Author Topic: NOT POLITICAL! Just saw the inaugural ceremony and had to comment....  (Read 7316 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Seriously, this is not a political posting or thread (I hope). I am only posting this here because if I were to say it out- loud, in earshot of other humans, it would instantly degenerate into a divisive and probably loud argument involving just about everyone. It may degenerate here as well but then Jim will lock the thread and it will not hurt my ears along the way. :-)

Just watched the inauguration and was quite pleased to see the elder Statesman Bob Dole and Elizabeth sitting in the back of the platform at the ceremony, and was especially pleased to see him receive so many personal and warm greetings from the other politicians there, regardless of political party. I have always had a lot of respect and admiration for Mr. Dole; not so much for his politics but rather for the man himself; a brave citizen who performed above and beyond when called to duty in WWII, a very brave patient after being badly wounded in that war and then spending many years undergoing multiple surgeries and therapy to help him recover as much as he had (he never did regain much use of his right arm or hand). And now to see him alive and although not in great health but well enough to attend this ceremony at 93 was just great. And I can never think of his without remembering Daniel Inouye, another hero from the same era who overcame even larger obstacles to spend virtually his entire life in public service. Unfortunately Mr. Inouye died in 2012 . I think it could make a fantastic book if the biographies of the two men were written in an interleaved style, which would actually make a bit of sense because they spent to much time together recovering from their war injuries; they were actually friends from the mid- 40's on even though they were on opposite 'sides of the aisle' (different political parties).

By the way, my wife and youngest son were in attendance; you might have seen them? They were the regular, average looking people standing on the Mall watching Jumbotron 'cause they could not get w/in a country mile of the actual event.  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: NOT POLITICAL! Just saw the inaugural ceremony and had to comment....
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 12:11:52 PM »
Were they the ones wearing the hoodies and bandanas?

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 02:17:58 PM »
And...3...2...1   :1DeadBanana
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 02:48:32 PM »
I do not think so- my wife does not usually wear a hat, my son never wore a hat except when required per U.o.t.D., and then it is called a cap I believe, and none of my family members wears or has  ever worn a bandana to the best of my knowledge.

I do not believe either my wife or either of my sons wears hoodies either. I do have and wear a hoodie occasionally though- they are great for keeping snow out of one's neck / throat area when snow-blowing. But I only have that one because it was the 'gift apparel' for riding in that year's Minuteman 1000, a local 1,000 mile in 24 hour rally that makes a loop through all six New England states.

Not really sure what you meant by your post but I do not think too many bandana or / or hoodie wearing folk were at the 2017 US Presidential inauguration. Perhaps you are thinking of somewhere / sometime / some event other than that?

But again, it was still a treat for me to see Bob Dole alive and <more or less> well. Certainly of sound enough mind and body to attend an outside, winter event. As I said, I have always found Mr. Dole to be a pretty good human; even his quirks, such as speaking in the third- person, are unusual enough to be amusing but certainly not 'whack- job' insane. I think Bob leaves that position open for others to occupy....

Brian (sans hat, hoodie and bandana also)

Were they the ones wearing the hoodies and bandanas?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 04:25:17 PM »
Didn't mean anything by it. Happened to be watching the news feeds when I read your post and it was just an offbeat comment. No offense meant.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 06:11:57 PM »
I did not take any offense Gary, just not sure I caught the meaning of your post.

I just happened to catch the actual inauguration and happened to see the 'A- listers' leaving, with most of them turning left and speaking with an elderly gentleman sitting down, which is why I happened to see Bob Dole at all. In fact, I had not seen him in so long, and he has aged enough that I did not recognize him immediately but rather recognized Elizabeth Dole standing next to him and then realized who it was sitting there.

