Author Topic: clutch not as aggressive after oil change  (Read 3885 times)

Offline tmswa11

clutch not as aggressive after oil change
« on: September 06, 2016, 09:03:56 PM »
As part of the valve adjustment, I changed the oil from whatever was in there to Rotella T6. After doing this, I don't want to say my clutch is actually slipping, but it definitely is not engaging as aggressively. Has anyone else had this happen when switching from Dino to syn, JASO MA rated, oil?

This is not meant to be a "Which oil is best" thread, just a request for info regarding these circumstances. Please keep it from turning into something it isn't meant to be.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: clutch not as aggressive after oil change
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 05:43:29 AM »
I had no such problem
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline smokin

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 09:53:47 AM »
Stick Amsoil MC full synthetic 10w40 in it and you have the best clutch/gearbox operation you could ever imagine.
SONS OF ARTHRITIS RIDE HARD MEDICATE OFTEN.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 02:09:32 PM »
Really? :popcorn:   Where's Pokey when you need him?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Diablo6v

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 02:15:33 PM »
You don't mention how long its been since you bled the clutch master cylinder? The problem might not be related to your oil change at all.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 04:42:44 PM »
As part of the valve adjustment, I changed the oil from whatever was in there to Rotella T6. After doing this, I don't want to say my clutch is actually slipping, but it definitely is not engaging as aggressively. Has anyone else had this happen when switching from Dino to syn, JASO MA rated, oil?

This is not meant to be a "Which oil is best" thread, just a request for info regarding these circumstances. Please keep it from turning into something it isn't meant to be.
I once read an article on a motor oil industry website that explained clutch problems when switching from dino based oil to synthetic based oil. As I remember it, it said that with long term use (30-40 thousand miles) of dino based oil a varnish type residue builds up on internal engine surfaces. When you put in synthetic based oil the oil can actually dissolve the varnish and particles of it become emulsified in the new oil creasing a slippery mixture that can effect wet clutch performance. The good news was that switching back to dino oil cured any problems. I read this when I first started using Shell Rotella when I owned a 1999 Honda Blackbird, so I am not going to try to find the article, but it might have been on the Rotella site.

Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline zarticus

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 06:04:30 PM »
Stick Amsoil MC full synthetic 10w40 in it and you have the best clutch/gearbox operation you could ever imagine.
:yikes:
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14 -  Candy Arabian Red
2014 Kawasaki Vaquero - Candy Burnt Orange
1986 Honda V65 Magna - Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna - Black

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 06:27:22 PM »
I'm going to throw this gallon of gas on the bon-fire. Look away. ;)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2016, 08:16:31 PM »
 :popcorn:
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline smokin

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2016, 09:06:53 PM »
A quote from "Sports Rider": Can synthetic oils cause my clutch to slip?
To answer this in one word: No. Clutch slippage is caused by many things, but the use of synthetic oil alone is usually not the culprit. The truth is that some bikes seem to suffer clutch slippage no matter what oil goes in them, while others run fine with any oil. This is most likely caused by factors other than the oil, such as the spring pressure, age and clutch plate materials. If you have a bike known for clutch problems, you may have to be more selective in your oil choices. Moly is often blamed for clutch slippage, and it can have an effect-but moly alone is not the problem. We wish there was a hard and fast rule to follow, but it is just not that easy. Simply put, you will have to try an oil and evaluate it. If you experience slippage with the new oil, and have not had problems before, it may be the oil. The plates and/or springs could also be worn to the point that they have finally started to slip. Simply change back to the previous oil and see what happens. You can also check the test data in next issue's article to see if that particular oil has a significant amount of moly. If so, try one that does not have as much moly next time.
We talked to Mark Junge, Vesrah's Racing representative, who has won numerous WERA national championships using Vesrah's clutches. He said that in his years of engine work he has yet to see a slipping clutch that could be pinned on synthetic motor oil. Junge felt that nearly every time the clutch was marginal or had worn springs, the new oil just revealed a problem that already existed.

Offline tmswa11

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2016, 04:23:47 AM »
smokin: While I would love to give the Amsoil a try, the only places that carriy it locally are getting $12/QUART for it! :yikes: :yikes: $60 for just the oil itself is a wee bit steep for my budget. A GALLON of Rotella can be had for $13.

Diablo: As far as I know, the clutch fluid is what was originally in the m/c. That, and the brake fluid, will be getting flushed this winter.

lather: While that does sound totally plausible, the bike only has 16k miles and , at least under the cam cover, there were no signs of varnish, whatsoever.

My reason for suspecting the oil is because I did a test run down the street and back after putting everything back together with the oil that was in it before any work was done. The bike felt like a totally different animal on that test run than it did the next day after I changed the oil to synthetic. Before any of this, I was able to easily beat my friends Ninja 650 across intersections (no longer the case), and I also had strong engine braking when downshifting, and now there is so little, it almost feels like there is none at all. At this point, I will be switching back to plain ole Rotella T this weekend to see if that makes a difference.

Offline smokin

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2016, 08:22:25 AM »
Far enough tmswa11,I pay about $110.00 Austalian for a 3.78ltr and 0.946ltr for 10W-40 Advanced Amsoil Synthetic Motorcycle Oil.Which is roughly what I would pay for an Australian equivalent MC synthetic oil.
Sounds like rotella is a bargin. 

Offline tmswa11

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2016, 12:29:01 PM »
It definitely is. The Rotella T6, full synthetic, is under $25/gallon. Anything that says Motorcycle on the label goes up to about $32/gallon, automatically, even if i's the same as the automotive oil.