Author Topic: My new Seth Laam Seat  (Read 16041 times)

Offline MrPepsi

My new Seth Laam Seat
« on: May 11, 2016, 10:25:29 AM »
Ok, so I don't have it yet. I have a stock seat with about 500 miles on it I will be sending off to him for a June 3rd start date, and a three week turn around. I used his online order tool, and heard back from his team the next day.

I'm really stoked. So if I add heated elements for the rider and passenger, doesn't it make sense this could potentially take away from the cushion for those riders? I have never had a heated seat, so I have decided I don't need it this time either, but if you guys said, you MUST get a heated seat, that would be my concern. Wouldn't it somehow take away from my 8 hours of comfort?

Any advice on what to tell Seth and team when I order?
Me: 6' 2" with a 34" inseam
Passenger: 5' 6" with a 30" inseam
I ordered dual, with black vinyl and red thread

What else?
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Re: My new Seth Laam Seat
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 01:23:56 PM »
Ok, so I don't have it yet. I have a stock seat with about 500 miles on it I will be sending off to him for a June 3rd start date, and a three week turn around. I used his online order tool, and heard back from his team the next day.

I'm really stoked. So if I add heated elements for the rider and passenger, doesn't it make sense this could potentially take away from the cushion for those riders? I have never had a heated seat, so I have decided I don't need it this time either, but if you guys said, you MUST get a heated seat, that would be my concern. Wouldn't it somehow take away from my 8 hours of comfort?

What else?
When I ordered mine about two years a go Seth called me when he received my seat and we had a discussion about what I did not like (and also what my passenger did not like) about the OEM seat. I told him what our comfort issues were and he gave his proposals as to what he would do to resolve our issues. The end result was great.   
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

sailor_chic

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 07:30:36 AM »
I have just been through all of this with Seth. He is running about 6 weeks from order time to production day. He will call you and throughly discuss what you need done to your seat.  He's a really nice guy and listens to your concerns. After the phone call, he will have the seat shipped that day or the next.
He sent me pictures of the finished product and a ups tracking number.
The wait is kind of long,  but we'll worth it.  This us my second Laam seat.

Offline old n rusty

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 10:55:10 PM »
Had my concours seat done by Seth 2 years ago, My oldest sons 929rr seat done last year, and just returned yesterday from having my youngest son's ninja 1000 seat done. I only live about 130 miles away so did a ride in on all of them.While he was doing my son's seat, I mentioned that the wife had complained about getting sore after a couple hours in the saddle, he immediately had me remove my seat , took off  the cover, and resculpted the base foam. when he says lifetime, no questions asked,  guarantee, he means it. He does every seat himself, and takes pride in his customers satisfaction. I've run out of kids to get seats for(sorry Seth) but rest assured if there's another bike in my future, it will have a Laam seat.  ;D

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 11:10:45 PM »

What else?

What else?

Seth is the best. I had suffered thru a rock hard Corbin for a year before letting Seth do his magic. Been on the Laam for 4 years and lovin' it.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 05:29:04 AM »
connieboy, what did you have him do to the Corbin?

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 08:35:15 AM »
I wish I could have bought my Laam off the destroyed bike but the insurance co. said till the litigation was over the bike had to stay intact. Great seat. Got a Baldwin in the meantime. Both are excellent for my butt but I would have liked to have both to compare. Laam was easy to work with in my book. You're gonna like it.
2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 08:54:05 AM »
connieboy, what did you have him do to the Corbin?

I sent the stock seat pan to Seth, he called for my stats, and built me a great leather all day seat. After doing a couple of 600 mile days on the Laam, I was convinced and sold the Corbin- good riddance. After 4 years and 75,000 miles, the foam was getting a little thin, I rode in to his shop and Seth completely rebuilt the seat at no cost to me- now that is a warranty I can appreciate. ;D

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2016, 09:25:06 AM »
A ride in was tempting as he is just up highway 101 for me. A good weekend trip.
However I didn't want him to feel rushed.
I may stop by though if I have issues.
Did anyone get a heated seat?
Thoughts on losing foam to the heating element?
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 03:04:16 AM »
Two ways to look at it:
- heated seat is not really needed. I had it on a BMW RT before I bought the C14 and I thought I missed it, so I finally got the heating mats off ebay and installed them. I used them 3 times in a year. So when I finally got fed up with the stock seat and got a Sellerie seat from France (I live in Germany) I skipped the heated option. My opinion: if it is that cold that you'd use the heating, you won't ride anyway.
- the heated insert is thin, an 8th of an inch, probably (I hope you guys appreciate my effort to use your insane imperial units here ;)). So not really a difference, specially at your 6 foot 2".

Now, the read thread...
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2016, 08:50:22 AM »
Great info! Thanks.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Bergmen

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2016, 10:52:53 AM »
A ride in was tempting as he is just up highway 101 for me. A good weekend trip.
However I didn't want him to feel rushed.
I may stop by though if I have issues.
Did anyone get a heated seat?
Thoughts on losing foam to the heating element?

A ride-in is my plan. Redding is about 3 hours away from me so it's doable. I have not contacted him or filled out the form yet. I really do want him to see me sitting on my stock seat and to be able to discuss details about my riding style person-to-person with me there. I will also get a chance to evaluate before hitting the highway home. I also want to take a look at his facility and look at the cover materials before I decide on that as well.

Dan

sailor_chic

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2016, 08:06:27 PM »
I just received my Laam today. I cant wait for mother nature to blow through so I can go for a ride.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2016, 04:09:53 AM »
Good luck with finding dry good weather. 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

sailor_chic

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2016, 07:38:38 AM »
No kidding! We had a record setting 11" of rain yesterday afternoon. Maybe I should buy a boat!

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2016, 10:57:19 AM »
Good luck with finding dry good weather.

You mean it's not 70 and sunny every day where you live like it is here in San Francisco?
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2016, 05:20:54 AM »
Not this year....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2016, 11:42:27 AM »
Seat has been sent to Seth!
Starting to get excited!
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2016, 02:13:44 PM »
Delivered!
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline PH14

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2016, 10:41:22 PM »
Delivered!

Excellent! Now, jump on it and ride 900 miles or so in one sitting and let us know how it feels.  :finger_fing11:

Hope it works well for you. Enjoy!