And seeing as we are discussing this and the thread is not locked (at least not yet), let me also comment on George H.W. Bush's letter to Mr. Trump: of course we cannot tell but it certainly does read like a letter actually written by the senior Mr. Bush (rather than some aide or assistant). I thought it was a first- rate, 'class act' of a note that contained absolutely no politics, no digs of any kind and certainly seemed genuine, at least to my ears (eyes). In these recent years of divisive and frankly obnoxious behavior from so many, it is really nice to see someone able to rise above the noise and just write a decent note of regard to someone else without any additional..... "stuff". Which is why I posted this here on this forum in the first place- one of the kinder, gentler forums that I am aware of (not that I frequent very many altogether). Note quoted below:

“Dear Donald, Barbara and I are so sorry we can’t be there for your Inauguration on January 20th. My doctor says if I sit outside in January, it likely will put me six feet under. Same for Barbara. So I guess we’re stuck in Texas. But we will be with you and the country in spirit. I want you to know that I wish you the very best as you begin this incredible journey of leading our great country. If I can ever be of help, please let me know.”

Like I said, a class act IMO.

Brian

Didn't mean anything by it. Happened to be watching the news feeds when I read your post and it was just an offbeat comment. No offense meant.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 06:17:05 AM »
Having lived in Kansas during Dole's tenure there I can say that I don't share your affection for him Brian. That doesn't mean I wish him ill will though. 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 10:12:08 AM »
I hear ya'. I was not reflecting on the man's politics or performance as a politician, just his performance as a human. I have the same thought about Inouye as you do about Dole regarding politics (not a fan) but I cannot help but have tremendous respect for the man and his life.

That is why I posted NOT POLITICAL in the title: I know I was posting about a politician interacting with other politicians at a political event but I was really only commenting on the person, not his politics or political history.

Brian

Having lived in Kansas during Dole's tenure there I can say that I don't share your affection for him Brian. That doesn't mean I wish him ill will though.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 05:42:43 AM »
I hear ya'. I was not reflecting on the man's politics or performance as a politician, just his performance as a human. I have the same thought about Inouye as you do about Dole regarding politics (not a fan) but I cannot help but have tremendous respect for the man and his life.

That is why I posted NOT POLITICAL in the title: I know I was posting about a politician interacting with other politicians at a political event but I was really only commenting on the person, not his politics or political history.

Brian

I know, I know. I tried not to make a political comment considering what your thread was really about. I just couldn't help myself.

On the plus side of my comment. If my wife and I hadn't moved out of Kansas when we did we certainly wouldn't be in the position we are today and I might have turned out to be a supporter of Trump.    :o   (oops there I go again, sorry   ;) )

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 08:17:56 AM »
The election and inauguration are now over.  I think we all should wish the president well.  Generally if the president does a good job, the nation reaps the benefits. I thought the day was great in that *most* politicians put aside their differences for a brief moment.  Seeing the outgoing and incoming administrations interact, there was no ill will between them.  Just a smooth transition of power which occurs every 4 years.  A civics lesson for the world, actually.
Those who opposed Obama survived 8 years of his policies.  Those who oppose Trump will survive his 4 years (or 8, time will tell).
I hold out hope that this is a man who has no allegiance to any particular group or political party and can take the best ideas of both sides and put them to work for America.  Time will prove me right or wrong, but I do not wish this nor any other president to fail.  After all, we all want what's best for our country, we just have different ideas of what that might be and how to achieve it.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2017, 08:39:39 AM »
The election and inauguration are now over.  I think we all should wish the president well.  Generally if the president does a good job, the nation reaps the benefits. I thought the day was great in that *most* politicians put aside their differences for a brief moment.  Seeing the outgoing and incoming administrations interact, there was no ill will between them.  Just a smooth transition of power which occurs every 4 years.  A civics lesson for the world, actually.
Those who opposed Obama survived 8 years of his policies.  Those who oppose Trump will survive his 4 years (or 8, time will tell).
I hold out hope that this is a man who has no allegiance to any particular group or political party and can take the best ideas of both sides and put them to work for America.  Time will prove me right or wrong, but I do not wish this nor any other president to fail.  After all, we all want what's best for our country, we just have different ideas of what that might be and how to achieve it.

I agree and hope that Trump is the best damned president that this county has ever had...

Brian, again my apologies.

I don't think that it's possible to comment on a politician as a person without bringing politics into the discussion. At least not around this place.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2017, 10:32:27 AM »
I agree with you about the political comments, and there is no need to apologize: when I made the original post I was trying to avoid the truly awful, antagonistic, downright nasty behavior shown lately by so much of the US, not anything such as your comments which were perfectly fine IMO. My point was to comment on an 'Elder Statesman' without having this thread degenerate into a circus in about ten seconds and IMO, it has been entirely successful.

