Author Topic: Lost my primary FOB, dammit  (Read 7509 times)

Offline PlaynInPeoria

Lost my primary FOB, dammit
« on: October 27, 2016, 06:35:01 PM »
Looks like a new FOB from Ron Ayers and a trip to the Stealer is in order.   Is there a way to get the Ktech software and do it myself?  I have a file I got on here that describes the procedure, but it's for a 2008 or so and mine is a 2012.

Thanks!
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
Re: Lost my primary FOB, dammit
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 06:47:43 PM »
No way around the fact that you need a KDS device to register the new FOB to the bike. They are pricey.. around  $600 and up (used) and then you have to order the correct  cables. 2008 and 2012 uses different cables but the same KDS unit. I have done a couple myself. My friend has one.
You do have the backup RF ID fob correct (the little flat one)?  Without the second  FOB  you are in deep trouble because you still need to be able to start the bike to be able to run a KDS

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-Diagnostic-System-Version-3-with-Cables-KDS-57001-1648-/311727652869?hash=item48946a8005:g:fAgAAOSwo4pYD5Ny&vxp=mtr
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 08:22:48 PM »
Well, I can get it done at the dealer for an hour's labor, no need to spend $600.

I do have the passive fob.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 08:29:28 PM »
Excellent. You should get an extra passive fob and have  it done too. I keep one hidden on my bike just in case 
http://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/p/kawasaki/21175-0256/spare-fob-key
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline O.C.

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 03:24:36 AM »
Looks like a new FOB from Ron Ayers and a trip to the Stealer is in order.   Is there a way to get the Ktech software and do it myself?  I have a file I got on here that describes the procedure, but it's for a 2008 or so and mine is a 2012.

Thanks!

I lost my FOB  a couple of months ago, and had to replace it with one from my dealer.

The fob cost 185.00 GBP
Key cost            9.00 GBP
Labour which included pairing the FOB to my bike 50.00 GBP

No need for any cables etc  ;)   
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline Conrad

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 04:57:56 AM »
Care to share with the class how you lost your fob? That way maybe we can avoid doing the same thing and maybe have a laugh at your expense?   ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline O.C.

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 06:54:53 AM »
Care to share with the class how you lost your fob? That way maybe we can avoid doing the same thing and maybe have a laugh at your expense?   ;)

Simple really..I left it attached to some keys in the lock on my top box....the rest as they say is history  :-[

FYI...it is now securely fastened inside a zip pocket in my riding jacket and not to any other keys relating to my bike ....lesson learned   ;)     
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 08:04:39 AM »

I was getting ready to ride and had the bike running. I was in and out of the bags and set the fob down on the seat. Forgot about it and got my jacket on and rode off.  After a while, it slid under my butt as I was riding and I felt it. I stood up on the seat and reached back, felt nothing.  Seconds later I felt something hit my right foot, thought nothing of it, I was doing about 80 on the highway trying to make it to an event in the Eureka IL, next town over from mine (group picture to show support for Ben Cubs player Ben Zobrist, he is from that town).   A couple of minutes later, the red "no transponder" light comes on and I realize I am screwed.  Turn around and head back and walk the ditch for a half mile in both directions.

There, I did it, learn from my mistake.  Now be polite and don't tell me what I should have done.  I'm out about $300 because of my mistake and I don't need to hear what I should have done. I am aware I screwed up, the last thing I need right now is to be told how dumb I am.  There are umpteen threads about how to not lose your fob, so if people want to know how not to, they can use the search function.

Offline BackInTheSaddle

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 08:33:47 AM »
Can a 2008 fob be reprogrammed to work with your 2012?
Don, Apple Valley, MN
2008 C-14 ABS, AeroFlow Tall, Murph's risers with wedges, Buell pegs, Zumo 590, lowered pegs, Russell Day-Long
Previous bikes 2001 Kawi C10 (RIP), and 1981 Honda CB650
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab353/DonaldHollinger/MOTO/Map_zpse09bb1e5

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 08:45:11 AM »
I was getting ready to ride and had the bike running. I was in and out of the bags and set the fob down on the seat. Forgot about it and got my jacket on and rode off.  After a while, it slid under my butt as I was riding and I felt it. I stood up on the seat and reached back, felt nothing.  Seconds later I felt something hit my right foot, thought nothing of it, I was doing about 80 on the highway trying to make it to an event in the Eureka IL, next town over from mine (group picture to show support for Ben Cubs player Ben Zobrist, he is from that town).   A couple of minutes later, the red "no transponder" light comes on and I realize I am screwed.  Turn around and head back and walk the ditch for a half mile in both directions.

