Author Topic: Valentine 1 and CA canister  (Read 6673 times)

Offline Snype

Valentine 1 and CA canister
« on: June 28, 2016, 08:14:53 PM »
I really need to do a permanent install of my V1.  I'd like to bury under the right panel, but I have a CA bike. 

First off, how to remove that canister and not screw up the bike performance or drip gas down the inside of the bike?  How are 49 state bike different there?

Secondly, I'm looking for ideas on that V1 install.  I've got a remote dash for it and  some other flashy light farkle to get my attention.  How can I make that space water resistant enough and cool enough to hold the V1

Else

Create a lockable door to be able to access it relatively easily. 

The fall back is to look into converting my flat tank cover to the tank Glove box of the Gen 1. 

Ideas?  Got a fast bike and feel too intimidate by the ticket to open it up.

Looking for advice!
Snype

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
Re: Valentine 1 and CA canister
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 10:01:17 PM »
I removed my canister by putting a small air filter (breather type) on the blue hose and a plug in the green hose (2010 ABS).

I'd ride with a thermometer under there for a while to see how hot it gets. I put my Rostra there as it was designed for engine compartment temps, but I don't know about something almost twice as expensive and designed for a car interior.
I've got my V1 out in the wind and put a bag over it in the rain and take it in with me when I stop (magnetic mount). I have the remote display up high in my face next to the GPS with a Marc Parnes Visual Alert on top of the GPS.
 Good luck!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 04:11:40 AM »
What's a V1?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 04:27:50 AM »
What's a V1?

Subject:  Re: Valentine 1 and CA canister  ::)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 04:29:06 AM »
Still doesn't tell me what it is... 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 05:08:52 AM »
radar detector

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 05:57:01 AM »
Thank you. 

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 06:18:29 AM »
You're welcome.

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 06:23:59 AM »
radar detector

Doesn't help much here. The bloody bastards have got a camera in what looks like an electrical junction box, that snaps you from behind.

One of two ways to avoid getting an unwanted bill in the mail....

1) Cover number plate with A) oil and dirt / B) chain wax and dirt
2) Completely remove number plate...

I normally use option 1 A, as it is easy enough to wipe off when they do pull you over....

Use it, don't use it.... ;D
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline Snype

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2016, 05:28:20 PM »
Gack! I didn't think about heat, and I lost a bloody push rivet. 

2 more questions..

I see you mounted your V1 on the right faring, but I cannot see how you mounted it.. Could you elaborate?  How did everyone else mount their V1s???

And

What size is the push rivet?  I'd like to get a large bag of them online.   Ideas???

Snype..

When you work on your own bike, the work never ends

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 05:49:34 PM »
Mounted mine on left bar with a Ram control mount hard wired to a single helmet speaker.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2016, 12:15:07 AM »
I see you mounted your V1 on the right faring, but I cannot see how you mounted it.. Could you elaborate?
Sorry I don't have a clearer photo than the third one I posted earlier, but I can repeat the exact same photo in this post ('cause I care  ::) )... ;D (click on photo and then click again to enlarge)

I'd like to get a large bag of them online.   Ideas???
Google?  ;D  (sorry, I went twit mode)

Ram Mount on top cover for me. I wanted the V1 out in the clear so it could receive from the front or the rear without hindrance as I see a lot of Police on elevated entrance ramps shooting at traffic flowing away from them and then they roll down the hill and pounce without much chance to even notice them until the lights are on. It might not be necessary but that was my thinking at the time. Also (regardless of effectiveness according to many) why have a laser detector if you're going to hide it from the lasers behind plastic fairings?
The ram plate at the top is magnetic and a small rectangular piece of steel is stuck to the bottom of the V1 and my ugly inner tube rubber band is insurance. I have a large washer under the plastic cover as reinforcement. Yeah the cover could get cracked if the ram mount is accidentally or purposely struck by a bird or an asshat, but it's replacement is only $63 which is usually cheaper than a speeding ticket. I also have a locking knob on the mount just to protect the mount (not the V1) from nearby asshats removing it for me when unattended. (you only need to know one asshat personally before you start assuming they are everywhere, or become paranoid that they are.  :loco: :nuts: )

I don't know the size of the rivet, but it's part number 92039-0051 and the hole is 6mm.

(Before anyone points it out to me, yes, I know the V1 is not going to work without plugging it in. I'm not sure why it wasn't plugged in when I took the photo)

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2016, 11:08:22 AM »
I mounted a ram mount ball on my left side panel ahead of the glove box.   Long story there, works fantastic.  I also keep it behind and below the windscreen as radar travels through plastic. 

I have a Marc Parnes Visual Alert plugged into the earphone jack and mounted dead center on top of the gauges.  It shines the LEDs right in my eyes when it goes off, works great.

My radar detectors have historically died with any water on them when powered on.  I got cute purple little child size shower caps I keep in the glove box so when it rains at work during the day, it keeps rain off it.  If it's not raining hard when riding, I leave the shower cap on, the wind keeps it on.  If it's raining harder, I remove the detector and store it in a bag. I checked into the motorcycle specific TPX brand but it's expensive and has very poor detection scores. 

I have historically bought Beltronics but if you buy from Amazon, they don't cover the warranty PERIOD, because Amazon is not an authorized reseller.  This is what's known as a 'major dick move' and they will never get my money again.  It's throwing false laser codes and will be replaced. 

Picture on Grand Mesa in Colorado last year, you may have to zoom it.

https://flic.kr/p/wbNent

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cpsmith58/8723910094/in/photolist-ehUjx1-ehNAJz

2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F