Author Topic: A quick helmet review  (Read 3402 times)

Offline scubadoguk

A quick helmet review
« on: July 17, 2016, 05:32:54 AM »
A few weeks ago I bought a helmet from Cycle gear A Bilt Explorer https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/bilt-explorer-adventure-helmet I was taken by the peak and built in sun shield and the price a whopping $69 :) seems these are on sale again.
So what’s it like? well after I had fitted the sena I was pleased to say the interior padding was easy to remove and replace and having read the reports from the ADV rider site I had put Loctite on the small screws on the exterior to keep them in place it was time for a ride.
Well the helmet is not as loud as I had feared ( I wear ear plugs) your own opinion may be different but for me it’s only slightly louder than my scorpion exo1100, the visor is easy to use and the seal is good in the dry as for the wet I cannot say but if I get caught in the rain I will let you know.
So visor down on the road and another good feature was noticed the side to side vision is great, seems the big opening in this style means better side and vertical vision also I did not notice any distortion because of the shape of the visor another win then and the peak makes blinding sun a thing of the past, the drop down sun shade is good but the slide is not a polished and as easy to use as on my scorpion but it works and stayed closed and sprang up when needed.
The vents on the helmet were not easy to use on the go and I did not notice any difference open or closed and even after the mod suggested on ADV rider site, finish seems good, overall very impressed with the purchase let’s see what happens over a few thousand miles.
poo poo occurs..British by birth American by choice

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: A quick helmet review
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 06:15:19 AM »
Interesting info.  Of course, my biggest fear with cheap helmets will always be safety.... which is not something we can really determine except through certifications and scientific testing.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 06:35:31 AM »
...or crash testimonials  8)

Offline scubadoguk

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 06:52:38 AM »
My idea is too look at the design in action and if it is suitable before spending a fortune on a arai helmet  ::) and to be honest these are probably made in the same factory as a lot of more expensive helmets that carry a "better" Name brand.???

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 12:39:58 PM »
My idea is too look at the design in action and if it is suitable before spending a fortune on a arai helmet  ::) and to be honest these are probably made in the same factory as a lot of more expensive helmets that carry a "better" Name brand.???

I absolutely believe that price is not directly related to safety.  A helmet 5x the price is probably not 5x as safe.  But there most likely is some amount of validity to the higher end brands being better built, better tested, and safer... how much?  Who knows for sure.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2016, 01:13:25 PM »
I really like the looks of that helmet, and the intrnal visor,

Is the duck bill easily removable, and does it change the airflow ??

Id like to have one if so...
I've been extremely happy with my Zox Genesis, modulat flip up, it has that insideun goggle flip down also, and it  ran me about $90 iirc, 7 years ago...

I'm a believer that pretty much every DOT and snell rated helmet will protect more than enough of the common head slams on the ground, if the helmet splits or cracks, or even expolodes when subjected to severe trauma, it has done exactly what it was supposed to do, which is take the impact, and absorb it, by whatever means it takes... and is only good for one instance of that.... and its done...
The mega buck helmet companies may produfe better helmets, but how much is "better?".... I think the mega price tag causes people to hold on to a compromised helmet and re use it, when it should have been replaced.... just my opinion...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline scubadoguk

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 02:09:27 PM »
Peak comes off not easy but it will come off, the visors are less than $20 so I have a Dark smoke but I like clear and the drop down and added a stip of smoked tint and its all working well.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 04:07:19 PM »
I'm a believer that pretty much every DOT and snell rated helmet will protect more than enough of the common head slams

My research indicates that having a DOT sticker on a helmet is the "low bar" for safety, since pretty much any helmet sold here must be DOT approved and manufacturers are "self policed".  It is far, far, far more difficult to get a SNELL rating, and no "Bilt" brand helmet has one.  (But the Scorpion EXO-1000, close to the model he replaced, DOES have a SNELL certification).  Only 3 Bilt helmet models out of something like 30 even have ECE 22.05 certification, which is more stringent than DOT and is policed by 3rd parties.

Here is some good info:  https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2013/04/08/motorcycle-helmet-standards-explained-dot-ece-22-05-snell/

The mega buck helmet companies may produfe better helmets, but how much is "better?".... I think the mega price tag causes people to hold on to a compromised helmet and re use it, when it should have been replaced.... just my opinion...

It is certainly not an invalid one either.  It is imperative that any helmet that has been used in an impact be discarded and not reused.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 11:36:08 AM »
Ok, CG has two helmets with this name; the Explorer Adventure and the Explorer Discovery Adventure. According to their website today, the first is sale priced at $109.99 (reg. $199.99) and the second at $59.99 (reg. $149.99).

The link you provided was to the more expensive model, but the price you quoted was not.

Was there an additional sale on top of the sale price?
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline scubadoguk

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 04:57:53 PM »
I paid $69 on sale guess i was right place right time.

Offline timmerz

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2016, 04:45:59 PM »
Question:Does that bill catch the wind at speed? Wore my dirt bike helmet (similar design, more pronounced bill) on my Connie once, never again...

Offline scubadoguk

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2016, 06:18:29 AM »
I was worried that it would too, but as my Rifle is such that to look clearly over the the top i have to sit bolt upright its not caught the wind when I do sit up it seems not to but it has a lot of vents in the bill.