Author Topic: kipass activation switch cleaning....  (Read 6928 times)

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
kipass activation switch cleaning....
« on: June 30, 2011, 05:27:52 PM »
It seems the heat and constant dust of Kansas has my kipass activation switch sticking.  Now I have to shoot my bike with thousands of rounds of ammo and throw it away for something more reliable!  JK  ;D

Has anyone successfully taken the switch apart to clean it.  If so, any pointers, tips or pictures of the process?  If not, has any one had any luck with just spraying Houdini or something similar in the ignition to achieve the same?  I tried to get the cached page with pictures of B.D.F.'s Kipass Bypass thread but to no avail.  Sadly the cached pages are falling by the wayside.  :'(  By the way, I have only taken the stove knob out once just to see what it looked like in the 23K miles I have had the bike for.  I suppose dust and what not is able to get into the activation switch even with the stove knob staying put. 
T.S.R.

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
Re: kipass activation switch cleaning....
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 05:37:58 PM »
Looking around some more, I found pics of the Kipass Bypass here.  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=236.0

Now if someone has taken the switch apart to clean/lube?
T.S.R.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 06:22:16 PM »
I have not had mine out but have seen photos of other C-14's with the ign. switch accessed- it looks somewhat painful to get to and you have to drill out a couple of tamper- proof screws on the underside of the ign. switch housing.

Given your situation, I would try hosing the inside of the ign. switch housing, specifically on the left side where the activation switch is, with something like silicone spray while pressing the switch down repeatedly. It <may> free up and you have little to lose other than a half- can of silicone at this point.

The by- pass will work and get you around being stuck but of course it is not a fix but a temporary way to get around a stuck switch. The factory fix seems to be a heavier spring installed under the original switch.

Best of luck with it.

Brian

It seems the heat and constant dust of Kansas has my kipass activation switch sticking.  Now I have to shoot my bike with thousands of rounds of ammo and throw it away for something more reliable!  JK  ;D

Has anyone successfully taken the switch apart to clean it.  If so, any pointers, tips or pictures of the process?  If not, has any one had any luck with just spraying Houdini or something similar in the ignition to achieve the same?  I tried to get the cached page with pictures of B.D.F.'s Kipass Bypass thread but to no avail.  Sadly the cached pages are falling by the wayside.  :'(  By the way, I have only taken the stove knob out once just to see what it looked like in the 23K miles I have had the bike for.  I suppose dust and what not is able to get into the activation switch even with the stove knob staying put.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Bob

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 06:48:06 PM »
I use to spray mine heavily with silicone spray. Pay particular attention to the 9 o'clock position. It runs down and lubed the activation switch. It would help mine immensely when it started acting up. But after three years, I think the dirt and crap built up and started hurting the switch/spring return. Then it wouldn't return at all, period. Kawasaki had to then take the switch apart to clean it and get it working. Too bad they wouldn't fix it with the new spring then also.
 So the moral of the story is that lubing the switch will work. But it may only put off the inevitable until a future time. Then you will have to take it apart.

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 04:42:22 AM »
Well, I have a trip coming up at the end of next week, so I will just hose her down.  If that doesn't work I'll just be taking off the cover panel to unplug and the grey connector.  The dealer wont fix it in my time frame I am sure since I am still awaiting warranty rotor.  If it continues to give me issues, I'll have them look at it after my trip.
T.S.R.

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 10:48:06 AM »
I haven't done this, so take that for what it's worth. But I would be careful what you spray into the switch. Some "magical" spray lubes have a tendency to gum things up and attract more dirt. If it leaves a residue (try it first where you can check) you probably don't want it down there.

I think I would recommend something like LPS1 (something like that; I may have the name slightly wrong as I'm at the office so can't look at the can I have on the shelf). It's intended for electronic switches and cleans/lubes without any lube buildup. Was recommended to me a few decades ago by an electronics tech and I've had good luck with it.

Have to look around for it though. Radio Shack might have.

Offline tthompsr

• 2009 Black Concours
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 11:31:57 AM »
I haven't done this, so take that for what it's worth. But I would be careful what you spray into the switch. Some "magical" spray lubes have a tendency to gum things up and attract more dirt. If it leaves a residue (try it first where you can check) you probably don't want it down there.

I think I would recommend something like LPS1 (something like that; I may have the name slightly wrong as I'm at the office so can't look at the can I have on the shelf). It's intended for electronic switches and cleans/lubes without any lube buildup. Was recommended to me a few decades ago by an electronics tech and I've had good luck with it.

+1 LPS1 is good stuff!

Bob

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 01:10:35 PM »

Do not use WD-40 in/on locks (or guns). It will gum them up!

Offline davidnixon

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 03:52:45 PM »
for what it is worth - KiPass left me stranded at work (yikes) on Friday afternoon, what a surprise.  solution was compressed air AND  silicone spray, seems to be working like the ol' KiPass now
'09 CONC
'98 CONC (sold)
'98 CR 250

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 07:47:17 PM »
No way in hell I would put silicone spray down there.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 08:09:40 PM »
If you have to take it to the dealer and the warranty will only pay for them to take it apart and clean and put the old spring back in than why don't you but the newer spring and have them put it in instead of the old one after they clean, shouldn't cost you anything if the tear apart and reassemble is covered under warranty.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Taff

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 08:10:54 PM »
Don't use WD-40 or silicone spray down the ignition switch, as this will attract dust and does not provide a long term solution.

The best stuff I use which is available from auto parts stores or online is Liquid Wrench L512 Dry Lubricant, Aerosol, 11 oz.
My local auto parts store carries this and is great going on. When you use this lubricant shake the can first. There doesn't seem to be any lubricant coming out of the nozzle but trust me it does the trick.

Hope you find the best solution for your needs.

Jon.

Taff

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 08:11:45 PM »
No way in hell I would put silicone spray down there.

+1

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 09:59:31 PM »
I'd put the '10, '11, or '12 spring in it tho  :D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Breaker19

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2012, 11:00:32 AM »
Astro Glide works well.... whoops... wrong forum! lol

:yikes: :loco: :rotflmao:

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2012, 11:01:58 AM »
Astro Glide works well.... whoops... wrong forum! lol

:yikes: :loco: :rotflmao:

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline davidnixon

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2012, 11:09:57 AM »
can I source the new spring from kawi?  thx for the heads up on silicone spray...........
'09 CONC
'98 CONC (sold)
'98 CR 250

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2012, 11:19:41 AM »
Those of you in this thread that have had sticking issues, what year model Connie do you have?
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline davidnixon

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2012, 08:10:18 PM »
'09 w/12k miles, 10k by me this year (so far)
'09 CONC
'98 CONC (sold)
'98 CR 250

Offline davidnixon

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2012, 08:10:52 PM »
no other issues...
'09 CONC
'98 CONC (sold)
'98 CR 250