Author Topic: Bent swingarm  (Read 4918 times)

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
Re: Bent swingarm
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2017, 02:32:02 PM »
still cant get my head around more than 8/9 k miles tops from a  large capacity sports tourer (ok I once managed just over 10k on an ST1100 but that was running a set of Michelin Macadams which were horrible hard & nasty and feck all use in the wet)

Weather wise , you're right on the whole we dont have the regular extremes (that said we've had nearly a week in the high 20's[low 80's]).

We also dont have a lot of concrete type roads, a lot of of them (especially in the nicer twistier places)  are tarmac with grit/gravel in plus in some areas such as the North of scotland a lot of Shellgrip /high grip  road surfaces).

Street outside my house still has cobblestones (but thats a rarity, mostly they've been tarmacced over) :)

We've also got a lot higher traffic density generally so a lot of the time you are on/off the throttle and generally having fun , long open stretches are a rarity ;)

--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2017, 02:36:01 PM »
if anyone gets bored

http://www.standardsforhighways.co.uk/ha/standards/dmrb/vol7/section5/hd3606.pdf

The choice of surfacing materials/systems plays a
vital role in providing roads that meet the needs of the
user, are safe and give value for money. For many years
hot rolled asphalt with chippings rolled into the surface
was the most widely used surfacing on trunk roads,
including motorways, for both new construction and
major maintenance. However, recent years have seen
the development of new materials and techniques, many
of which are proprietary, which offer significant
advantages not just to the road user but also to the
environment. For example, noise generation may be
reduced, delays at road works curtailed, ride quality
improved and deformation resistance enhanced, all
while maintaining existing safety levels. Furthermore,
new products such as energy efficient ‘cold-lay’
materials are in their development phase. This Chapter
gives guidance on the range of surfacing options that
are now availabl
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2017, 03:14:10 PM »
I'll bet you're so super smooth with that throttle, you've never got a ticket!
 ;D

I wouldn't say I am that smooth, but if you mean I don't slip the tires, you are right.  Plus the 2011 has traction control :)

As for tickets, yeah, I have been pretty lucky.  Last speeding ticket was something like 25 years ago I think.  Generally I do the standard "take 5 over" in most places and "take 10 over" in other places.

I would never say I drove 120MPH in a 55 last weekend for a short while, hitting redline near WOT in every gear to 5, since that would be crazy driving....
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2017, 03:16:43 PM »
On the other hand 18,000 miles (or just shy of 29,000 km) sounds (no offence intended) like a  pile of <insert epithet of choice>

Are you calling me a liar?  Hard not to take offense at that.  What exactly would be my motivation to making up numbers?  I am certainly not alone in getting good mileage, I have seen even higher numbers than mine.  It isn't a contest or game, I just replace the tires when needed and posted the data as informational.

As I said before, there are lots of factors that contribute to tire mileage/life, some of the biggest being the type of pavement being used.  I also am only 150lbs, don't spin-out, don't brake to ABS levels, ride all year long (meaning colder/harder rubber for many of the miles), keep tires at 42psi as close as possible all the time, and keep the bike sheltered/covered at home.  Otherwise, I accelerate hard most of the time and corner pretty aggressively much of the time.

It is what it is.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2017, 04:23:21 PM »
Let's get back to bent swing arms, please.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2017, 05:19:02 PM »

I think the general armchair consensus (even by the owner) is that there is/was/could be no bent swing arm or other suspension part.

Offline O.C.

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2017, 02:54:50 AM »
I may be going out on a limb here, but I'm gonna say it "your swing arm aint bent"  no way  :)   
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2017, 04:56:39 AM »
Bent Shaft Drive/housing.........? :yikes:

Can't see that happening in a tip over..... maybe at 160Km/H into a brick wall yes, but not a tip over....

Then again..... I'm a sparky by trade, not a mechanic...... just saying.... :popcorn: :popcorn: :chugbeer:
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline RanchoFM

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2017, 07:17:20 AM »

Whew, sure am glad THAT got reined in.

I installed the highly controversial 10k PR2 right after I got the bike. ~3k of those miles were taken up in two trips to the OBX, so a lot of highway slog. I didn't ride it aggressively at all early on because I had never ridden a bike this heavy before, so there was a learning curve for me. Also, I did not change out the front PR2 that came with the bike, and I have no idea how many miles were on that. I didn't fully trust the handling until...

I installed the PR3's (55 profile rear). It was the proverbial night & day/brand new bike/blah blah blah revelation that we read here so often. So, I'm thinking maybe what I'm seeing is tire wear that I didn't expect as a result of me being more comfortable with the bike and a lot less highway riding.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2017, 03:36:56 PM »
It was the proverbial night & day/brand new bike/blah blah blah revelation that we read here so often. So, I'm thinking maybe what I'm seeing is tire wear

I can't believe how much the bike handing changes as the tires- ANY TIRES- wear.... especially when it is mostly slab miles and it wears the center portion flat.  The PR4GT handled it far, far, far better than the stock Bridgestones (which had beyond freaky handling with them to the point I replaced them before they were even worn out; the sides scalloped a lot on those too, which didn't happen at all on the PR4GT).  So some of your WOW will just be the any-new-tire factor.  Have fun!