolutely will not  answer a challenge, most of the time I'll just say, "You guys go on ahead, I'm just here to enjoy the ride and the scenery...."
Sometimes the entire day's ride is from my place to work and then back home, sometimes it's 4 hours, 6 hours or 8 hours to some remote location, then hang out in the hotel pool and get some R & R, then back home the next day...all done at my own pace, enjoying the 2 wheels the entire way....
Life is good.... At least from my perspective.
2009 Concours 14
2005 Suzuki Bandit

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2011, 10:09:39 AM »
Funny when you told it to me Bill, I was paraphrasing. Still funny.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Tim

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2011, 08:06:22 PM »
When I got my first motorcycle I could only do 200 miles max. Then I had to get off for  the day. It was a Kawaski 350 triple. It was fast and fun but it was like riding with a gas weed eater in each hand.  :P   My Z-1's were a joy to go all day with and now the C-14 goes for long periods of time. A 150 miles isn't even worth it.
I don't always ride a street bike. But when I do, it's a Concours. Ride safely my friend.

Offline vman

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2011, 08:32:29 AM »
obviously thats not a lot of distance but if they were sight seeing or stopping for all the local attractions and not in a hurry to get anywhere then that could work.  Age and medical could be a factor too.    Or they dont have a GPS and are checking maps a lot or topping up a gas tank in foear of running out.   Being a Canadian and recently in los angeles and washington it is amazing the choices of roads you guys have there.   Too bad about your gas prices wanting to synchornize with us!!!