So my compliments to the usual suspects (the regular members) around here who have shown more than sufficient manners to have this thread open for several days without anyone calling anyone else something..... atrocious! Seriously, I think this is one of the few forums where this thread could even exist as it has, which is why I posted it here in the first place. As I said, my wife and son attended the inauguration and some of the behavior there was just awful and frankly, very disappointing. She came home last night with a LOT of females wearing red and I guess the obnoxiousness continued through the airports and the flight. <sigh>

As an aside, I have mentioned this very same thought (it was great to see one of the WWII generation leaders alive and reasonably well at 93) to a few very small groups of people I associate with in person and it has degenerated into a cesspool every single time. So let me expand on the original post just a bit more:

In 1936, FDR made a speech in Philadelphia, PA, accepting his nomination to run for the presidency of the US in the upcoming election. This is a quote from that speech:

"There is a mysterious cycle in human events. To some generations much is given. Of other generations much is expected. This generation of Americans has a rendezvous with destiny."

That generation of Americans would face the two greatest challenges of that century, and perhaps for all of our history: The Great Depression and World War II. Much was asked of that generation both during the depression and the war, much was given to that generation in the form of a better life and far greater material wealth after WWII and certainly they did have a rendezvous with destiny in that they shaped the post- war world and put it on the course that led us to where we are now (which I think is a pretty good place, overall, actually a great place in most ways). Bob Dole was a representative of all phases of that generation's contributions, and he showed, IMO, more courage, more ability and a pretty fierce tenacity that personifies the best of that generation, at least to me. And I am happy he lived long enough to see the entire cycle and the US's continued success, thanks in no small part to both his generation generally, and people just like him who 'rose to the occasion' and did more..... much more, than the minimum they could have to 'get by'. And they are nearing extinction simply becuase so many years have passed since those events, which is what pleased me most about seeing Mr. Dole at the inauguration.

Brian

I agree and hope that Trump is the best damned president that this county has ever had...

Brian, again my apologies.

I don't think that it's possible to comment on a politician as a person without bringing politics into the discussion. At least not around this place.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 04:26:56 AM »
Well said, Brian.

Offline sanmo

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2017, 08:20:18 AM »
Aha...So a weak-ass disclaimer is all that's needed to stop a mercurial moderator from unsheathing his censoring sword. Contrast this with the heavy-handed treatment of some light-hearted jest towards the end of this thread: http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=22073.msg273953#msg273953 .
Not a big deal. Just your friendly neighborhood anarchist tossing a lit firecracker into this group hug. lol
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2017, 09:45:51 AM »
I am disappointed- I thought my disclaimer was full- assed if not strong- assed. I will work on that in the future.

Brian

Aha...So a weak-ass disclaimer is all that's needed to stop a mercurial moderator from unsheathing his censoring sword. Contrast this with the heavy-handed treatment of some light-hearted jest towards the end of this thread: http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=22073.msg273953#msg273953 .
Not a big deal. Just your friendly neighborhood anarchist tossing a lit firecracker into this group hug. lol

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2017, 12:00:12 PM »

Mercurial? Really?....I will tolerate this kind of talk about max' ('cause he's got thick skin and is fun to pick on)....but if you're referring to V'Jim....then that ain't no firecracker...that's TNT!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2017, 01:57:02 PM »
I am disappointed- I thought my disclaimer was full- assed if not strong- assed. I will work on that in the future.

Brian

See that you do..

Mercurial? Really?....I will tolerate this kind of talk about max' ('cause he's got thick skin and is fun to pick on)....but if you're referring to V'Jim....then that ain't no firecracker...that's TNT!

;D
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline sanmo

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2017, 03:59:41 PM »

Brian

Aim for Minajesque dimensions. Customary "Easy Boys!" thrown in, never to be seen again. :-)
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2017, 05:46:06 PM »
Aim for Minajesque dimensions. Customary "Easy Boys!" thrown in, never to be seen again. :-)

Never go full Kardashian.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2017, 05:58:59 AM »

Never go full Kardashian.

With the sheer scale of these dimensions one could indeed go half assed and still have PLENTY to go around.