Author Topic: White semi transparent little bottle by coolant drain?  (Read 7409 times)

Offline Awaz

• Arena
White semi transparent little bottle by coolant drain?
« on: July 14, 2016, 06:09:43 PM »
Lot of changes last few years - so have not been active in this forum. But I guess that is life. Anyhow, today I drove home from where I work (two hour one way) and saw a puddle of coolant underneath the bike. Upon inspection I saw that a white plastic bottle (small) covered with a rubber boot is shattered. Not sure what it is for. Is it for coolant overflow? Can I plug the hose for now until I get a replacement?
EDIT: There are two of them. It is the one which has one of its ends capped.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: White semi transparent little bottle by coolant drain?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 06:48:14 PM »
The overflow bottle on the left side is also coolant return. I have not heard of one being broken. I would not ride the bike without this fixed. Pics if possible.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 07:02:34 PM »
I would ride it forever.  8)
Stop for gas and keep riding. When you get low on fuel, stop and refill. You can't hurt a Kawi. 8)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 07:07:03 PM »
I pulled it out a bit to take better pics. Not sure how or when it cracked. But I do not recall seeing a puddle or overheating.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 07:15:28 PM »
Fuel neck overflow, and airbox drain resevoirs... just remove the resevoirs, and ride till ya get new ones.. and al should be good. No big deal, just keeps crap from draining on the floor.. if stuff is draining that much, do some due dilligence, and find out "why"... mine have never had anything in them since purchase 7/7/07.....

Cracked one is likely the fuel overflow, and held gas in it for years, till it made the plastic brittle and it cracked.. and drained....one overfill on a hot day, and it sat with a solvent and reduced the plastic to a brittle stage...
 Tuck the new one back in nicely, or, just put a piece of copper tube in the hose, after taking the bottle off, and adding another length of tube to let it drain on the grojnd.... and then, if there is a drainage, you will see it, and can address the cause.... old tech worked, new tech seems to negate "looking" at stuff...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 07:19:21 PM »
Learn something new every day.  I never even noticed that thing before.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 07:20:30 PM »
mob has it....ride on

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 07:30:39 PM »
Fuel neck overflow, and airbox drain resevoirs... just remove the resevoirs, and ride till ya get new ones.. and al should be good. No big deal, just keeps crap from draining on the floor.. if stuff is draining that much, do some due dilligence, and find out "why"... mine have never had anything in them since purchase 7/7/07.....

Cracked one is likely the fuel overflow, and held gas in it for years, till it made the plastic brittle and it cracked.. and drained....one overfill on a hot day, and it sat with a solvent and reduced the plastic to a brittle stage...
 Tuck the new one back in nicely, or, just put a piece of copper tube in the hose, after taking the bottle off, and adding another length of tube to let it drain on the grojnd.... and then, if there is a drainage, you will see it, and can address the cause.... old tech worked, new tech seems to negate "looking" at stuff...
Hmm...The puddle I saw after I parked the bike definitely looked like coolant. When I looked down (without removing any fairing), I noticed the cracked bottle and assumed that is where the coolant came from. But may I got something else going on here....I will take the fairings off tomorrow and have a better look. It seems my coolant level is way low (almost gone) as well.
I will keep you guys posted.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 08:50:17 PM »
dip your finger in it, and taste it.... im not fooling.. if its sweet, well its coolant, but if it isn't,  . its from the cracked reservoirs.. if it aint sweet, well, its gas; or airbox accumulations.\  i.e oil, and exhaust spooge.. from  tight valves..
you wont die tasting it.. just do it, and spit.  I tell that to all the girls... oops sorry.

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 09:48:29 PM »
dip your finger in it, and taste it.... im not fooling.. if its sweet, well its coolant, but if it isn't,  . its from the cracked reservoirs.. if it aint sweet, well, its gas; or airbox accumulations.\  i.e oil, and exhaust spooge.. from  tight valves..
you wont die tasting it.. just do it, and spit.  I tell that to all the girls... oops sorry.

Well, my driveway soaked up the puddle. I put my nose to it and it does not smell like gas. I tried to run my finger and taste it - tasted bitter. But I did see it be greenish when the puddle was there. It was more like a run than a puddle.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 09:54:38 PM »
Well, my driveway soaked up the puddle. I put my nose to it and it does not smell like gas. I tried to run my finger and taste it - tasted bitter. But I did see it be greenish when the puddle was there. It was more like a run than a puddle.

no prob
the hose from up top drains both over fill on tank, and also water captured in and around the fuel filler cap, in the recess..
 likely its just residual water from rain, or a recent washing, coming out from the area external to the cap seal, hence the absence of fuel smell, and sweetness...

don't sweat it.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2016, 04:57:26 AM »
The lil reservoir with the cap on it is the airbox drain. The (superior) '08 owner manual covers this and says that if the airbox gets water in it that it will drain to the reservoir and that one should remove the lil rubber cap to drain the water and then to replace the cap.

If this reservoir is cracked it will be sucking air.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2016, 06:17:23 AM »
Why does this remind me of this?  Please note that the word sh*t is used profusely (word of the day).

http://youtu.be/16Q3RjHiOcY
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2016, 12:36:11 PM »
The lil reservoir with the cap on it is the airbox drain. The (superior) '08 owner manual covers this and says that if the airbox gets water in it that it will drain to the reservoir and that one should remove the lil rubber cap to drain the water and then to replace the cap.

If this reservoir is cracked it will be sucking air.

My '08 has collectors on both lines, and both are capped....doesn't yours? Just asking...

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2016, 12:40:09 PM »
Why does this remind me of this?  Please note that the word sh*t is used profusely (word of the day).

Remind me to tell you the joke about "wanna buy a toothbrush?" Sometime...

Can't do it on here, but its good campfire humor.....

Offline Conrad

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2016, 01:59:42 PM »
My '08 has collectors on both lines, and both are capped....doesn't yours? Just asking...

Nope, just the one that comes from the airbox has a cap. The other, for the fuel, has a drain hose attached to the other end.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2016, 04:39:29 PM »
If you tap on the airbox  drain hoses, bugs will rain out. Might give you something to do if you're bored. 8)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2016, 07:36:07 PM »
Nope, just the one that comes from the airbox has a cap. The other, for the fuel, has a drain hose attached to the other end.
Okay, I'll look again tomory, and I actually asked myself the exact question, like... how does it drain, wehn air backflow is shutoff,, I'll look in the morn, and shhot apicture,

I really hate typing stuff on my nook touch screen... it sukz worse than doing my phone....

Rant off..
Hehehehehehehhe

Offline Conrad

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2016, 06:45:02 AM »
Okay, I'll look again tomory, and I actually asked myself the exact question, like... how does it drain, wehn air backflow is shutoff,, I'll look in the morn, and shhot apicture,

I really hate typing stuff on my nook touch screen... it sukz worse than doing my phone....

Rant off..
Hehehehehehehhe

The owners manual says that for the airbox drain to periodically check the reservoir and if there's water in it to remove the cap and drain it.   

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2016, 07:10:15 AM »
The owners manual says that for the airbox drain to periodically check the reservoir and if there's water in it to remove the cap and drain it.
Wow, that would indicate you actually read the manual. I'm impressed, C.