Poll

Have you ever walked away from your C14 with the lights still on and killed the battery?

Never!
34 (72.3%)
More than once (I'm a slow learner)
2 (4.3%)
Came close a few times
1 (2.1%)
Only once so far
10 (21.3%)
Thanks for reminding me! [disappears towards parking lot]
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: Ever Killed the Battery?  (Read 7491 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Ever Killed the Battery?
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2011, 05:33:36 AM »
It's conditioning! I do it that way every-time. I use the kill switch to keep myself trained for instinct. If an emergency arises, my instinct may be to shut the bike down without having to think about it.

That is a good point.  I doubt my hand would know where the kill switch was or be ready  to use it if needed.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2011, 06:02:45 AM »
Yep.  The kill switch is there for an emergency only.  It really should not be used to turn off the bike under normal use.  And probably the best reason not to do so is what this thread is all about.

If you always use the ignition switch (key) to turn off the bike, you will never accidentally leave the bike "on".

That's not what the MSF says.

I always shut er down with the key and have never killed the battery on the bike. Not so in the car though.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2011, 06:03:21 AM »
I find it interesting that one-third of us have done this . . . at this point. My bet is that a few "nevers" will eventually end up needing to vote differently.

I use the big key usually to shut down, just forgot to turn it this time and since the key stays in there, it's easy for this chain of circumstances to happen. Any other bike, you take the key with you.

Bob

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2011, 08:32:36 AM »
I don't recall if anybody has mentioned that this could happen on any bike, if your not in the habit of always taking the key out of the ignition. So this may just be amplified because of KIPASS.

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2011, 01:08:45 PM »
I don't recall if anybody has mentioned that this could happen on any bike, if your not in the habit of always taking the key out of the ignition. So this may just be amplified because of KIPASS.

There it is!   :deadhorse:

;D
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250