Author Topic: Major electronics and clutch failure  (Read 8113 times)

Offline taras

Major electronics and clutch failure
« on: September 07, 2016, 09:40:44 AM »
Hi everyone, I have made quite a long (3000 miles) trip through south of Russia recently and encountered two failures.
Just sharing experience, maybe someone could use it. My bike, the 40k miles Concours, 2009ABS.
Before I even left my home city of Moscow, I had an electronics faliure, I still cant explain, however it happened once and never came up again.
After a short stop I started riding and noticed some weird stuff on my dashboard. Both turning indicators where shining half power and the headlights were not working. Everything else was running perfect, no errors, no strange behavior. I stopped and tried to turn of the bike, and that was when the nightmare begun, all the lights where flashing sporadically and even the windshield was twitching up and down about an inch. After about 10 seconds, the bike eventually shut down, after I turned it back on, the engine could start, however lamps where still shining and flashing in a random order. Shining and blinking like a Christmas tree I made my way back to the garage, where I took off all the plastic and started unplugging and plugging back all the fuses, relays etc. Eventually, everything got fine, but I could not figure out what was the exact reason for this. This was the strangest thing I ever had with any bike.
Now the clutch. After some aggressive takeovers on my way back from my trip, the clutch started feeling really strange. I was really upset because it was quite late in the afternoon and I was in the middle of nowhere 1000 miles from home. The bike kept running though. The strange thing was that the clutch lever started feeling "empty" while decelerating, and when downshifting with the lever pulled all the way, the clutch seemed to engage for a second and then release. No clutch slipping or other bad things i could notice. In this fashion I made my way back home.
The reason was that star springs got worn out. One of them was missing a "beam", and another came apart in my hands. The pressure plate also had significant signs of wear in the clutch spring holes. So now I am waiting for a pressure plate and star springs.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Major electronics and clutch failure
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 03:11:35 PM »
The first issue sounds like battery/connections problems.  How old is the battery would be the first question, but is no indicator that it's good either if it's been in there less than a year.  Make sure all the ground connections are clean, not just looking clean but cleaned with a wire brush.  They can have invisible corrosion.  If that doesn't fix it then my guess is that a connection somewhere in the harness has corroded.

As far as the clutch goes, I've heard of that happening on a C10, but not a 14.

"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline tthompsr

• 2009 Black Concours
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 03:50:30 PM »
The first issue sounds like battery/connections problems.  How old is the battery would be the first question, but is no indicator that it's good either if it's been in there less than a year.  Make sure all the ground connections are clean, not just looking clean but cleaned with a wire brush.  They can have invisible corrosion.  If that doesn't fix it then my guess is that a connection somewhere in the harness has corroded.

As far as the clutch goes, I've heard of that happening on a C10, but not a 14.
You said the exact same thing when I reported mine went bad!  ::)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 03:58:42 PM »
It bears repeating..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 06:05:27 PM »
You said the exact same thing when I reported mine went bad!  ::)

.....and what was your diagnosis?

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 08:23:37 PM »
Are you sure that the first problem wasn't vodka induced?  Just a thought...
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 08:57:43 PM »
It's certainly induced me a few times  :chugbeer:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 09:26:49 PM »
It bears repeating..

Indeed it does... since we see the same issue over and over and over and over again.

Have one or more of these?

* Problems starting
* Freaking out display
* Unusual indicators
* Relays clicking strangely
* Odd error messages appear
* Suddenly cuts off

Then check/clean/tighten all your battery and ground connections and then try a new battery.

Clutch- that is something totally different.  Very rare to hear any problems with the C14 clutch, other than related to the clutch fluid going bad or having air in the lines.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 03:39:49 AM »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2016, 04:03:58 AM »
 :rotflmao:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2016, 05:06:38 AM »
"all the lights where flashing sporadically and even the windshield was twitching up and down about an inch."

I don't think that we've ever heard of the issue the OP had with his windshield moving up and down by its self while the other electronics freaked out. How would that be possible without the switch being pressed? Without the switch being pressed the circuit is open so where would the power come from to move the shield?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2016, 05:36:08 AM »
"all the lights where flashing sporadically and even the windshield was twitching up and down about an inch."

I don't think that we've ever heard of the issue the OP had with his windshield moving up and down by its self while the other electronics freaked out. How would that be possible without the switch being pressed? Without the switch being pressed the circuit is open so where would the power come from to move the shield?

Since gen has auto lower and also has memory (auto raise), this shows that the windscreen is more than just an on/off switch, it has some amount of smarts (at least on Gen 2).  Now, whether or not it has its own little brain or is connected to the ECU, I don't know..... but there are some electronics there that could "freak out".
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 03:20:36 PM by maxtog »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2016, 05:44:26 AM »
The superior gen 1 windshield stays where you put.

Offline taras

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2016, 05:57:46 AM »

Well I regret, I did not make a video.
But I assure you, this IS possible.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2016, 06:10:38 AM »
Had you been in the rain or washed the bike? Have you added any electrical or electronic modifications?

Offline zarticus

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2016, 08:08:48 AM »
The superior gen 1 windshield stays where you put.
Yes, It gets swollen from all the heat so it does not move as easy  :rotflmao:  :chugbeer:
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14 -  Candy Arabian Red
2014 Kawasaki Vaquero - Candy Burnt Orange
1986 Honda V65 Magna - Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna - Black

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2016, 08:10:46 AM »
 :banghead: :rotflmao:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2016, 09:03:26 AM »
Yes, It gets swollen from all the heat so it does not move as easy  :rotflmao:  :chugbeer:

Shouldn't there be an 'easy boys' in there somewhere?

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2016, 09:05:03 AM »
Since gen1/2 have auto lower, and gen 2 also has memory (auto raise), this shows that the windscreen is more than just an on/off switch, it has some amount of smarts.  Now, whether or not it has its own little brain or is connected to the ECU, I don't know..... but there are some electronics there that could "freak out".

Not true. As GP said, the superior Gen 1 bikes do not have auto lowering windshields or any other such nonsense.

Offline taras

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2016, 09:52:45 AM »
Had you been in the rain or washed the bike? Have you added any electrical or electronic modifications?
Yes, I have been in quite a heavy rain.
I have a number of electrical modifications (heated grips and seat, fog light), however, they all have a separate wiring directly from the battery, the only part that is cut into the oem wiring is the relay, it is connected to the accessory socket, and powers all the extra stuff. The relay draws only about 0,05A from the accessory socket, no other interference with OEM wiring. I hope I have made it clear enough, I am not the native English speaker, you know.