There, I did it, learn from my mistake.  Now be polite and don't tell me what I should have done.  I'm out about $300 because of my mistake and I don't need to hear what I should have done. I am aware I screwed up, the last thing I need right now is to be told how dumb I am.  There are umpteen threads about how to not lose your fob, so if people want to know how not to, they can use the search function.

:rotflmao: shall we have the Historian list those umpteen threads?

Offline jwh20

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2016, 11:18:47 AM »
Can a 2008 fob be reprogrammed to work with your 2012?

FOBs are all the same but you MUST have the ID code that is printed on the package the FOB comes in.  Generally if you have a bike that came with FOBs you will not have this number.  The passive part (i.e. KEY IMMOBILIZER) can always be used since you don't need to know the ID.

Offline jwh20

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2016, 11:21:12 AM »
Well, I can get it done at the dealer for an hour's labor, no need to spend $600.

I do have the passive fob.

I'm near Indianapolis and have a KDS system.  Will be glad to program a new FOB to your bike.  PM me if interested.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2016, 03:00:33 PM »
Now be polite and don't tell me what I should have done.  I'm out about $300 because of my mistake and I don't need to hear what I should have done. I am aware I screwed up, the last thing I need right now is to be told how dumb I am.  There are umpteen threads about how to not lose your fob, so if people want to know how not to, they can use the search function.

:rotflmao: shall we have the Historian list those umpteen threads?

I am tempted!

Now zip it in your inner riding jacket and leave it there!!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2016, 07:24:50 AM »

:-X
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2016, 06:09:44 AM »
Ok, got a fob, got it programmed, half an hour labor, it all works.

Unfortunately, it didn't come with the key blank that is in the fob.  I also want a spare of the key in the passive FOB. I can't figure this out, there are 2 of each to choose from on Ron Ayers website, see image.  Why are there 2 of the key that fits in the back of the active fob, I would think there should be one?

Same for passive key, there are 2, no idea why. Can someone explain this?

Oh, just got back from a 1900 mile trip to Deals Gap.  I had 18,200 and said screw it, let's do 20k. Did Deals Gap 3x, 441 which is crazy, it goes through the Great Smokey Mountains National Park, Cherohala Skyway is stupidly incredible, ride Blue Ridge Parkway, just nuts.  Fun was had, although it was in the low 30's in the morning and even with heated gear, that's cold.  Also, forest fires obscured a lot of views.  And I picked up a nail in a new (was new when I left) rear Pirelli Angel GT, which I plugged, then I ran into rain, so I called it a night. Left Sunday am, got back at 1 on Wednesday. I left on Sunday so I could ride the gap on Monday and avoid the weekend squids. Excellent trip!

Offline amphibsailor

• Just call me Cap'n Crunch, Ted.
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2016, 06:45:24 AM »
Some bikes have an "A" key and some have a "B" key.  I'll see if I can remember where I put the info sheet on this.... 8)
09 Concours aka Cruncher: Corbin Canyon Dual Sport (Laam for longer trips, Corbin Modular with Smuggler for mid-length trips), Top Blocks, Penske 8983, Traxxion AK20s, Helibars Horizon ST bars w/Galfer SS +6 lines, MRA Vario Touring Windscreen/Madstad brackets (Copper Dawg on the way),  Area P full system, throttle tamer, Steve's Flash.

Offline amphibsailor

• Just call me Cap'n Crunch, Ted.
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2016, 07:09:08 AM »
There are two different key codes, an "A" and a "B". Make certain you know which one to order when you have the dealer get one. The letter is on the side of the stove knob key.

The attached image shows the difference.  ;D
09 Concours aka Cruncher: Corbin Canyon Dual Sport (Laam for longer trips, Corbin Modular with Smuggler for mid-length trips), Top Blocks, Penske 8983, Traxxion AK20s, Helibars Horizon ST bars w/Galfer SS +6 lines, MRA Vario Touring Windscreen/Madstad brackets (Copper Dawg on the way),  Area P full system, throttle tamer, Steve's Flash.

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2016, 11:19:42 AM »
Interesting, I wonder why?  More security?

Here's the Blue Ridge Parkway 2 days ago. Note the forest fires, there were lots of them.

Offline O.C.

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2016, 12:12:00 PM »
What a beautiful photograph  :thumbs:     
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2016, 03:10:09 PM »
...Interesting, I wonder why?  More security?...

Doubles the chances of you getting a unique key (or at least one that nobody else local has...)

In High school, my KH400 key would start 3 of the 8 Kawasakis at school.  (and one of the Honda's as well, buthis wouldn't fit in mine...)

I had to start using a chain and padlock to discourage the others after one of the Kawi riders took my bike for a spin while I was in class.   Hmmm, I didn't get expelled for that one...

Fortunately, the KH750 had a 'unique' key.

Jamie
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......